Do we need a new captian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalegute

We have talked much about needing a creative midfielder to fire up our attacking play...

But is what we really need a captian, an inspiring player, who is on the field for the full 90min almost week in and week out?
Maybe we need a player to fire up our squad and all the players on the field rather than just a single creative force in midfield...

What do you think?

In todays UTDside i have trouble seeing who takes the role when neville is absent. Of course rooney but he will do it anyway:)
Rios injurie puts him out of the picture. Vidic is not that type. Would love to see evra take the armband. He will rise with the challenge. Rooney is a leader no matter what is strapped around his biceps:)

As for the cricket comparison I know jack shit about cricket so wont comment on that:) but i still believe the captain is a big deal in todays fotball. Just think about the CL-final against Barca. We just stopped playing. Had Keane been in the side he would have slapped everyone silly at half time and everyone inc. vDs would run themselfs ragged in the second half...

Well if you're looking for a 90 min, plays every game, inspiring captain. Fletch and Evra are the guys in my opinion. Both are rarely injured, both are very consistent, both have got plenty of years left and both are very fit and work hard. While Neville and Giggs have got the experience, they're not playing week in week out. Rooney's got all the credentials to be a captain but we don't do captains upfront and if there's a player you don't want their performances affected by having the captaincy it's Rooney.

Fletcher is captian for scotland isn't he? so i guess he is but for UTD, Not sure. Does he have the presence and stature needed among his fellow squadmembers. He's far from a Keane but it might work. Rather see Evra get it. He loves the club and is never injured..

I would pick Fletch hes a product of our youth system so he deserves it the most, and I would have picked Van der sar but due to his age it doesnt seem a good idea.

Casillas (Spain and Euro 2008) is an example of goalkeeper being a Captain.

Captaining a national team is a lot different to captaining a club week in week out. Ideally you want your captain in defence or midfield, so it isn't so hard to communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back