Donny van de Beek | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Donny van de Beek’s performances.

Premier League 2020/21: Manchester United 1-3 Crystal Palace - 19th September 2020

Didn't have much chance to show his talents, particularly in such a bad team performance, but he scored and showed some nice touches. There are big decisions for this club. It needs some quality signings and we may have to look at selling some of the better players if we can't move on the deadwood

I just can't understand the decision to not play him with Pogba and Fernandes. At home against Palace? Come on that's a pretty negative decision isn't it?

I just can't understand the decision to not play him with Pogba and Fernandes. At home against Palace? Come on that's a pretty negative decision isn't it?

Not really think Ole knew Pogba had an hour in him fitness wise so he needed a good sub for that change.

A good holding midfield player is vital vs a counter attack side like palace they play 4-4-2 so if you push you full backs up then you’re leaving your centre backs 2 vs 2 you need a defensive minded player in that midfield to try and stop the ball reaching their strikers or if it does quickly get back to make it 3 vs 2.

I don’t think you will ever see those 3 start a game they might finish games as we chase.

If you’d left that defence even more exposed yesterday then it would have been even more of a nightmare. Ole knew there was so much pace in that Palace front line so needed that guy like McTominay in there. You can easily say in hindsight they should have all played together but in this game no way.

As expected, their 6th game, our second. They need more minutes. Sluggish

We need a CB more than LB. I assume Greenwood didn't start as a message for his off season behaviour

Wrong thread

On this showing I'd play VDB way ahead of Pogba in the pecking order, changing the team to fit him in. Pogba was useless.

EFL Cup: Luton 0-3 Manchester United - 23rd September 2020

Did well enough but was surprised he was named United’s man of the match.

Can only assume that was the result of some sort of fan poll.

Did well got some nice touches and plays so quick can see him being a fun player to watch.

Yeah when him Bruno, Martial and Rashford click we could have some cracking moments. Him and Bruno want to play at a tempo so much quicker than the rest are currently able to. Their footballing brains are just that much better. Hopefully Pogba gets up to speed soon. In games where we do end up with those 3 in the middle it could be mayhem but very fun.

not sure where to post this as the transfer thread is closed.

Anyway, his agent is complaining about his game time.

Sounds like we’ve got ourselves another Pogba situation here. He’s probably mouthed on in the press. Said Brighton should have beaten us 7-1 and he’d have refused to come on if he was Donny.

I do find it odd that he saying this after 2 Prem games but we all knew he wasn't going to be a regular starter, surely this was in the discussions when he joined? I'd actually like to see him get a run in the team instead of Pogba, let's see what he can do.

Agents just need to pipe down. It’s two games into the season and sure it’s disappointing he hasn’t started both but to go spouting this nonsense is ridiculous. He’ll be a starter more times than a sub I hasten to guess this season.

not sure it gets fans on his side either. Did they really think they'd stroll into Old Trafford and Pogba would get dropped?

Not sure how legit the quotes are but Ole should be having a word with VDB and saying speak to your agent as this nonsense won't be tolerated mouthing off in public will not help the situation. Your a man now Donny if you've got an issue deal with it yourself.

Can see why he might be a bit annoyed vs Brighton not getting more playing time but when Ole made the sub he was protecting a 2-1 lead not chasing a goal.

To be honest he probably starts tonight vs Brighton prove on the pitch you're the man to start ahead of Pogba or Bruno on Sunday vs Spurs.

VDB did ok I though but didn't really impose himself on the game, he barely had many touches but he is very good at keeping possession and he does move about the pitch well.

However, when the Bruno show hit the game we came alive.

I'm going to choose my words carefully here... Are we overhyping this guy?

I do think there is a lot of hyerbole on DVB based on very few cameo apperances.

I trust Ole to make the right judgements

He's a proper footballer. He needs others with him on his wave length which hopefully people catch up. Him Bruno and Rashford will tear people apart.

I am with IDFD on this. He has not been spectacular so far, I am not sure he ever will be. His strength is that he keeps the ball and moves it quickly. Different opponents will mean different personnel, some games will mean being more defensive, but he should get lots of game time.

He did ok but not enough to jump the queue ahead of him in terms of the starters but more chances will come I’d like to see what he can do against a team where Utd look to be more on top.

I think he does better against that sort of team. His game is about taking as few touches as possible to get his pass off and to move into small pockets of space.

Yeah I don’t watch Ajax a lot but I’m guessing in domestic competition they would dominate possession playing their famous 4-3-3 system which allows a guy like VDB to break forward a lot.

Ole seems to think he’s better with 2 disciplined holders in front of that defence which does make fitting 2 of Bruno, Pogba and VDB into the starting XI tricky.

Opportunities will come for the kid he got one last night his performance was good but probably not good enough to make the manager think I must start him vs Arsenal this weekend. That is the challenge for him when these games come make the manager pick you again.

Ajax play completely different football to Us there players move completely diffrent to ours too so it’s going to take a while to adapt to how we play and the speed and physical side to the PL also , Ole knows this but he will come good look at Fred when he first came.

He seems like an intelligent player; they generally adapt themselves to become useful. I am also sure he will come good.

I think he has done ok and looked at ease with the PL, unlike Fred who was pretty awful for a good season or so. But Fred did come from the Ukrainian league which I am sure is different completely to the Dutch and other central European leagues.

VDB did everything right in the Leipzig game. He was fast with his passing, always movie, getting involved, never hiding. I think one pass went astray. Once we start using him for his trademark late runs into the box - and have him start scoring Scholesian goals - his worth will be apparent.

VDB is a clever, energetic player always looking for the ball, like Bruno. Having that type of player in the team makes the others play faster and with more confidence because they know if they get into trouble VDB will be nearby for a pass etc. I love playing with that type of player. It stops the times of looking up with the ball and not having a pass on - think Lindelof with his hands out gesturing for someone to move so he can give them the ball. I think VDB will grow into his role and become an important player for us, not just as an understudy to Bruno.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Doesn’t get enough game time for us too good for the bench I’m sure we could squeeze him in somewhere.

Isn't that the issue trying to squeeze players in somewhere when the system doesn't allow it.

Ole doesn't trust his defence so he's always going to play 2 holding players to protect them that only leaves room for Fernandes as the number 10 which means VDB is on the bench. The only way I see him getting in is if Bruno moves to the right side of the attack where Mata has been playing.

Isn't that the issue trying to squeeze players in somewhere when the system doesn't allow it.

Ole doesn't trust his defence so he's always going to play 2 holding players to protect them that only leaves room for Fernandes as the number 10 which means VDB is on the bench. The only way I see him getting in is if Bruno moves to the right side of the attack where Mata has been playing.
VDB plays on the right take notice last night and for Ajax so it’s a straight swap for Mata, look at the goal he scored last night gets it on the right switches the flank comes in the right side of the box and goal.

VDB plays on the right take notice last night and for Ajax so it’s a straight swap for Mata, look at the goal he scored last night gets it on the right switches the flank comes in the right side of the box and goal.

I’ll take your word for it whenever I saw Ajax play he was in the midfield 3 never saw him play as a wide forward but I agree it’s Mata’s starting spot he needs to target as he’s not getting Bruno out the starting XI

Carabao Cup: Everton 0-2 Manchester United - 23rd December 2020

One of his better performances which perhaps speaks volumes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back