Edinson Cavani | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Edinson Cavani performances.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea - 24th October 2020

Nearly the dream first touch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He looks sharp. Seems to drift towards the right a bit. Not sure if that's a one off but never noticed it when watching him for PSG.

Love that movement across the defender we’ve not had a striker that does that in a while.

Looked very lively. Martial has to be on his toes when he’s back in the league because if he continues to underperform then Cavani will be in without doubt.

Premier League: Everton 1-3 Manchester United - 7th November 2020

Such a crisp finish. He has looked short of fitness so far which is understandable but I wouldn’t have any hesitation in starting him against WBA in the next game.

Such a crisp finish. He has looked short of fitness so far which is understandable but I wouldn’t have any hesitation in starting him against WBA in the next game.
Apparently Ole should get sacked in the tunnel if he dare change anything about the team that beat Everton

Man Utd 1 West Brom 0

Think he did more in 20 minutes up top than Martial did all game.

Will he get a start in the next game?

Should be starting from now on. I am a big fan of Martial and last season he finally started to show his mettle. However, this season he has been well below standard and just hasn’t got going. Maybe a demotion to the bench will give him a gee up.

Martial was rubbish, however Cavani looks way off the pace and isn’t ready to be starting games in the Premier League.

Martial was rubbish, however Cavani looks way off the pace and isn’t ready to be starting games in the Premier League.
Did today's match confirm your assessment? I think Cavani linked well but as a striker he didn't have any shots, did he? He didn't look that sharp to me today, but part of that could be due to his playing too deep.

Thought his link play was very good as was his movement he didn't really get a sniff at goal but there were a few break aways where he should have been slipped in but wasn't when the player went alone.

Worked hard for the team maybe dropped a little bit to deep at times to help defensively but I'd say it was a positive performance didn't look to be blowing hard either looked like he last the 90 minutes well.

If he's feeling fit and up to it I'd start him against Southampton as well.

In general I'd say Lukaku's link play was good too, and he even put in a few great crosses that were converted. Lukaku's issue was not putting the ball in the net. So I see Cavani as falling into that same trap. The link play is good but we need a ruthless finisher at the #9 not a false 9-cum-additional midfielder.

In general I'd say Lukaku's link play was good too, and he even put in a few great crosses that were converted. Lukaku's issue was not putting the ball in the net. So I see Cavani as falling into that same trap. The link play is good but we need a ruthless finisher at the #9 not a false 9-cum-additional midfielder.
Agree in regards to what we need as a No9 but Likaku’s problem was he couldn’t trap a bag of sand, his first touch was atrocious and he just wasn’t a United player.
All that said he always had my respect as a man. He always grafted and tried his best.

Both the creator and executor. Fabulous performance. A proper striker.

He’s the best we’ve had in a while just a shame we didn’t get him sooner.

His movement is brilliant and he’s alive in the box something our other boys just don’t have that instinct for unfortunately.

Works his nuts off as well for the team just a quality footballer you can see why he scored goals for fun in Italy and France bet PSG regret letting him go.

He’s more of the sledge hammer Van Nistelrooy style than precision tool of Van Persie

His movement is brilliant and he’s alive in the box something our other boys just don’t have that instinct for unfortunately.
It's so refreshimg to see his movement, and scored both goals because of it. I hope our other strikers really study his movement to help develop their own game.

It's so refreshimg to see his movement, and scored both goals because of it. I hope our other strikers really study his movement to help develop their own game.

It’s one of those things you either have or don’t I think it’s a natural reaction. Our lads tend to wait and see what happens and react he’s guessing what will happen and gambling.

He looks to me like one of those who’d be grumpy on the bus home after a 4-0 win where he hasn’t scored.

Some life left in the old dog! Cavani was excellent today. Looks like he's still getting his match sharpness. His two goals were well taken and he was unlucky to not complete his hat trick.

Some life left in the old dog! Cavani was excellent today. Looks like he's still getting his match sharpness. His two goals were well taken and he was unlucky to not complete his hat trick.
Yeah definitely life in the old dog. Those goals were proper striker goals to, think if Rashford or Martial were in that position they may not have had the instinct to score.

What he has shown, is we need to move on from Martial. We need a proper striker. Not many around though.

What he has shown, is we need to move on from Martial. We need a proper striker. Not many around though.
Both our French players are getting a good kick up the Charles De Gaulle's.
Their shirts are hanging on shoogly hooks.

In the PL era we had Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo. Finally we have another who is truly worthy of the No 7 shirt.

In the PL era we had Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo. Finally we have another who is truly worthy of the No 7 shirt.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, lets not get carried away. Early days, but definitely a great start.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, lets not get carried away. Early days, but definitely a great start.
Yea early days but in terms of his career, his profile and reputation, in addition to the expectancy. When he signed some were talking like he was an Ighalo (cover only) type signing, while my expectancy was always higher.
Here is a couple of my comments from the following thread six weeks ago (which I have had to cut and past as the thread has been locked for reasons unknown to me and it wont allow quotes to be taken)

Premier League 2020/21 Man Utd vs Chelsea Sat 24th Oct 17.30 KO​

"I am hopeful Cavani starts today, with Rashford suspended it is the perfect opportunity. This guy will be demanding plenty of game time and it's my opinion he will get it during the course of the season. I think he is a great signing and I have big expectancy of him as I do of the team this season. He is the perfect signing who will likely force the best out of Martial and help Greenwood to further develop.
He hasn't arrived with the No 7 on his back to be a bench warming substitute".

This is true but my expectancy of Cavani's impact on us is much greater than a player who was signed on a pay per play basis due to his injury problems.
I'm looking for an impact somewhat closer to RVP's
We are getting close to being able to challenge for the title, we need to get banging more goals in and Cavani will bring something else. Imagine Cavani, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all competing for most goals at the end of the season alongside what others like Bruno, Pogba and DVB will chip in.
Ole know's what he is at, make no mistake about that

This is still how I see things now. Defo worthy of the No7 shirt

It does raise the question as to just what position Martial plays, or which position he's best in. He's clearly not a #9, but is he a wing? Does he need to play as part of a two striker front?

It does raise the question as to just what position Martial plays, or which position he's best in. He's clearly not a #9, but is he a wing? Does he need to play as part of a two striker front?
He does a lot of things right in both positions, weve seen he can finish, and also when he plays out wide his pace and direct approach can scare the life out of defenders.

But his consistency levels just arent good enough, he hasnt scored in the prem this year, and my resounding feeling is that Mason will take over from him at number 9 over the next few seasons with the help of Cavani.

We need players at it all the time, not some of the time
Exactly, and while I do think Martial is a good player, I think he has far too many off days to be Man United main man up top.

Hopefully tonight will be one of his better performances.

Pretty sure Wenger said recently about a few players at Arsenal that "they only want to play when they're 2-0 up" to me that sums up Martial a bit to me. When it's easy and flowing he can look a genius but when it's just about digging in and getting a goal by any means necessary he's not really interested. You can't just play when it's easy you need to influence games when it's hard which Cavani has done throughout his career.

Martial has had a poor start to the season he's in bad form and when he's in bad form the usual comments about his attitude and lack of a smile come up. He needs to get himself out of this funk because it doesn't really matter if he's a winger or a centre forward he won't be in the team.

Consistency is what makes the great players great players and that's what you need to deliver at Utd. The club have shown patience in this kid but he's not a kid anymore and I think having a guy like Cavani around will expose him a bit.

Headers scored by Man Utd players in the premier league since the start of 18/19 season.

Cavani / Maguire / Lukaku / Martial - 2
Fernandes / Pogba / Lindelof / Rashford / Sanchez - 1

Can't say I am particularly surprised with this stat. We don't have great supply from the flanks and with the exception of cavani non of our other strikers attack the right areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back