England vs Switzerland Friendly

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45404026

England really need a win we've lost 3 on the bounce so a win is actually quite important now just to stop some awkward questions being asked in the media as I don't think we've ever lost 4 games in a row but Switzerland are a strong opponent they've got a good side who've been together for a long time.

Alli has pulled out injured and Chilwell & Grey have been called up to the squad for this game.

You would assume changes will be made as it's only a friendly but you assume we will stick with the 3-5-2 and you can't just make loads of changes my guess is he'll start quite strong and then look to take off the players who played 90 mins in the first game and have european fixtures coming with clubs around 60 minutes.

Butland

Walker Stones Maguire

Alexander-Arnold Lingard Henderson Delph Rose

Rashford Kane

There's pressure to change the system but I think it works quite well because we've got great full back/wing back options but no real wingers apart from Sterling. The issue really is fitting Walker & Trippier into the same team personally I think they should only pick one as the wing back and play a proper 3rd centre back. I think the real challenge for England is finding players who can dictate and create chances in the midfield I like Alli & Lingard but does either really have the ability to open up the opposition when they are packed in tight?

Kane is going to be rested and Dier will captain the side according to reports.

Think it's the right thing to do Kane never really looked fit at the world cup.

Anyone watch the game?

Was a strange first half 2 teams trying to play out from the back but neither looked in any way comfortable doing it to me it felt like the midfield weren't creating the right angles to either take it straight from the keeper or give the defender taking the ball an easy passing angle. I don't think Butland was happy playing that way either looked very nervous as I can only assume that playing style was a bit alien to him.

England were the better side second half but we were all over the place first half.

I think the midfield would work better with Delph in the centre if Henderson isn't playing as Dier just isn't good enough on the ball in midfield to play that role.

I watched it and you’re correct the first half was very poor. They were dominating the play and could have had a couple. It seemed like a bunch of strangers thrown together not really knowing what the other person would be doing.

I know you have to give people minutes but is it worth making that many changes surely the people coming in should be coming in to the team they’d have to play with if there was an injury. 8 of your expected starting 11 and then 3 others getting used to the system. 2 of those players play in our starting 11 how does that help anyone get used to the system they’ll be playing in?

Was happy to see Chilwell make his debut late on as I think this guy has a really high ceiling. I’d have been in for him 18 months ago when we were unsure on Shaw.

Also I’d like to see Grielish come in to the squad think he offers something no one else in the team does.

I think you just judge individuals by how they cope with the style rather than the the way the team performed as it was a team that was thrown together and the nations league will probably make friendlies even more friendly if that makes sense.

Butland, Tarkowski & Dier I felt really struggled with the style of play as for two of them it's totally different to the style they play at club football and Dier I think could play that way in a back 3 but I think he struggles in that central midfield role. Most of the others I think showed they could handle the system but I don't think any apart from Rashford & Rose laid down a marker to take a starting position from the team that played at the world cup.

I think the one to come into the midfield could be Cook from Bournemouth possibly for Loftus-Cheek if he doesn't play enough for Chelsea as currently Barkley is ahead of him at club level but I don't see him coming back under Southgate & Foden if he can start getting regular games for City could get fast tracked up. There will be calls for Wilshere but he's looked very average at West Ham so far so I don't see why they'd think about bringing him back in but if he can show that he's back to the player he was then he'd walk back into the setup as we need players who are comfortable on the ball.

The problem for Grielish is until he gets back to the prem it's unlikely he'll get the call I haven't seen much of him but it sounds like he's grown up a bit in the last few years. The real wildcard is Sancho if he keeps getting regular games at Dortmund it won't be long before he gets the call up and I think a close eye will be kept on the lads who've decided to take their chances abroad.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back