Ed Woodward's house attacked by United fans

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Disgusting. He might not be one we like and he might not be doing a great job but leave it at the stadium. I hope the police catch those involved.

Disgusting. He might not be one we like and he might not be doing a great job but leave it at the stadium. I hope the police catch those involved.
Absolutely yeah! I don't think any United fan likes Ed and we would all happily see him go, and he should be fired for the job he's done. But this is actually quite sickening to read.

Disgusting behaviour. Ban the idiots for life.

It was outside his house not the stadium.A stadium ban isn’t the answer. It should be a criminal matter. They were throwing flares at the house and chanting about him being killed from other reports.

Thankfully him and his family wernt at home as I imagine that to be pretty terrifying. If I was him I’d probably pull the plug on the Fernandes deal. But that’s why I’m not a CEO at a massive company as I’m petty like that.

That's not right, the bloke might not understand certain things and needs to let go of buying players and the deals but attacking his home is wrong. We called United for a reason let's be better than that

Absolutely disgraceful. They are not fans, just yobs. Imagine if the family had been at home, his young kids and wife would have been scared out of their wits. Hope the idiots are found and the book thrown at them.

All the above comments are spot on absolutely not the right direction people should vent their frustration. Do a protest somehow in the stadium when the cameras are rolling not on someone's personal property it's just wrong!!

I'm embarrased to be a fan to be honest.

A toxic mix of fake news, social media and bad ownership.

And how does this make the players feel, or potential signings.

A real sad low day for the club in every respect.

They should be prosecuted, named and shamed and banned from the club.

As shocking as it is I'm surprised it's taken this long for it to actually happen.

Attacked is also strong language to use a fan threw a flare over the wall while others stood outside singing a chant it wasn't like fans stormed the gates and caused any damage.

Not nice for his family as he wasn't even home when it happened.

I wouldn’t say attacked is a strong word. How would you word a balaclava clad group outside your home chanting you’re going to die and throwing flares at your house.

Well I'd probably start thinking I need to sort out some security and wonder if this job is worth all the hassle but if I was in his job I'd probably have put these provisions in already to make sure my family were safe as this isn't the first person to get a visit from some pissed off Utd fans.

I just think it's an over the top headline his home wasn't attacked some fans turned up let off fireworks and flares and sang a few songs outside the gates of the property it was more like a protest and everyone knows those sort of songs are not serious a football chant taken literally sounds nuts.

Funny how the sun happened to have a camera man their to catch them long before it was reported to the police and turns out fortunately no one was home

It's definitley an attack, he has young children. I imagine his wife will no loger feel safe in her home. It is totally unacceptable.

They graffitied his walls, threw flares at his house and sang songs about how they were going to kill him

shocking.

They staged a protest outside the gates of his house yeah a few of the songs do contain threats but they are not threats you take literally they are football chants.

Woodward has escalated tension with fans with his actions over the years he must have known this was inevitable might explain why his family were not home and I'm sure as a result of this the club will beef up security around his house. Fan anger has been on the rise at the ground but he's stayed away and gone into hiding doesn't take a lot for word to get to people about where he lives so it was only a matter of time before fans turned up to his house.

It is not behaviour that should be tolerated but it is normal in football people care passionately about these clubs and quite often things spill over in to violence and other things like this but people who work in football know it comes with the territory.

I don't think it should be considered normal or expected. It's his home. Keep the protests legal and at the ground. He has young children.

We don't know why he wasn't there, if they knew it was happening police would have been there. He could be with the squad or in London doing the Fernandes deal.

I don't think there is any defence for this. Vandalising someones house, throwing flares, and chanting you're going to kill someone is not acceptable. Imagine if his children were there, how scared they would be. All they know is their dad goes to work.

For me, this is all directed at teh wrong people. If the Glazers got bought out, I'd keep him on at the club on the commercial side.

I’m shocked to see you think it’s normal tbh JSP. It’s disgusting and should only be widely condemned by all fans. It’s not a normal part of football and it’s not in anyway acceptable. Sing the chants in the ground but once Woodward leaves for home that’s it all done.

I don’t see other fans outside their CEO’s house chanting and throwing flares. It wouldn’t be acceptable in any walk of life regardless of your job.

What next? We go after Martial for the miss against Liverpool. We go after De Gea for a poor goal let in? Where do you draw the line once your try to normalise this?

Yeah in an ideal world this wouldn't happen but we live in the real world he's a public figure and that means there's a chance that things like this will happen to you. Fans have tried protesting in the ground but there seems to be no response it was only a matter of time in my opinion before fans turned up at this guys house because he refuses to interact with fans. I believe he's given 1 interview to a fans group in 6 years of running the club people only ever hear him on these investor calls.

His family weren't there the house was empty according to the report I read.

As for it being normal behaviour it's happened to directors of the club previously at the time of the takeover and it happened to Rooney and Gerrard over contract talks at their respective clubs so it isn't the first and it isn't the last but it tends to happen only in extreme circumstances. Similar things have also happened outside the houses of other owners probably not at the PL level but certainly lower down the leagues where complete sh*tbags have basically bankrupted football clubs for their own financial gain. People who abuse football clubs normally end up having to deal with football fans at some point.

At no point have I condoned what these people did and nor would I encourage it but my point was he probably should be expecting it because it doesn't take a genius to work out that anger toward him is growing amongst fans and this sort of behaviour by our fans isn't uncommon. My point initially was the headline makes it sound a lot worse than it was they staged a protest outside his property which resulted in a small bit of damage ie some graffiti.

This has nothing to do with football this is a guy who has been part of a group of people who have abused the football club for over 15 years by taking over £1bn out of it. He lives in Manchester the owners don't I'm sure if they owned property in Manchester then this would have happened to them a lot over the last 15 years but they keep well clear of the club because they know how unpopular they are.

Seems strange that in a week where things have started to die down a bit on Ed they’ve put this story back in the news again by lodging a complaint.

Woodward’s image since we took on that PR consultant really has taken a pasting

Seems strange that in a week where things have started to die down a bit on Ed they’ve put this story back in the news again by lodging a complaint.

Woodward’s image since we took on that PR consultant really has taken a pasting

It's not a PR thing at all. If they have found out someone knew about this in advance, they definitely should complain, it's the right thing to do regardles of PR.

Bobbygeorge1, Woodwards comments are reassuring, as someone who supports giving Ole a fair crack in the hope things are changing behind the scenes at the club, this reinforces that. Whether it's true or not!

It's not a PR thing at all. If they have found out someone knew about this in advance, they definitely should complain, it's the right thing to do regardles of PR.

Bobbygeorge1, Woodwards comments are reassuring, as someone who supports giving Ole a fair crack in the hope things are changing behind the scenes at the club, this reinforces that. Whether it's true or not!
Let's hope they are changing things behind the scene, haven't heard anything about a director of football and until they sort that out I don't know how things will improve also maybe appointment some better coaches would love to see Ferdinand and Evra there sorting the defensive out!

I'd like to see Jardim brought in, but doubt he'll accept being a coach.

I think JSP was saying the opposite. That the PR guy they've employed hasn't done a good job in helping Woodward.

As for Woodwards latest comments lets hope he lives by them because he sounded like he was saying we're spending big this summer and Ole is getting all the time he needs.

oh right, I thought he was saying the opposite, that the PR guy should have let the story die.

I think if you're employing a PR expert he probably would be advising you let it die down and go quiet rather than take on the countries biggest newspaper by lodging a complaint that probably doesn't go anywhere putting it back in the news cycle.

As for his comments actions speak louder than words it's nothing new it's basically the same stuff he said in the summer to united we stand saying Utd have made mistakes but it's a fresh start new recruitment department will help them make better decisions etc etc. It's saying all the right things but the proof will be in the pudding this summer can Utd pull off the sort of deals that push up right back up the table and solve the problems that exist in the squad or will it be another summer where we don't get the job done.

I think if you're employing a PR expert he probably would be advising you let it die down and go quiet rather than take on the countries biggest newspaper by lodging a complaint that probably doesn't go anywhere putting it back in the news cycle.

As for his comments actions speak louder than words it's nothing new it's basically the same stuff he said in the summer to united we stand saying Utd have made mistakes but it's a fresh start new recruitment department will help them make better decisions etc etc. It's saying all the right things but the proof will be in the pudding this summer can Utd pull off the sort of deals that push up right back up the table and solve the problems that exist in the squad or will it be another summer where we don't get the job done.
Exactly we need a director of football we have for some time now can't understand why we can't appoint one,what happened to Ferdinand he went for talks didn't he?

Exactly we need a director of football we have for some time now can't understand why we can't appoint one,what happened to Ferdinand he went for talks didn't he?

We can't appoint one because we don't actually want one that whole search for a director of football for me was just for show to get the fans off the clubs back after a disaster of a transfer window it was a PR stunt. They clearly weren't serious about appointing one because they never really got to close to appointing anyone.

They said when Jose was sacked and Ole came as interim that they wouldn't appoint a new manager until this director role was filled then within 3 months they'd appointed Ole full time and scrapped the search for a director of football. I think that is because Ole didn't want one probably didn't want someone around who'd be looking to boot him out from day one and Woodward/Board didn't want one as they didn't want to hand over power to anyone outside of their little circle.

I don't think the club ever said anything like that after Jose left, I think the press did all the thinking. I had a quick look back and there is nothing from the club.

As for the DoF at the moment, latest is Antero Henrique is in discussion.

We can't appoint one because we don't actually want one that whole search for a director of football for me was just for show to get the fans off the clubs back after a disaster of a transfer window it was a PR stunt. They clearly weren't serious about appointing one because they never really got to close to appointing anyone.

They said when Jose was sacked and Ole came as interim that they wouldn't appoint a new manager until this director role was filled then within 3 months they'd appointed Ole full time and scrapped the search for a director of football. I think that is because Ole didn't want one probably didn't want someone around who'd be looking to boot him out from day one and Woodward/Board didn't want one as they didn't want to hand over power to anyone outside of their little circle.
Just seems a little strange you'd of thought ole would want all the help he could get& Woodward would want one so if transfer didn't work out or materialise he could have said well that's not my fault

Just seems a little strange you'd of thought ole would want all the help he could get& Woodward would want one so if transfer didn't work out or materialise he could have said well that's not my fault

If I'm Ole the last thing I want is some new face coming in and messing with my plan because if you have a DoF suddenly all those excuses for results on the pitch go away because your job is to deliver on the pitch not off it. If Utd are going to put a director in to look after the football side of the club then my guess is within 12 months the manager will be gone because that person will want his own man in charge.

As for Woodward say we appoint a director and things don't improve then everyone still looks to Woodward and says you picked a crap director it's all your fault. Woodward has assumed the position of the most powerful man at Old Trafford so the buck stops with him if the club isn't winning fingers eventually make their way to him because somewhere along the line he made decisions that put us in this position. Rather than insulate himself by putting people in place below him to make the right decisions that he can just "sign off" on he's actually tried to be involved in that process which makes him accountable.

For me it comes down to this a small group of people control all spending at the club a change in structure will cost money and they don't want to spend any money on anything that is non essential which means there will be no change until they go.

Don't most top teams have a DOF nowadays? with or without one one's job is still results on the pitch my point is wouldn't one make is job a little easier by saying listen you tell us what you're looking for & I'll get to work on it, yes Woodward would still have to sign it off I just feel it would be an all round beneficial help for all concerned

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back