EFL Trophy 19/20

SuperRash

So we are in the 19/20 EFL Cup this year. A lot of fans don’t really academy teams in this competition but I’m all for it and allows the young guys to get some exposure against guys other than their own age group. So it’s nice we’ve got a team in it this year.

We are in a group with Rotherham, Lincoln and Doncaster and play Rotherham tonight at 7pm. Live on MUTV - team below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No Greenwood suggests he’ll play a part at the weekend. But as it’s only Tuesday sure Gomes and Chong will still be in the manager’s thoughts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good performance from us. Did well first half but could tell the majority were not used to the physicality of senior football but ability shone through second half. Gomes and Laird excellent. Garner very good in midfield too. Kovar too, I think young keepers can be a little ropey especially against seniors but he was very confident, made some good saves, good in the air, composed with ball at his feet and good distribution.

Any scouts watching on will be handing back positive feedback on the players. Some difficult decisions may have to be made over the next 2 days about who to let go on loan. 5 or 6 are ready for first team football and i'm not sure 2 more games in this comp and a few Europa games will be enough, out of them all I think Gomes is the one who will get more chances but if we do sign someone in that midfield area those chances may not crop up as much. Chong, Garner, O'Connor, Laird and maybe even Williams and Levitt could be doing with more than just U23s football.

I think gomes needs decent game time with us. Number 10 would suit him.
He was a class above last night. He’s nearly 19 so it’s not like he’s some 16 year old kid. I think he should be getting some serious game time for us and as we don’t look like getting a new number 10, he could be the man.

Absolutely. I think his contract is out either at the end of this or next season so we need to give him game time to assure him he has a future here, otherwise he'll end up in Germany on a free like Sancho. He's only going to improve with games, he's a better option than Mata if we are to play a pressing game and in time will be a better option than Lingard.

Think it’s his last year of his contract so it’s use him or lose him time.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back