Donny van de Beek

SuperRash

Ogden also mentions Ziyech, if were to get him and van de Beek then I would be one happy chap. Van de Beek isn’t the flashiest and was overshadowed a little by Tadic, De Jong etc in that CL run but I think he’s a top drawer player.

jsp

He was linked to Madrid last summer.

He’s looked tidy every time I’ve seen him but that’s probably 2 or 3 games.

Another one I can’t see moving in January Ajax will be reluctant to sell in January unless you pay a huge premium but he will probably be on the move in the summer but Utd won’t be the only club trying to get him and we saw with Haaland Utd these days isn’t an automatic first choice for players.

RichH2016

Not sure a tidy player is what this midfield needs? We have players who work hard and are tidy... We need creativity.

jsp

Who would he be getting in the team ahead of? Do you think he's worth it?
He'd be a Pogba replacement if we did sign him my guess is he'd probably go in the team with Bruno plus one other from Fred/Mctominay/Matic to make a midfield 3.

I've only seen him a few times mainly when Ajax had that run to the semi finals he looks a very talented young player in the dutch style looks after the ball well and has an eye for a goal from midfield.

SuperRash

In the time when De Jong was at Ajax he was an attacking midfielder predominantly but when DJ left for Barca he moved into his deep lying role. So he is definitely versatile but I would say he’s very much in the Scholes mould. So like jsp said I think he would have to be a Pogba replacement rather than someone to play alongside him. Although if we did go down the route of a diamond it could work with VDB, Pogba and Fernandes.

Cosmic Slop

In the time when De Jong was at Ajax he was an attacking midfielder predominantly but when DJ left for Barca he moved into his deep lying role. So he is definitely versatile but I would say he’s very much in the Scholes mould. So like jsp said I think he would have to be a Pogba replacement rather than someone to play alongside him. Although if we did go down the route of a diamond it could work with VDB, Pogba and Fernandes.
Sold!

jsp

Saw something suggesting his Madrid move has collapsed they've told his agent they won't be buying this summer due to covid that's probably explains why the Utd link is back on.

Lovely player but assuming all our current midfielders stay we can't really bring another one in when other parts of the team need investment.

IDFD

This must be a defining moment in recent history. Someone has suggested we don’t need a central midfielder.

This hasn’t been the case since Scholes retired and Carricks legs gave in.

jsp

It's a funny one because we just don't really know how our midfield fits together anymore we've got 2 top class players in Bruno/Pogba but the other 3 are all probably on par with each other.

Don't really know how Ole plans to fit them all together either you have to assume his plan is for Pogba/Bruno to be in the same team together.

IDFD

If we can get Pogba and Bruno working together you’ve got the basis of a quality team there. It’s just can they play together or do they get in each others way. If it works it’s going to be delightful to watch. I think Pogba will really benefit from having someone as quick thinking as himself in a deeper role with him. Currently he only really has Rashford that’s on his wave length.

jsp

I think if you were lining it up you'd want a really strong defensive player like Kante, Fabinho, Fernandinho sitting in the middle of the 3 of them just making sure the defence isn't vulnerable to the counter but also good enough to take the ball off the defence and start the attacks.

I'm not sure Matic, McTominay or Fred are that player all 3 of them look happier playing in a midfield with 2 sitting players you have to be really really good to play that lone holding player role and the whole team needs to be setup to dominate possession for that 4-3-3 to work.

RichH2016

If we can get Pogba and Bruno working together you’ve got the basis of a quality team there. It’s just can they play together or do they get in each others way. If it works it’s going to be delightful to watch. I think Pogba will really benefit from having someone as quick thinking as himself in a deeper role with him. Currently he only really has Rashford that’s on his wave length.
You can't trust Pogba though. Id rather we sell him as soon as possible. One minute he wants to stay, the next he wants out, the next he wants to stay, then wants out. Get his replacement in that isn't such a pain in the neck and move on.

Mr C

yes, the drama needs to stop, it's too distracting. Stay and shut up or go.

jsp

To be fair to Pogba the message from him has been pretty clear for 12 months he wanted to leave the club last summer and he hasn't said anything to change that.

The only thing that's changed is clubs can't afford him now because they're all strapped for cash so he probably has to stay.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now