England Starting XI

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018' started by jsp, Jun 8, 2018.

1. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

So we know the squad and we've seen the friendlies so who do we think will be the starting XI for the first game?

Seems like the 3-5-2 is set in stone it's been a long time since we did something else.

My guess is

Pickford

Walker Stones Cahill

Trippier Lingard Henderson Alli Young

Sterling Kane

I think the only ones I'm unsure on are Cahill, Lingard & Young I think all the others are nailed on starters.

2. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

I preferred a lot of the selections last night to Saturday. I thought Jones had a very good game, Maguire not so much. Can Jones play that LCB role though instead of Cahill? I'm not sure, Cahill has the experience of playing that side and playing in a 3. I prefer the left footed option of Rose on the left over Young especially against the weaker 2 sides up first, against Belgium i'd prefer Young given how well he did in the big games for us but like for us you want someone to be taking the ball to the byline or at least offering that against weaker teams. I don't think either have done very well over the 2 games, Young made some defensive mistakes which he tends to do when he's not given a specific defensive job to do as per Liverpool/Salah. Can't look past that midfield, I was quite impressed by Henderson last night. Don't think he should start but despite what Wright and Dixon said last night, I thought Loftus-Cheek had a very good game and looked at home in there. I'd actually put Lingard in over Dele if it came to it and Southgate wanted Dier and Henderson in there. And i'd go with Rashford over Sterling on international form. Think for the first 2 games, England can go with the more attacking options, Dier and Henderson might be needed against Belgium and maybe you'd pick a more defensive CB over Walker?

Pickford; Walker, Stones, Cahill; Trippier, Lingard, Henderson, Alli, Rose; Rashford, Kane.

3. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a tough one with Cahill his best performance this season at Chelsea have been in the middle of the 3 he has really struggled on the left of the 3 for them probably because his legs have started to go a bit and you have to be comfortable going out and defending in wide areas. If we were picking purely on form I'd probably have him in the centre of the 3 over Stones right now as he's just not been playing enough football and with Walker in the back 3 he's your guy to step out with the ball. I think Jones has played a few games on the left of the 3 for Utd this season I could be wrong but when we've used that system it's often been him who's been on that side.

I guess the sytem vs Belguim will depend on what we need assuming we don't need a win to go through my guess is we will go to a 4-3-3 in that game and probably play Dier, Henderson & Alli as the midfield 3 then have Rashford/Sterling wide of Kane in the front 3.

4. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

I'd like to see...

Butland (don't trust Pickford)

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier Loftus-Cheek Dier Alli Rose

Rashford Kane

I don't like Sterling especially not in an England side that is nowhere near the quality of Citeh. I like what Loftus-Cheek brings to the midfield and overall I'd just like to see a youthful approach.

5. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

Please don't tell Southgate is using Young as a left wing back too? Just read a report he will start against Tunisia. Am I missing something here? We have no better options with a left foot?

6. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

I don’t get it either. Rose Baines Cole Delph Shaw Bertrand are all players I’d have in front of him at LB. His legs were quite clearly struggling in the back half of the season.

7. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Cole? Is he still playing?

My guess is he feels Young will be able to cheat and stay high up almost like a winger so he probably gives him the better attacking option for Tunisia & Panama which might be games where we need to score a lot of goals if we want to top the group. I'd expect Rose to come in for the Belguim game and possible the knock out rounds. Having Young & Trippier should allow you to get good crosses into the box for a striker like Kane but the Ashley Young cut back and cross to the backpost is not the potent weapon it was 10 years ago it's almost like teams have worked it out a bit.

The worry with Rose seems to be his fitness/sharpness as he's not played a lot of football this season, I would've taken Bertrand ahead of Young don't think he really deserved to get dropped at the last minute as he'd been in every squad and done nothing wrong.

Young I think is liked by managers because he always tends to do the sensible thing he rarely does something crazy which is why he's quite predictable and with a lot of young players in that side I think Southgate wants him and Cahill there to kind of keep an eye on them make sure they don't get to caught out of shape. It's bad enough having Young on the left when he's a left back but playing wing backs they are your width so having a right footer on the left makes us narrow as he will always want to come inside.

If the only defensive signing this summer is Dalot who is coming in as a backup right back then we aren't getting anywhere near City I'm hoping all the talk about Utd walking away from Alderwiereld & Sandro is just negotiation tactics and rumour because it needs sorting if we want to kick on again.

8. Red Warrior

It's knockout football, we need crosses and goals to progress. Young can't do this so why is he there. He seems the safe option to me. Safe wont win you tournaments.

9. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you, but England aren't winning no matter who he plays.

10. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Young probably had more goals and assists than any left back in the league last season apart from Marcos Alonso.

I know I'm very critical of Young never rated him and I will probably never let that go but I can see why he'd be picked vs the weaker teams who will look to sit deep and want us to break them down. I don't really think his crossing is that great but it's better than Rose.

11. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

Get out of here with that talk you!

12. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

:D

13. Red Warrior

What? You can't be serious?????? :)

14. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

Well... I think it's fair to say after last night that the team played well in patches and looked better than most England teams in recent history but tweaks need to be made.

I'd bring in Rose to give us an outlet on the left like we have on the right. Young didn't do much wrong but still.

RLC for Alli and Rashford for Sterling. Panama is the perfect game to do it and we will need their pace and creativity to break them down.

15. Red Warrior

Exactly what I'd do. I got a feeling he will leave it as it, persevere and use that same subs around 60 mins to inject some pace towards the end

16. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

If everyone is fit I don't see any point in changing it they played well last night created loads of chances just didn't take them which they need to do. I like having Rashford & RLC as options off the bench to come on against tired defences, the only change I'd make would be if Alli is struggling with an injury then start RLC.

When it comes to the knockout games changes probably need to be made probably Rose in for Young and Dier/Delph in for one of the attacking midfield players and I'd probably look to change Sterling for Vardy from the start to give us two strikers up top. I think vs the better teams we will need to protect the defence a bit better but for Panama we can stick with this attacking line up.

17. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

I think you're right bud. I think they'll go with the same players except if Alli isn't fit. And if that's the case I'm not sure it means RLC comes in from the start. Unfortunately although I'd love to see it I do agree Southgate will like the injection of pace in the second half of games when we need to change it.

And I guess that's OK just needs to be earlier than the 80th minute.

18. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Delle Alli sat our training today as he recovers from thigh injury.

I wouldn't take any risks with him for Panama put Loftus Cheek in from the start, hopefully take our chances early on meaning you can put guys like Delph/Dier on later in the game to close it out.

19. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

Loftus-Cheek deserves a start after making an impact the other night, Dele and Lingard a little similar in terms of physicality, Loftus-Cheek's got a lot more about him physically and has the technical ability to go with it. Give him a chance and if he does well and England win and confirm last 16 place, maybe give him another start to see how he'd do vs Belgium because he does add something different that England lack.

20. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think we should keep Loftus-Cheek as a sub to give us an impact option off the bench. Lingard & Alli ripped Tunisia apart first half to the point where second half they camped on the edge of their own box. Yes Lingard blew his chances but that's a bit out of character for him.

The papers are reporting some coaching notes found by someone in the press pack suggest that Sterling might be dropped for Rashford in the next game.

If we want to top the group we probably need a big win vs Panama so maybe he will go with 2 out and out strikers.

21. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

We don't want to top the group!!!!!!

But still i'd change the formation. Maguire out. Trippier (unlucky) out. It's Panama we don't need 3 CB's playing. 4-2-3-1

22. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

We do if Germany win their last 2 games and top their group!!!!!!!!!!

We will obviously have the luck of knowing what suits us better in the final game but I don't ever want to see an England side playing to lose to get a favourable draw if we get the Germans in the quarter finals bring it on.

I agree with the formation but if we were going for a back 4 it would be a complete overhaul for me as I think in a back 4 our best defence is Walker Jones Cahill Rose and thats a massive overhaul. That back 3 will get ripped apart by the better teams because it never looks like they're organised and covering each other in case someone gets beat one vs one.

As long as we play two attacking mids with the 2 attacking wing backs 3-5-2 is a pretty attacking system as you only really ever end up with 3 back as one of the CB's is joining the midfield all the time.

23. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

If Germany do win their group then it really doesn't matter either way. It's a pick em between Germany/Brazil. But if Germany do finish second and we know that going in the other side of the draw would mean avoiding any of the big guns until the Semi's it would be silly not to take it in to consideration.

24. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

I also imagine Cahill will come in as a covering CB against the bigger teams.

25. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I don't think you can ever ask your players to lose a game of football because what it's saying to them is lads I don't think we can beat Brazil or Germany so lets run away and hide from them, as a manager you've got to take it head on you might think it but you can't say it. As a manager you have to build the belief that you can beat anyone if you stick to the plan the moment you show fear of the opposition you're done for.

Assuming we need to get a result in game 3 I'd be looking to make a number of changes anyway for that game and the knockout games to make us more solid. I'd want Rose in for Young, Cahill in for Maguire or Trippier (with Walker going to right wing back), Dier/Delph in for Lingard or Alli then I'd want Vardy up top with Kane off him instead of Kane off Sterling. I'd still want us to play on the front foot which is why I'd play 2 proper strikers but I think we'd need a few more players who are more defensively minded if we go gung ho against the top sides our defence would get ripped to pieces.

I think England are to far along with 3-5-2 but in the knockout games I'd like to see us play

Pickford

Cahill Stones Maguire

Walker Alli Henderson Delph Rose

Vardy Kane

Leaves you plenty of options on the bench if it needs changing up Rashford/Welbeck to freshen up the front, Sterling if we want some width, Loftus-Cheek if we want a bit more control in midfield, Dier if we want to tighten it up.

26. Red Warrior

I can't see how you could even think about dropping Trippier after how he played against Tunisia

27. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Because Walker is the best right back in England and if we go to a back 4 he should be playing that position.

Trippier is only playing because Southgate decided to put Walker in the back 3.

It's brutally harsh on Trippier who played well against Tunisia but football is harsh sometimes.

28. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

Alli is a big doubt, only reason we're talking about Loftus-Cheek starting, all i'm saying is if Alli does miss out and Loftus-Cheek takes his chance, does well and England get to 6 points then give him another go and play Alli too, give Lingard a rest as for me he is guaranteed starter, Alli not been in great form last 12 months.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sterling left out, hasn't looked at it at all. Media attacking him every day, also talk about his contract talks stalling and that doubt about his future won't be helping.

29. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

I think actually... They believe the team has been accidentally leaked by the assistant coach? And it shows a lot of changes.

30. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

I briefly saw that photo this morning. Two things, why would England play mind games against Panama, and secondly, it looked like two people were listed in each position. I assume they have jumped to the conclusion the first one listed is the starter?

31. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I've heard two changes from the leaked team which is RLC in for Alli & Rashford in for Sterling.

32. RichH2016

RichH2016 Moderator

Yeah I saw that... Although I feel like Trent was down as RWB? But maybe his name was below Trippier's.

33. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

For all we know the picture they showed could've been for a specific drill or maybe something they were looking at for the Belguim game rather than the starting line up.

The team always gets leaked the team for Tunisia was in the papers for almost a week before the game and it was bang on.