Sideshow Bob

TotalPremier LeagueEuropa LeagueFA CupLeague Cup
Appearances
Clean Sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

Hope we don’t see him used as a RW this season.

He should be playing all cup and Europa league games next season at RB to help develop him.

Yeah he is a right back. Probably better going forward with better delivery than awb. However defensively nowhere near as good.

Like the new table model for the player statistics

Hope we don’t see him used as a RW this season.

He should be playing all cup and Europa league games next season at RB to help develop him.

So a promising young player basically isn't going to play in his position long term as we now have a better option? So he doesn't have much of a future here does he?

I think Ole might use him as RW sometimes. He could transfer like Bale.

So a promising young player basically isn't going to play in his position long term as we now have a better option? So he doesn't have much of a future here does he?

My honest thinking here with him is develop him then probably try to cash in if AWB settles in because he's English and counts as home grown which will make him more valuable to the club but I think having 2 young hungry right backs fighting for the spot could work really well for us.

My issue with Dalot as a winger is goals a modern winger needs to score a lot of goals he doesn't threaten the goal when he plays puts in a nice cross but he doesn't attack the goal which the modern winger needs to do.

I was really disappointed we didn't use Dalot more last season but fitness was a big problem he had a lot of injuries through the season to be honest he never really looked fit as he missed all of pre season but hopefully next season he shows what he can really do.

The signing of AWB does make me think that they didn't really fancy Dalot based on what they've seen but both have weaknesses to improve on and whoever cracks it first will become one hell of a player.

My issue with Dalot as a winger is goals a modern winger needs to score a
So my issue with this is that I'm not sure James is going to score that many goals either? Now i guess you could use that argument to say well then we'd have one winger lacking goals so we don't want 2? But all I'm saying is a lack of potential goals didn't stop us signing James.

So my issue with this is that I'm not sure James is going to score that many goals either? Now i guess you could use that argument to say well then we'd have one winger lacking goals so we don't want 2? But all I'm saying is a lack of potential goals didn't stop us signing James.

I have the same reserves it sounds like he prefers to play from the left rather than the right.

Wingers now are basically strikers the traditional wingers are full backs in modern football.

There was something on a podcast about a scouting report on James suggesting long term he may suit being converted to a full back because his strength is his speed, fitness, dribbling and crossing ability which are skills better utilised by the modern full back in attacking sides. The attacking players need to be high scoring, highly creative players as a starting wide player needs to be contributing 20-25 goals in all comps for a top side.

I think had we had 2 really good centre backs and a holding midfielder you could give that sort of freedom to your full backs to basically play like wingers this is how Liverpool & City do it but the strength of those 3 positions allows them to do it.

It’s also their starting point that allows they’re full backs to be further up the pitch. Where we settle and where City their back line is probably 15 metres difference. They pin teams in with no escape.

It also depends the formation we play I wouldn’t be surprised to see us quite often having 2 upfront if Lukaku stays.

I don’t know too much about James but he said after the match he prefers playing from the left. Which is a shame as we’re screaming out for someone who wants to play down the right.

As for Dalot he’s still young and raw and I wouldn’t rule him out of playing further forward occasionally and there’ll be plenty of chances to get minutes next season. I do actually really like him. Probably the best crosser of the ball at the club but saying that crossing better than Ashley ‘hit first man’ Young isn’t difficult.

It's the confidence in those centre backs and holding player that allow you to push your full backs up as combined with the high press you force teams to kick long and if you've got 3 players mopping up all the long balls you suffocate the opposition. We did it for years with Rio, Vidic & Carrick with Rooney pressing defenders forcing them to play long it played straight into our hands.

What you need is full backs who can sprint back into position when teams do break out and recover Evra was brilliant at this he was basically a one man left side, since he dropped off in the later Fergie years we've not had a world class full back. I think what people saw with James as a potential full back was starting a bit deeper he could come on to the game and attack player with his speed as in theory he'd have more space to attack if he plays in the front 3 there's not a lot of space for him to run into.

It's hard to tell what the plan is for next season formation wise we kind of settled into a bit of a 4-4-2 diamond towards the end of last season but I'm not sure that is really the plan for Ole I guess we'll find out more in pre season but I expect to see a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 I think in the 4-2-3-1 there will be more freedom for a guy like Dalot to get forward as you have that second holding midfield player.

Pre-Season 2019/20: Manchester United 4-0 Leeds United - 17th July 2019

Seeing that Rojo is playing left back today. Isn’t Dalot supposed to be able to play down both wings at full back?

He can play on both sides but my guess is Rojo just needs minutes.

AWB/Dalot will rotate same with Shaw/Young during pre season but with Shaw injured Rojo is next in line.

Dalot has the same problem Young has when he plays left side that he can't go outside his man as he's right footed it makes us very narrow.

God I hope Rojo leaves.

They're changing the whole team at HT. Wouldn't read too much into it.

I was more thinking we were worried about minutes for Dalot but he could be #1 back up down both sides

I was more thinking we were worried about minutes for Dalot but he could be #1 back up down both sides

I think they'll be looking for Young to be the back up to Shaw this season.

My guess is Young will play the European/cup games at LB with Dalot on the right then in the league it'll be AWB/Shaw.

Premier League: Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United - 19th January 2020

Been on the pitch 5 minutes and still can’t win a race over 50 yards with Henderson who’s played 80 minutes.

Sort your fitness out lad it is embarrassing.

Another one for the scrap heap I think sell him and move on don’t bother wasting more time at worst he should be sent out on loan somewhere to play some football.

He’s fairly average. Laird should be given game time ahead of Dalot.

FA Cup: Tranmere Rovers 0-6 Manchester United - 26th January 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good for him to get 90 minutes in his legs needs to play as much football as possible and put these injuries behind him.

Took his goal well

I like Dalot, he needs a good run to enable his development. He is still a young lad who will get better. He can play a number of positions and i see him becoming an important utility type player for us.

I like Dalot, he needs a good run to enable his development. He is still a young lad who will get better. He can play a number of positions and i see him becoming an important utility type player for us.

I can’t really decide on him if I’m totally honest I’m not a big fan of what I’ve seen so far don’t really get what the fuss is but he’s young and injuries mean he hasn’t had many runs of games which I think he needs.

His position is definitely as a right back and his problem is unless our current one gets a long term injury he’s never getting a long run in his natural position.

I wonder if Utd decide to focus on Europa league rather than league in a few weeks time we might see him start a lot of the league games.

Europa League: FC Brugge 1-1 Manchester United - 20th February 2020

I think he will prove to be a poor buy.

Yeah don’t see it with him to be honest. Has a decent cross but he’s quite poor on the ball and looks lost a lot of the time. Think it’s just one of those many signings that hasn’t worked out.

shows very brief flashes that there is a player in there but looks overawed a lot of the time and there is no consistent level to his game, he is yet another poor signing of the many we have made in recent years.

Moved to young in my opinion he'd only just got into the Porto side he only played 11 games or something in the first team when he joined needed at least another season with them.

I don't want to totally rule him out bit like Fred he just needs to get fit, stay fit and play regularly.

From what I've seen of him on the pitch didn't really see the fuss but he's not really had a nice settled environment to learn.

The idea around signing him was we pay £20m now because next year he'd be a £50m full back but without that full season in the porto team he hasn't developed so he's still only a 20m full back.

I did not realise just how young he was. Just turned 21. I thought he was 23/24 even happier with his potential now and definitely wouldn’t be looking to move him on.

Strong rumour that he may be departing to Spurs this summer. I like him and would rather he moved on if he is not high in Ole's plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back