Douglas Costa and a CB ?

Ben Townsend

Apparently we will be looking to try and get Douglas Costa and a CB in Jan, is it likely this will happen ?

Surely Costa will cost £40 mill minimum and a CB wont be cheap, are united going to give Ole a chunk of money when he's an interim.

Thoughts ? ......

I can see a little money being available but can’t see too much action. It’s a tough one because there needs to be reinforcements clearly but sure they don’t want to give a lot of money to a guy who may only be here for a few months.

I can see the Douglas Costa one happening, he’s a little bit out of favour right now at Juventus but he’s a terrific player. He has so much ability so for £40m I reckon he would be a steal.

Yeh Costa is right down the pecking order since Ron turned up. He would balance us nicely on the right but he is a bit of a Nani, brilliant on occasions but inconsistent and drifts in and out of games. It wouldn't hurt taking a punt on him for rf.

Its painfully obvious we need one, if not two cb's and I am 99.99% sure the next manager will be of the mold Utd fans want to see playing attacking football so whoever the next manager will be would want a ball playing cb so we may as well go get Koulibally or whoever is available in Jan if we can. It may help us try and get back into the top 4 and maybe a CL run.

I mentioned this yesterday, Alderwerield and Costa we are after in Jan regardless of who's in charge.

I mean... The Alderwerield one would make sense because he's experienced and he's a really good defender so most managers would like him in their side. Plus if logic prevails Poch is the target in the summer anyway. But Costa? I like him a lot but how can we bring in players without a long term manager?

Think both make sense as they provide solutions to problem positions and add some winning experience to the squad but for guys to come in guys need to go out.

Wonder if Costa would be one of those loan before you buy type deals.

Can see the club stomaching the high wages if the transfer fees are reasonable.

I was initially going to say that I would prefer Sancho, but having thought about it, Costa would be a good option considering there are question marks over the futures for differing reasons for four of the attacking players. Get both Costa and Sancho!

Sancho would be a great signing but think Dortmund will want him to stay for another season at least unless clubs offer silly money like Barca did with Dembele.

Reports of Douglas Costa back on the horizon in the Mail today, which they reported last week as well.

What level is Depay at these days? I'm think he's done ok in the French league but not sure what they really equates to, and aren't Dortmund lining him to be Sancho's replacement? I'm sure we have a buy back clause as well?

Not sure we’ll ever take another punt on Depay. He is obviously doing well with Lyon but there will always be the question marks of him coming from a smaller league back into the EPL. If he can get a move to Dortmund then that’ll be a good career move. Then who knows, he could tear it up in the German league and someone could take another shot at bringing him over here.

I think United sign 1 player this summer at most and even then I'm not sure they will sign someone who improves the first team. It's a huge summer for them and they have Woodward in charge.

I mean not sure why you keep pointing the finger at Woodward Utd pay big prices because they target players who are going to be a big price they aren't necessarily looking for value in the market. The manager is the one picking the players no one gets signed without the manager approving it and Woodward has to try his best to drive down a price but unless you have leverage you can only do so much.

Reality needs to hit home the clubs business plan for the next 4 or 5 years has totally been ripped apart due to covid huge dips in revenue already last season and they'll be predicting the same for next season and possibly follow on seasons. Our owners aren't going to bail us out of those problems so expectations need to be checked.

I'm not a huge fan of Costa think his best years are behind him but we do need numbers up top and he's still better than what we have on the bench so I'd maybe take him on loan but I'm guessing the club will still be looking for a more permanent option.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back