Eric Bailly | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Eric Bailly’s performances.

EFL Cup: Luton 0-3 Manchester United - 23rd September 2020

His ability to head the ball or lack is worry for me. There were two iffy moments in the game last night.

EFL Cup: Luton 0-3 Manchester United - 23rd September 2020

His ability to head the ball or lack is worry for me. There were two iffy moments in the game last night.
It’s as if you were talking about Lindelof in that sentence. They both have this issue at times.

However, the time in the second half when he raced over the pitch to clear a ball is why he should be in the side. He gives Maguire that protection because he knows Bailly has that pace to make up ground.

Thought he did ok but was against a reserve championship side made a great block on the line after the Henderson save to stop the rebound going in.

Wasn't watching the game to closely last night but didn't see many shockers.

My worry with Bailly is just how much football he has missed in the last few years when he signed he was a raw talent think he'd only played about 50 top flight games in Spain and he's spent 4 years in and out of the side with injury so he's still that raw talent. Missed key development years in his career.

I think in comparison to Lindelöf he's as good with the ball at his feet, he's obviously much better physically but Lindelöf I think reads the game better to limit the number of times he gets caught out whereas Bailly uses his speed to recover when he's caught.

Carabao Cup: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-3 Manchester United - 30th September 2020

Played very well again in the league cup obviously not up against the greatest opponent but didn't put a foot wrong.

Based on these two games Ole must be seriously considering putting him in but the injury issues are always going to be a lingering doubt.

Carabao Cup: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-3 Manchester United - 30th September 2020

Played very well again in the league cup obviously not up against the greatest opponent but didn't put a foot wrong.

Based on these two games Ole must be seriously considering putting him in but the injury issues are always going to be a lingering doubt.
Yep, he will want to know he can stay fit before risking putting Lindelof's nose out of joint

Yeah to be fair think Bailly has been fit since lockdown the only period he was out for was after he got that blow to the head vs Chelsea in the cup semi final.

The more you see him the more obvious it seems that he should be given the chance to partner one of the other two but the bloke is just made of glass and when he gets injured he's gone for months never seems to be him missing one or two games it's always one or two months.

Bloke has been so unlucky

He is one of the squad that looks quite match fit and sharp to be honest. Chances of a start at the weekend? Hmm I just can't see it.

Probably our best defender. But the kids. They call him Mr Glass.

In the Carabao Cup match v. Brighton, Bailly made a tackle on the right side of our 6 yard box. He leapt with both feet off the ground and landed right at the perfect spot to take the ball and cleaned out the attacker. It wasn't a slide tackle so much as a hop tackle. It's the kind of tackle that if you get it even a little bit wrong you get a straight red and the player you tackled gets a lengthy stay in the hospital. The commentators were bemused. Bailly seems to rely on this latch-ditch style of high stakes tackling, but I don't like the "all or nothing" approach to defending in our box. I think his style is dangerous in terms of reds, penalties, and broken legs.

Recall that the pitch was soaking and it was already hard to stay in control. It was a fair tackle but just barely within the letter of the law. I'd rather a defender stayed on his feet. Bailly seems brainless when he plays, like he's distracted and thinking about his shopping or something, like when he gave away that penalty recently with a dumb handball.

I just don't see it, I don't think he's top class and he would be a disastrous partner with Maguire. I think we should move Bailly on.

Yes I recall that clumsy challenge and was surprised when the Sky commentator praised it. He does have this aspect to his game but I wouldn’t move him on yet.
I would like to see him get a good run that he can truly be judged on. There are times when he is impressive as well.

I tend to agree, Bailly has some good parts to his game, but he is reckless.

Bailly should displace Lindelof. He and Maguire is a better partnership and they will mask each other’s weaknesses: Maguire’s lack of pace/mobility and Bailly’s struggles to compete against opponents in aerial battles.

He's certainly got a very rash tackle in him and VAR will not be his friend so he needs to learn to control that urge and not dive in the way he does sometimes.

He doesn't really do slide tackles he does lunging tackles which slowed down always look so much worse and will attract the attention of the refs.

If we put Baillys good points together with Lindeloffs we'd have a great defender.

That seems to be Baillys issue that he is over indulgent and rash. Maybe his development has been hampered by too many injuries.

Baillys motto: Why tackle with your feet when your head can do it just as well

Yes I recall that clumsy challenge and was surprised when the Sky commentator praised it. He does have this aspect to his game but I wouldn’t move him on yet.
I would like to see him get a good run that he can truly be judged on. There are times when he is impressive as well.
I retract the above statement. Today convinced me he could never be good enough.
On todays showing and the season to date has to be determined that our 2 best CBs is Lindelof and Smalling.

He's an odd player is Eric looks mad as a box of frogs the pass he played in for the 3rd goal was suicidal but when Utd were on the ropes in one corner he wins the header then makes two blocks to stop shots at goal.

Personally he's not one I'd single out for the treatment yesterday.

In terms of talent and physicality he is probably the best at the club. The problem is he is very reckless and this promotes panic in the defence. Some of the mistakes he makes he has the speed to recover but nobody else in the defence has that pace. Bottom line, we need a centre half.

Bailly’s stamp on Kane isn’t being mentioned too much. I think it looks deliberate, which would have merited our second red card, which would have turned it into an utter humiliation. Stupid action on top of brainless defending.

He is too crazy, they should have stuck with Lindelof.

I know I'm on my own, and he's not brilliant, but out of the three, Lindelof is the best.

I still think Maguire is the best despite yesterdays performance. But nobody should have a guaranteed place. If we were to bring in another centre half then they all have an opportunity to be the number 1 partnership. That is how squads are supposed to work.

I had a dream Bailly and Boris Johnson were our new CB pairing.
I think I will spend the day relaxing in the shed.

Can see why Ole was reluctant to put him in but the way he played in those two league cup games did give the manager a choice to make one which he possibly regrets.

Looks like his entire defence confidence is rock bottom every single one of them is in rotten form.

is that Henderson organises them more? gives them more confidence?

Think you have to factor in the quality of opponent Bailly was up against he's played the Luton reserves and the Brighton reserves in the 2 league cup games going up against Son and Kane is a totally different challenge.

For me yesterday the panic came from Maguire that first goal he was all over the place he's not usually like that.

well, I think he is like that, those games towards the end of last season he was just the same.

Let’s not act like we’re defensively sound with Lindelof in the side. We conceded 3 to Palace with him at fault for all 3 and it should have been more fcol

they'd had one pre season game and 5 days training, against a team who played a lot more.

I'd like to see those goals again to see if he was at fault for all. Anyway, this is about Maguire, who is at fault for just as many goals but doesn't get the same grilling.

Maguire is not very good. Simple.

It’s not simple. It’s incorrect to start with. If Maguire isn’t very good the neither is Lindelof because he’s the poorer player let’s not use yesterday to paint this picture of Lindelof that simply isn’t true. He’s a below average premier league footballer who wouldn’t get in to most sides. He’s constantly making errors and has been dropped because of how poor he’s been so far this season. He’s not been dropped for performing excellently. The fact he’s been dropped for Bailly should tell you everything you need to know.

and looking at Maguire this season and the end of last season should tell you all you need to know, he is terrible.

All our CB's are rubbish, and we should bring back Smalling. Amazed I'm saying that.

It's actually about Bailly the bloke finally gets in the team and then within 5 minutes his partner has made 4 or 5 errors that result in 2 easy goals for the opponent. He then compounds it with his own gaff for the 3rd and now we probably have 3 centre backs all at rock bottom confidence wise.

Can argue about who the best player is right now both Maguire and Lindelöf are in bad form they are both better than they are currently playing.

Bailly is just what we know he is a talented player but he's got a gaff in him, he makes rash decisions and gets injured a lot which is why Ole has never really trusted him but Lindelöf's form has been so bad he finally decided to make the change.

Death Taxes and Bailly getting injured.

Tuanzebe better get himself fit and ready because your now number 3 centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back