English Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, after a dismal world cup, the world, the press and their dogs in Italy and more close to home, England, have decided that it's grass roots issues that affected the lazy performances of overpaid players. So, in England we blame the lack of English players playing at the top clubs. Putting aside that Rooney, Carrick, Scholes, Rio, Brown, Foster, Neville, and Smalling are or were last season part of the United squad, which English players, in your opinion, are good enough to step up to the big teams? Putting money issues aside, what English players would you sign in order to make United and England better.

A quick list of potentials (based on players under 26 or so, who would leave their clubs)- Cahill of Bolton, Green of West Ham, Hart of City, O'hara of Spurs, Shawcross of Stoke, Mancienne of Chelsea/West Brom (like Chelsea will ever play him!), Warnock of Blackburn, Wheater of Middlesborough, Rodwell (Ok, we all want him!), Vaughan, Leon Osman, Leighton Baines, Tony Hibbert, Gosling all of Everton, Young, Agbonlahor and James Milner of Villa, Micah Richards of Manchester City, Jay Spearing of Liverpool (He might as well leave now unless Hodgson changes things), Carlton Cole of West Ham, Tom Huddlestone of Spurs, Steven Taylor of Newcastle.

The list is long, and I'm sure I'm missing some young guns off. They all have their merits, overpriced in some cases (Milner, Young etc), but talented they are. Could you see any of them improving at United and improving our squad?

An outdated list of names from 2007/9 can be found below - I'm sure I've missed some new stars off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 08998.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eague.html

My list of England Squad future stars would be Mancienne, Shawcross, and Cahill - all set to become future England Squad defenders (Mancienne may replace Rio eventually for country). Jay Spearing deserves a proper crack at the EPL, sadly for the player it won't be at his hometown club. He has the skill to become a regular for country but really needs games to start avoiding turning into a Keiron Richardson. And Rodwell, the real true gem in the pack and the one who would be best staying at Everton in order to keep his feet on the ground and become an England legend (example - Wayne Rooney and his rant at the fans).

was planning to write an article on the probs with the lack of depth in the England setup.
Need names of possible wingers Capello could have chosen from, also Defensive mids and Rb's

Wingers: RW- Lennon, SWP, Walcott and Milner
LW- Young, Johnson and Joe Cole
Dm's: Hargo, Parker, Barry and (last resort) Barton?

Rb's: Johnson, Neville, Brown??

any names i'm missing?

I deliberately left Cleverley out as he is already a United player, same too goes for Wellbeck. Both have excellent futures. Campbell may develop away from united with enough support.

As for wingers gambit, we have little coming through. Wilshire and Jonjo Shelvey . (are they wingers?)

I expect Rodwell to become a top DM rather than an attacking midfielder or defender. Is Scott Parker now considered a DM?

Phil Bardsley for RB. Steady but not United quality and not England level. Stephen Darby of Liverpool. Looked impressive when played but under their old manager was never gonna break through, same as spearing. I think Gerrard was liverpool's last youth player to truly breakthrough. (warnock had to leave to emerge!)

Problem is that the big teams have hundreds of youth players stuck at youth level and they just disappear into mediocrity, let down by the initial belief that A: they are United, Pool, Arsenal youth players and soon to be superstars, and B: It's only a matter of time before they break into the reserves and then the gaffer will notice them. Sadly, he is too busy looking out for Angel Di Marias, Nani's, Torres', and Fabregas'. They don't get into the reserves as 300 players at youth level can't get into a 30 man reserve squad. So they get broken-hearted, some quit for as new club, some fight on at the club or elsewhere with even more effort and make it, and some leave the game altogether let down by the first two assumptions. I used to know a 17yr old Everton youth player who had played alongside Rooney. He was an incredible player and kept me out the local team a few years later cos he was a million times better than me. Everton had moved Rooney straight into the 1st team at 16, he was let go. He quit footy altogether. Snubbed Bury, Bolton, Tranmere etc and just got a basic job. He's one of hundreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.