Red Cards
Total 0
Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0

Previous Seasons
Eric Bailly | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Banned for 2 more games in Europe for his red card in the Europa semi final.

1 will be the Super Cup vs Real Madrid the 2nd will be our first group game.

Premier League: Swansea City 0-4 Manchester United - 19th August 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Stoke City 1-1 Manchester United - 9th September 2017

Asleep for the opening goal.

Yep played the winger onside as he didn't get out then didn't recover to get goalside for the cross.

Switched off and got punished.

When is he expected back?

From what I read he only picked up a slight knock that kept him out of the Liverpool game. Potentially out of Benfica game but hopefully back next weekend.

Have we been saving him, keeping him fresh for the next 3 games?

I would hope so, I would panic if we had Lindelof and Smalling starting tomorrow

You'd panic mate? I'll be crying and heavily drinking if I see that tag team against line up against Liverpool tomorrow!

hahaha ok ok ok I would be joining you drinking the barrel dry my friend lol

This is how my morning will pan out tomorrow...

11.30am: team sheet comes out.
Me: "His done what?" "He's only gone Smalling and Lindelof again and left Eric on the bench!" "What's he playing at?"
Crack off comes the beer bottle lid.
Boss: "Max are you drinking at work?"
Me: "Of course I bloody am!" "You seen this line up"

It would be a ballsy move to chuck him in for Liverpool after 4 months out when he's only played about 20 minutes as a sub, my guess is he'll come back in for Sevilla & Brighton which are probably the more important games as they are proper knockouts.

When he does come back it'll be interesting to see who he pairs him with out of Smalling & Lindelof, I'd actually quite like to see the Bailly & Lindelof partnership vs Brighton as they've not had any game time together.

hahaha mine will be:

9am "Lads come on then, cafe for breakfast"
10am "Hurry up the pub is opening"
10.01am "First pint of the day"
11.30am "All over FB and Twitter kicking off about the line up and the fact that Lindelof, Smalling, Fellani, Young, Mata are all starting"
12.30pm "First Brandy of the day"
6pm "Doghouse after falling in smashed"

It would be a ballsy move to chuck him in for Liverpool after 4 months out when he's only played about 20 minutes as a sub, my guess is he'll come back in for Sevilla & Brighton which are probably the more important games as they are proper knockouts.

When he does come back it'll be interesting to see who he pairs him with out of Smalling & Lindelof, I'd actually quite like to see the Bailly & Lindelof partnership vs Brighton as they've not had any game time together.

10am "Get me a Brandy"

haha

hahaha mine will be:

9am "Lads come on then, cafe for breakfast"
10am "Hurry up the pub is opening"
10.01am "First pint of the day"
11.30am "All over FB and Twitter kicking off about the line up and the fact that Lindelof, Smalling, Fellani, Young, Mata are all starting"
12.30pm "First Brandy of the day"
6pm "Doghouse after falling in smashed"

Brilliant mate!

Can see big Eric getting thrown in, but in a back 3. Just sweeping up after Lindelof or Smalling. Just a thought.

Either way need him back.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool - 10th September 2018

That 90 minutes totally summed him up really.

Block after block, an amazing drag back turn, a comedy own goal and almost started a fight because he thought someone kicked Smalling.

He’s a mad man but good to have him back.

So good to have him back. Great one v one defender and has pace to recover. Unfortunate own goal, he couldn't do that again in 100 attempts. That Zidane roulette he did was sublime and at the same time hilarious.

Champions League: Manchester United 1-2 Sevilla - 13th March 2018

At fault for both goals.

He has the potential to develop into a top defender, but at the minute, he’s a bit overrated. His positional awareness and heading ability are weaknesses.

Made an goal saving tackle at 0-0 no idea who's man it was supposed to be but Bailly got back timing a perfect tackle to stop a guy having a free shot from 12 yards out.

I think he was done by a great bit of skill for the first goal you've got to give some credit to the striker Bailly made a covering run to bail out Smalling who'd lost his man but that little pause and shift by Ben Yedder gave him no chance at making a block.

On the 2nd goal was he supposed to be marking Correa?

Made an goal saving tackle at 0-0 no idea who's man it was supposed to be but Bailly got back timing a perfect tackle to stop a guy having a free shot from 12 yards out.

Bailly was at fault.

How was Bailly at fault? He was playing defence on his own all night. The recovery challenge he made Rashford was the only one back with him.

I don’t know if it was shown on TV, but Matic has a right go at Bailly after the recovery tackle.

Also Bailly was our best player. Lukaku will never be good enough until he can sort out his first touch.

No way was Bailly United’s player. The recovery tackle aside he was fairly poor. His positional sense was terrible at times.

Ferdinand blamed him for both goals.

I thought a bit like Liverpool he was playing well up to the hour mark but a moment where he's switched off almost cost him and there was a horrible pass he played straight to a Sevilla attacker in the first half under no pressure at all.

The guy has been out for 4 months I don't know how much he's played with Smalling since he came to the club my guess would be not often but he's shown good signs and bad signs ever since he came in.

What surprised me was it was Smalling who went as the auxillary striker for the last 5 minutes rather than Bailly who wasn't going up for corners so I'm not sure if he's fully fit yet, I'd be surprised if he starts against Brighton and I just hope he comes back from internationals in one piece because he's picked up injuries twice playing for Ivory Coast. I'm torn between saying I hope they don't pick him and he gets rest and they probably need to pick him to give him some game time to get the rust out of his system.

I just want them to settle him in with a partner if that is Smalling then fine but we need to get that defensive partnership going.

FA Cup: Manchester United 2-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - 17th March 2018

He was iffy at times.

I think that's a fair comment. I think his a fantastic defender. His aggressive. His strong. His everything the other centre backs we've got aren't. But being 23 there's still times his abit naive and does something extreme instead of simple. There's been examples were he could just mark his man or track his runner but switches off and ends up having to a last ditch tackle to recover.

I think his someone who would massively benefit from playing next to a calmer, more experienced, possibly older head. To shadow him and teach him when to just stay with someone and when to make that goal preventing challenge. His raw. His so quick and athletic. No doubt he could be a top top centre back in time.

Think he’s looked rusty at times in every game he’s played since he came back been out for a long time so hopefully it’s just a bit of getting back in the rhythm.

He’s still a young kid who’s learning the game and having someone with a bit more calm and experience next to him might help, didn’t he play with Rojo quite a bit last season? I think on paper they are our best pair but injuries mean they haven’t really played together.

I would rather see Rojo as the back up to Bailly then partner him long term. They both play the game aggressively which is great, but you need a centre back next to players like to sweep and cover any mistakes. Very similar to Vidic and Rio. Vidic was all action, strong, loved a tackle and so brave. All qualities I see in Bailly. But Rio was capable of mopping up behind. Bringing the ball up. Being a calm head. They complimented each other so well. You stick a reader of the game like a Varne or Alderweireld next to Eric we would have a perfect partnership back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back