Does Mourinho want out of United?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don't think he wants out, just wants more backing and ambition from the club.

I think he is making excuses so if or when things start to unravel this year he can make an exit and blame others instead of himself. He does this very well. It's not that he wants out but he's just getting himself ready for it. And if he exceeds expectations then he can say "see I'm really the best".

I wonder if he under estimated the rebuilding job and obviously how strong City would become having your neighbour dominate a season like that is tough when they’re managed by your sworn enemy it’s even tougher especially when it feels like they’re always one step ahead of you. The scousers getting to the CL

He’s never looked happy at Utd but we only see one side of him which is the image he chooses to portray in the media behind the scenes he could be completely different. He’s pretty much had it all his own way heavily backed financially in his first 2 summers, he’s been allowed to pick the players he wants the frustration seems to be not being allowed to sell players he wants out. Shaw, Martial and possible even Pogba are players I think he’d happily sell tomorrow but the board won’t let him.

Put it this way if the club sacked him now I don’t think he’d shed many tears he got his new contract and therefore secures a whopping pay off but I think he knows his opportunities at getting another big club job with our level of resources are limited.

I don’t think it helps that with the press he’s kind of yesterdays man to them they’ve grown bored and tired of him so give him stick that he didn’t always get the likes of Klopp, Poch & Pep get an easier rides from them and that winds him up but you’re Man Utd manager it comes with the territory.

I's sure Shaw is staying of his own accord, he is in the final year of his contact so he will be in the driving seat for a bumper signing on fee somewhere.

I'm sure there will be lots of clubs that would take Jose, probably abroad though.

If he leaves it will be another major stain on his sheet after Madrid and Chelsea, twice!

Something certainly isn't right somewhere! Jose seems to be doing the opposite of what 80% of fans would do/would want. Makes no sense to me.

Juventus - No
Inter - yes
Milan - yes
Napoli - yes
PSG - maybe
Barca - no
Madrid - no
Bayern no
Top 6 PL clubs - no chance

I think his bridges are burned everywhere apart from Italy but could those clubs afford his ridiculous salary.

If PSG wanted Jose they’d have had him by now I don’t think they want the negative image he brings with them they’re already seen as the bad guys because of the links with Qatar.

I think he just wants to work with players on his wavelength I think he sees Shaw & Martial as mentally weak maybe not 100% committed to their football to make the most of their talent and I think at times Pogba falls into that trap. Hence his comments about the World Cup being perfect for him as for 6 weeks all he could do was think about football.

I'd agree with that. So then he needs wholesale changes to the squad to suit him. This isn't happening this transfer window so as I put in the 'Smalling to Leave Utd' thread, how will anything change this season?

Pogba was asked why he didn’t have any crazy hairstyles during the World Cup. ‘It’s the biggest competition in football and you need to take it seriously. I only wanted to focus on my football’ - So even he feels it’s a distraction. He needs to translate that attitude over to every game.

I'd agree with that. So then he needs wholesale changes to the squad to suit him. This isn't happening this transfer window so as I put in the 'Smalling to Leave Utd' thread, how will anything change this season?

Who would change things this season? And if I hear Jurgon Klopp one more time...

I think Mourinho has all the skills and experience to change things himself but his attitude holds him back. We as fans clearly see this or that not working but he persists with it when we all know it needs to be sorted. I know things go on behind the scenes we will never know about but I feel it's all or mostly down to him. Sevilla for example. The players we have got need to perform better and that is down to him too. I've said it loads of times before but something just seems wrong somewhere. Something isn't clicking.

Pogba was asked why he didn’t have any crazy hairstyles during the World Cup. ‘It’s the biggest competition in football and you need to take it seriously. I only wanted to focus on my football’ - So even he feels it’s a distraction. He needs to translate that attitude over to every game.

Be interesting to see if he carries that into the new season at Utd.

Just a standard short back and sides all season as he bangs in 20 yarders every game.

I think Deschamp played a clever game with him made him feel like the main man and the leader but somehow took the pressure off him and Pogba stepped up can Mourinho light the same fire in him for Utd.

I'm not a Jose fan as I've made clear but with the lack of activity I do feel for him. I mean just what is Woodward playing at? This was a huge summer for for the club. Jose gave him a list of targets and he's messed up massively. At this point I'm not sure with 3 days left we add anyone else... And as we saw all preseason this team is nowhere near good enough or deep enough.

I'm sorry but we know we have the financial muscle so why is he making it so hard?

Do we have the financial muscle?

Worth noting that the man he’s trying to catch started with a better squad and has spent more money than Mourinho adding to it in the 2 seasons been here and Liverpool have now started going big in the market and could be at the party next season.

Utd didn’t spend 2 years signing players ready for Jose they signed player for Van Gaal then hired a totally different coach to coach them.

Utd remain at board level focused on profits and share price success on the pitch is not the number 1 aim and it seems to me like Mourinho is having to fight them for every player he wants to bring in or let go.

Utd didn’t spend 2 years signing players ready for Jose they signed player for Van Gaal then hired a totally different coach to coach them.

And right there is why people need to buckle in for another few years of mediocrity. We signed players for LVG and then sacked him. We have signed players for Jose and by the end of this year I'm 95% sure he's going to be gone.

This club has no strategy, it has no clear defined way forwards. Moyes, LVG, Jose, they don't fit the United style. And they all have different styles to each other so every time you sack one you have to assemble a squad for the next and that takes time.

And right there is why people need to buckle in for another few years of mediocrity. We signed players for LVG and then sacked him. We have signed players for Jose and by the end of this year I'm 95% sure he's going to be gone.

This club has no strategy, it has no clear defined way forwards. Moyes, LVG, Jose, they don't fit the United style. And they all have different styles to each other so every time you sack one you have to assemble a squad for the next and that takes time.

It’d not that it takes time it’s that it’s a waste of time realistically a managers reign at a top club now is a minimum of 1 maximum of 5 years you can’t expect any manager to think long term his entire job is about survival.

It’d not that it takes time it’s that it’s a waste of time realistically a managers reign at a top club now is a minimum of 1 maximum of 5 years you can’t expect any manager to think long term his entire job is about survival.

Of course not but somehow we have to stop the rot and the current strategy isn't going to do that.

Of course not but somehow we have to stop the rot and the current strategy isn't going to do that.

Think it’ll take back to back seasons outside of top 4 which would massively hit revenue for club to act as they only care about the money.

Glazers have freed up cash for transfers in last 5 years but at what cost? Stadium renovation plans shelved again, debts increased again, didn’t stop them taking their money out year on year.

Until they find themselves hit in the pocket ie no dividend share price tanks they’re not going to be interested in making many changes especially ones that will cost a lot of money to implement and it’s not a structure that can be put in without changing manager again.

If you want a long term view then you've got to be willing to give the manager some slack and let him take a long term view. On one hand you've got the teams poor we need a new manager on the other you're saying why wont we take a long term view. He can't. The fans are on his back already not willing themselves to take a long term view. The man when he joined said it'd take him 3 years to have the squad we need. The board would be on his back if he bought in a load of youth finished 5th. Everyone would be calling for his head.

If you want a long term view then you've got to be willing to give the manager some slack and let him take a long term view. On one hand you've got the teams poor we need a new manager on the other you're saying why wont we take a long term view. He can't. The fans are on his back already not willing themselves to take a long term view. The man when he joined said it'd take him 3 years to have the squad we need. The board would be on his back if he bought in a load of youth finished 5th. Everyone would be calling for his head.

Right... And this is year 3 and as things stand we are likely further away with this squad than last year. There's certainly less reason to be optimistic than last year. Plus... I don't want this manager to get a long term chance because his football is dull and boring.

Did he say 3 years or did he say 3 transfer windows to build his squad?

If the team was starting to look like a side that could win the league I think he’d be getting cut some slack but right now it just looks like the same setup we started with in his first season and people are struggling to get up for watching another year of this team.

I think Mourinho has found it frustrating that the club struggle to get deals done under his watch they’ve spent a lot of time working on deals for Griezmann & Perisic for last summer and lost both of them for example.

I think to an extent Mourinho is calling the club out on their ambition but also the quality of their work in the market he feels deals are taking to long.

The issue is do you trust Mourinho to see it through or do you say this isn’t the direction we want to go and change it again if they do that surely the people making these decisions just look stupid as 6 months ago they extended the managers contract by 2 years.

Always felt this year was make or break Utd have got to make a serious title challenge and be in the mix come March time even if the football was ugly if we were actually in the hunt fans will get behind them.

I'd like to point out that, after sacking Mourinho and appointing Conte, Chelsea bought four players and won the league comfortably, playing some fantastic football.

So, I don't rate this as a valid argument. IMO the problem is not that United bought players for LVG and then for Mourinho. The issue here is that Mourinho either does it his way or not at all, thus deeming most of the previous signings as inadequate, when, clearly, he could have used them a lot better.

Mourinho also walked back in to Chelsea said it would take two seasons to win the title and won it. Walked in to United and said it will take three seasons. I don’t get what everyone is moaning about we had our best season in 5 years the way this forum is at the moment you’d think we got relegated after finishing champions the prior season.

That Chelsea team had won the league under Mourinho 2 seasons before hand Conte was in a much better starting place with them than Mourinho was with us.

Right... And this is year 3 and as things stand we are likely further away with this squad than last year. There's certainly less reason to be optimistic than last year. Plus... I don't want this manager to get a long term chance because his football is dull and boring.

Why are we further behind? Since the start of last season we've got Sanchez Delot and Fred in. Plus got Periera back. We've lost Blind Carrick Ibra and Mhki. The 4 in are better than the 4 out. We've improved our starting 11. The benchmark in City haven't. They've improved their already great squad. I don't see how we're further behind them.

Mourinho also walked back in to Chelsea said it would take two seasons to win the title and won it. Walked in to United and said it will take three seasons. I don’t get what everyone is moaning about we had our best season in 5 years the way this forum is at the moment you’d think we got relegated after finishing champions the prior season.

That Chelsea team had won the league under Mourinho 2 seasons before hand Conte was in a much better starting place with them than Mourinho was with us.

Ok so you think the season we had last year was acceptable? Well OK that's your opinion as a fan. I don't agree at all. Not even in terms of final league position but in terms of the quality of football. This team is no closer to winning the title now than it was when he took over.

Why are we further behind? Since the start of last season we've got Sanchez Delot and Fred in. Plus got Periera back. We've lost Blind Carrick Ibra and Mhki. The 4 in are better than the 4 out. We've improved our starting 11. The benchmark in City haven't. They've improved their already great squad. I don't see how we're further behind them.

We are no closer to them that's for sure. That gap has not closed one bit in my opinion. And we've fallen behind Liverpool. Something you won't accept or admit to but again that's my view.

Ok so you think the season we had last year was acceptable? Well OK that's your opinion as a fan. I don't agree at all. Not even in terms of final league position but in terms of the quality of football. This team is no closer to winning the title now than it was when he took over.

I can only assume that you're joking.

The Season he took over.

65 points
5th Position
49 goals scored
36 goals conceded

Last season.

81 points
2nd Position
68 Scored
28 conceded.

Our points total and goal difference last season would actually have won us the league the last season LVG was in charge.

I also think people forget just how bad the football was under LVG. We're undoubtedly playing better football under Mourinho.

Time will tell if Liverpool have overtaken us, until we see how there new signings adapt to the premier league I will reserve judgment. What they have done, like city before them, is identified what they need to improve and made sure they have brought those players in. I am not convinced we have fully identified what we need and we don't seem capable of bringing players in easily anyway. I hold Woodward and Jose equally culpable for this.

I think the negativity comes from the entire atmosphere around the club the way the season just fizzled out in the league, not turning up in the cup final, not really sorting out the weak areas in the squad, the in fighting between players and manager, the manager being glum in press conferences, our biggest rivals destroying all the league records last season the the scousers reaching a CL final and improving their squad.

The summer started with a lot of promise talk of big names and an ambitious transfer policy to try and catch City but it just hasn’t really worked out that way so far.

Pre season results mean nothing but performances give you a glimpse of what’s coming but based on what we’ve seen what’s coming doesn’t look better than what we had last season but with the caveat that they were missing a lot of players.

I don’t really see anything to be positive about I think we will struggle to improve on that points total from last season which I think flattered us to stand a chance of winning it you need to be aiming for 90 points.

I dont see how the points total flattered us? If anything we dropped 5 points at the end of the season because we wern't interested in the games and rested everyone. So could easily have had 5 more just from those games.

First season we said an improvement but the results against the top 6 wern't good enough. Last season we improved that against the top 6. We massively improved against the top 6 last season. Beating everyone of them in the second half of last season in the space of something like 10 games. We have made massive strides. Up until when we beat Arsenal and confirmed second we actually had a good second half of the season.

The 2 month spell between Feb 25th and end of April

2-1 Chelsea
3-2 Palace
2-1 Liverpool
2-0 Swansea
3-2 City
1-0 loss West Brom
2-0 Bournemouth
2-1 Arsenal

After the Arsenal game we didn't see Lukaku again. Sanchez was rested. If we can start the season with the form we finished last season on before the dip once second was confirmed we'll have a great season. The belief in the club was there. Coming from behind to beat Chelsea and Palace was a great momentum swing for us and we need the togetherness the club seemed to have then.

Mourinho has signed at least one player for each position with the exception of left back and right wing. This is his team.

It's harder than ever to sign players due to the money in the game; selling clubs are in a much stronger position. And people need to stop believing everything they read in the media. The 2018 summer transfer window has been an odd one for the majority of clubs.

I always find it odd that fans can speak with such authority about what goes on behind the scenes when in reality they have absolutely no idea.

It's his team it's certainly not his squad. I've highlighted already numerous times. Of the 29 players in the squad Mourinho has signed 9 of them. One of them is Lee Grant and 3 of them are for the future. Bailly Lindelof and Dalot. Bailly and Lindelof have to step up this season. Dalot needs time to settle in.

So in reality he's signed 2 CB's with potential and a RB with potential. Isn't such a surprise it's the defence we're heavily focused on this summer then.

So in reality he's signed 2 CB's with potential and a RB with potential. Isn't such a surprise it's the defence we're heavily focused on this summer then.

It's a massive surprise to me, considering the low quality of football we have witnessed during his tenure. The focus should have been on an attacker, who is capable of moments of individual brilliance to mask the poor attacking play. A new centre back should be way down the pecking order. Fans are naive if they believe Mourinho will release the reins if United have a better defence.

Agree with that SB. Personally think full backs and right wing should have been priority over CM and CB. Dalot might well be the next best thing but he's not going to start much yet and I don't think any of the others are good enough to start in the full back positions. Shaw should have been moved on this summer.

In martial, Pogba, lingard, mata, rashford, Sanchez, I think we have enough talent in attack, although we really need a right sided player. I do think we really need some authority in the CB position. And Valencia and young need replacing.

That should get us playing nicer football, will it be all out attacking? No, but it shouldn’t be as turgid as last year. He can’t do that again or he will be gone.

No one is asking for all out attacking football just something resembling an actual attacking plan other than "make something happen Alexis/Martial/Rashford/AN Other" and long balls to Lukaku/Fellaini. We would have won the FA Cup final in May with either or both fit and on the pitch for 90 minutes and that says it all.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back