Do Our Defenders Score Enough

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by worriedturkey, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worriedturkey

worriedturkey Well-Known Member

Iwas brought up in the respect that just because you were a defender didn't mean you couldn't go forward and score(them days are long gone)all defenders nowadays are trained as forwards(how else do you know how a forward thinks otherwise)but looking at the defensive scoring record it's worrying, last season the defence only scored 3 goals,when you think of how many corners and set pieces we had thats abysmal (we've only scored 29 goals in the last 6 seasons from defence and if you take away about 10 from vidic it's frightening) this is a team game.........should they be scoring more.....or am i paranoid

2. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

Evra creates a lot of chances. There aren't many full backs who score a lot nowadays either. But Evra should be scoring more than he is. Hasn't scored since the 7-1 demolition of Roma in 2007. Vida chips in with goals, last season from corners the ball wasn't ever getting past the first man though. So he and others had not much chance. Vidic scored 7 the season before but only 1 last season. Surely proof of poor delivery.

3. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Probably because our corners are usually rubbish thats why it would be ideal to have Hargreaves back to take the set pieces although Nani and Giggs are decent.

4. OllieWillie FC

OllieWillie FC Member

Evans poses litterally no threat from a set piece. Vidic did well against Fulham winning 2 headers from corners in the last 20 minutes but put them both wide.

I read something on Smalling saying he’s looking to be a major goal contributor for us. With his height (6’5) it’d be a very useful asset, just look at what Hangeland did last night

5. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

Is Smalling quick? I thought he was but I don't think we got to see his pace in pre-season.

6. g@mb!t

[email protected]!t Well-Known Member

Vidic scored his first goal since last December and became the first defender to score this season.

1. Vidic v Everton (a) 11 September 2010.

7. deviledspam

deviledspam Active Member

Yeah this is a topic that has weighted my mind. We don't have enough overall goal contribution but I expect defenders 2 score more. Evra shocks me cause he gets up the flank so fast in good positions but he always goes 4 the cross even when the best options 2 shoot. I now he can't take a penalty but looks like he lacks confidence in open play as well. Raphael could be that threat 4 us but I'm gutted that he might not see as much play as he deserves now that Nevilles back. He might not be much of an aerial threat like Vida but he's got a napalm strike that's rare w/ defenders. I want 2 see more of Smalling as well. We need 2 gell him soon bc I'm not confident in Evans or O'Shea (not scorers IMO) & Rio is crocked more often than not these days. We can't keep relying on the same ol players & stragglers & expect 2 remain @ the top. We should have started reconstruction last season. Raphael should be a starter always, IMHO. We need 2 start showing some more confidence in these replacements instead of just giving carling cup play. We may need2 chalk this season up 2 transition 2 prepare a better team 4 the future. I'm no glory hunter so that would be fine by me. As always thats just my humble opinion guys. PEACE ;)

8. JSNFRMN

JSNFRMN Moderator

I've said this I think already but most of it is down to Nani's corners not getting past the first man, I think his delivery has improved though, although he is a bit hit and miss.

2. Smalling v Scunthorpe United (a) 22nd September

Smalling's goal last night was a strikers finish.

9. g@mb!t

[email protected]!t Well-Known Member

Smalling's distribution is excellent for an English CB, very European style of play that, Rio also great passer of the ball

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.