1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eric Harrison

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sideshow Bob, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

2. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Listen to all those lads and they say he made them the players they were before he handed them over to Fergie.

Must be a horrible thing for him and his family to go through.

3. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Very sad. Very hard to see someone you know in this way and them not knowing who you are. Awful illness.

Influence at the club often understated. More people should know his name.

"When Atkinson was sacked in 1986, his replacement, Alex Ferguson, decided to keep Harrison on as youth coach. Dissatisfied with the number of players coming through the United youth system, Ferguson called a meeting with Harrison to discuss potential improvements. Harrison pointed out that he had already made Norman Whiteside and a couple of others into first team players, but Ferguson argued that this was still not enough. Harrison retorted "Right, we'll do a deal. You get me better-quality players, and I'll get you more youngsters in the first team." Ferguson agreed and set about increasing the club's scouting network two-or-threefold."

4. worriedturkey

worriedturkey Well-Known Member

sadly Eric is not the only one from that era who are going through this kind of illness....Mcguiness is another who unfortuanately cannot afford for a years care what a lot of the first team squad earn in a week....and its through people like those that these people are on the money they're on....it should be wrote into any contract that 'x' percentage is put into a fund for the less well off ex-footballer or member of staff who has fell on harder times....#lookafteryourown

5. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Nobby Styles is in the same position sold all his medals to pay for his care fortunately the club purchased a lot of them to keep them in the museum for his family but sadly they mean nothing to him.

Footballers do pay a percentage of their earnings to the PFA who help with this sort of stuff but the modern top level player won't (shouldn't) need help when they retire as they should be set for life.

6. worriedturkey

The PFA do a lot for the footballers who have fallen on hard times, sometimes to a losing cause ie Gazza. They do a lot of good for lower division footballers but the likes of Harrison, McGuinness and even Nobby were not on great wages, but its through their efforts to make Manchester United the club it is today they deserve the recognition their efforts deserve.

7. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more but it's hard for the club as where do you draw the line?

They do a pretty good job helping the ex players and my guess a guy like Harrison has no problems those class of 92 lads plus Fergie would take care of him even if the club didn't.

If they aren't they all need to take a real look at themselves but sadly dementia isn't something you can do much with, there's no cure, no real treatment that improves quality of life you just have to make sure the people around him i.e. His family have the support to take care of him.

8. worriedturkey

I'm sorry about this, it seems as though i'm just having a go at you. Nothing could be further than the truth. United as a club aren't great with their ex players, even the ones who do the match-day don't get what they used too. Believe it or not, the United legends side that played at Barcelona weren't even allowed club suits - they turned up after the game in anything they had. Behind the scenes United have had real cut back. It is what it is a business...

9. O-Dog

O-Dog Well-Known Member

Great idea. If only the modern day footballer was empathic enough to see it that way.