England Squad Announced

jsp

England face the Czech Republic and Montenegro later this month

25 man squad announced

Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton, Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford
Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, James Tarkowski
Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Declan Rice
Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

Seems mad that we are calling up 3 right backs and 3 left backs surely based on form Rose & Trippier shouldn't be getting called up.

Southgate has said Ward-Prowse only just missed out not sure why Winks has been left out assume he's injured again.

Good that they've called up Rice but of our 7 midfielders 5 are defensive midfield players which highlights a real weak spot in the squad.

SuperRash

A few strange things for me:

Like jsp said, why so many full backs? Two each is fair, who knows why there is three each. Also on form Wan-Bissaka is ahead of Trippier and Walker for me.

Smalling continually getting overlooked is beyond ridiculous. Sure Southgate has his plans and he wants defenders who can play out but hey Keane isn’t amazing at that and who’s better? Smalling by a million miles. It’s a truly baffling one.

Also our lack of midfield depth is worrying, Barkley and Delph have no business being anywhere near the squad but the lack of anything elsewhere means there are very few options. Glad to see Rice in there, I think he’s gonna eventually end up at one of the big clubs so this is a good chance for him. However, Ward-Prowse deserved a call up and to be honest Foden is playing just as much as Delph and has way more talent.

jsp

I think they've said that Wan Bissaka is staying with the U21's for now as they have a tournament this summer and they want him to play in that. I assume Foden is being treated in a similar way not rushing him through but these two really look ready to go so they might be able to force their way in by the end of the season.

On Smalling Southgate has really nailed his colours to the mast on that one saying he doesn't think Smalling fits his system so he's not going to pick him. I personally think it's a tad harsh but I think Smalling has had more than enough chances and he's not quite grabbed them others deserve a chance BUT it's not like the lads being picked ahead of him have had good seasons in Keane & Tarkowski.

Looking at that squad he'll be going back to the 3-5-2 with Walker in the back 3 but I think both the Spurs full backs are lucky to be in on current form.

I quite like Delph I think he'd be starting at most teams in the league he just happens to play for City where they have a wealth of options and when he's played for England he hasn't really let us down.

Think the thing with Ward-Prowse is up until a month ago no one had mentioned him all season it's only because he's stuck in a few worldie free kicks which is handy but we have other free kick taker in the squad are his performances in game good enough to catch the eye?

jsp

U21/Players on loan from Chelsea squad

Goalkeepers: Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United), Angus Gunn (Southampton), Dean Henderson (Sheffield United, on loan from Manchester United)
Defenders: Jake Clarke-Salter (Vitesse, on loan from Chelsea), Jay Dasilva (Bristol City, on loan from Chelsea), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Lloyd Kelly (Bristol City), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford), Fikayo Tomori (Derby County, on loan from Chelsea), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace)
Midfielders: Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), Hamza Choudhury (Leicester City), Tom Davies (Everton), Kieran Dowell (Sheffield United, on loan from Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), James Maddison (Leicester City), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa, on loan from Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Reiss Nelson (Hoffenheim, on loan from Arsenal), Dominic Solanke (AFC Bournemouth)