Edinson Cavani

SuperRash

Not a transfer rumour per se but there have been a few murmurings about us maybe going in for Cavani as he’s out of contact in the summer at PSG. Worth a punt on a 2-year contract? Personally would take him in a heartbeat especially with our numbers being short up top.

Handed in a transfer request, I wouldn't take him. Too old. Atletico want him, and I think he wants to go, hence the TR

It's a no from me, but we are paying most of Sanchez wages, we could get him back.

I'd take him I think Utd need a senior striker we never replaced Lukaku.

We need someone with some penalty box presence which Cavani has, come in and put pressure on Martial but also give us a striker option off the bench something a little different.

We obviously wanted a striker why else go for Haaland so get someone like Cavani in try and push for top 4 and Europa then buy a striker in the summer.

Cavani always came across as a top pro but it does seem like he's got his heart set on a move to Atletico Madrid so there's little chance this will happen.

Seems like he has been linked to Atletico a lot but been reading maybe that move has hit the buffers a little. I don’t think he’s too old at all, we need someone with that experience up top and will score a goal with a half chance. I think Cavani on a two year deal would be absolutely ideal for us and where we are. Greenwood can continue to develop and after all we do need that competition.

He's about to turn 33.

It will be big wages on old player for probably 2 years.

Atletico want him, PSG turned down their offer. Hence his TR.

Don’t buy into the too old thing, if he’s still good enough which he is then age doesn’t come into it. Bit wages yes but who wouldn’t be coming here and be on small wages these days?

On the age thing, Larsson came here for six months at 35 and most fans would have kept him. Ibra came here and made an instant impact. If we had had someone of the calibre of Ibra or Cavani upfront this season then I think we would be doing much better. Obviously we have won a few big games but it’s those smaller ones where we lack a real presence in the box to eek out those goals to turn 1-0 losses into draws or 1-1’s into 2-1 wins.

Larsson scored 1 goal

When Zlatan came he was still playing first team regular.

I can see why people want him. I personally think it will be a failure.

Not really a debate on Larsson but he scored 3 in his brief spell but he was outstanding. I think Cavani would have a similar impact but just my opinion. He’s maybe lost a yard of pace but he has never been all about pace, I think he’s a terrific striker and would take him in a heartbeat.

I liked Larsson, he put a lot of effort in and was a fan favourite.

I don't like Cavani, never have and I don't think he'll come anyway.

we'll see. Not the answer for me though.

That’s fair, I don’t think he’s everyone’s cup of tea. I think he actually divides a lot of opinion. To be honest I never watched him a lot and was in the oh he’s not that good club without basing that on anything - but then I started to watch him a fair bit and he turned me around.

Like you say I doubt it would happen but you never know.

What do reckon on Ings? chances of getting him and whether it's worthwhile?

Some players you just don't like. I never liked Kluivert, thought he was over rated even though his stats say no. I was at the Camp Nou one year, watching the derby. He'd done nothing all game, awful, then bang two goals.

Cavani I think at 33 can do a job for this season and next season but it depends what he wants if he wants to go and play every game like Ibra still did at 33 then we probably don't want him if he's happy to play more of a squad role then I think he'd be great and I think he's got the win at all costs attitude that Ole is trying to bring back into the team. In his prime Cavani was an absolute brut of a striker he'd go full throttle for 90 minutes causing chaos must have been a nightmare to play against a real team player obviously at 33 he can't do that anymore which would be the worry.

I like Ings having a great season but injuries are a big problem if it wasn't for the injuries he'd probably still be at Liverpool he's had rotten luck but to get him now you're talking silly money because Southampton won't want to lose him.

If the club were going for haaland then surely we have to be in the market for a striker so having missed out on Haaland surely there's a second choice we can't just do nothing.

Werner is the obvious shout but with Haaland going to Dortmund and taking their obvious replacement the money will be much higher than previously.

The thing with Ings is that is this just a purple patch as is an injury just around the corner? I don’t think we would want to take a punt on him.

Werner would be the ideal signing and probably the type of signing Ole is looking for so I would be well up for that. Beyond that I can’t really think of many outside of England that are gettable and the calibre of striker we need. Dembele? Jovic or Piatek could be available.

Werner certainly seemed to be on the radar but will he want to leave Leipzig who are competing in Germany to come to a team like Utd?

Never really seen him play but one thing I heard about him was he plays a lot of games out wide and their are questions in Germany over his ability to play as the central striker... and when he plays wide he plays from the left so he might not be the right fit for us.

My guess is if Werner was a serious option they'd have gone for him in the summer.

I guess it kind of comes down to how much do you trust Martial as your number 1 guy I think he's doing ok this season but I'm not 100% convinced he's going to become a world class number 9.

Tough one this. We desperately need players and he's a really talented one... But I feel like he'd be another Falcao...

Could be another Zlatan BUT he's had a few injury issues so you need to be careful.

By all accounts he's only looking to go to Atletico so sounds like anything else is just speculation really.

He's the sort of striker if you buy him you need to play him so he's only really an option if you are giving up on Martial as your starting striker and you don't think there's someone else who's younger who you can get.

PSG apparently want 20m euro to do the deal in January as they still want to keep him for rotation in the remaining part of the season so they're happy to let him go for nothing in the summer.

I'm with Rich, too many of these old striker deals don't work out.

Falcao, Higuin are two that pop into my head. But I guess if I did research there would be more.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Translation: According to our information, Manchester United is trying to overtake Atlético for Cavani. But the Spanish club remains the most advanced

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He should absolutely go to Atletico. Good team, good club and I think Spain is a better fit for him. I honestly think he'd really struggle here in this current United team.

Wow. Firstly we can't. Secondly don't let that stop you.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back