Did the choice of subs cost United the victory?

Sideshow Bob

One point at Stamford Bridge is a good result, especially in the context of United's season to date, however did the choice of subs cost United the victory by handing the initiative to Chelsea?

Not at all. They had one chance and it was from a hopeful ball in to the box and a lucky bounce off the post

No. Overall it seemed as if it was a fair result. We could argue that we should have won it at the end but equally Chelsea could have been 2-0 up before we got going.

I don't think so. Both goals were from free headers which in fairness to Jose backs up his wish for a quality centre half.

United dropped very deep in the last ten minutes which invited pressure. United lost the counter attacking threat without Martial and Rashford allowing Chelsea to throw players forward.

I think the subs were fine sadly we just switched off 1 minute to early.

Martial & Rashford being on the pitch doesn’t improve our ability to defend.

United dropped very deep in the last ten minutes which invited pressure. United lost the counter attacking threat without Martial and Rashford allowing Chelsea to throw players forward.

I wonder if just keeping things the same would have done the trick? It wasn't broke so why fix it?

Here's a mad idea , they come on to us and we just finish it 3-1? But what do I know eh?

I am not really sure about that. I think most teams drop off a bit when they are defending a lead. I think that is a mental thing. I probably would have kept martial on, keep his pace and high confidence. I know rashford has pace but personally I think he was really poor so I could see why he was taken off.

Winning 2-1 away you know what is coming every team will try to hold what they have especially vs a team like Chelsea.

Sanchez coming on made sense but I guess with Periera he didn’t really have much choice for the other wing.

He’d already made us more defensive by putting Herrera on for Mata.

For me all the subs made sense and if the team had kept their focus for another 60 seconds instead of switching off we wouldn’t be talking about this.

We didn’t lose that threat. We countered in them 3 times including missing a one on one chance by Herrera

Agreed with Rashford going off, worked his socks off for England v Spain and looked to be struggling with cramp or something before he went off. I'd have kept Martial on. Know why he was kept on because he's an out-ball but i'd have pulled Lukaku off and put Sanchez or Martial through the middle. Their ability outside the box is superior and finishing with feet better too. Lukaku also I thought looked a little lazy off the ball in the latter stages of game, he needs resting but seems as though he's untouchable under Mourinho as he prefers a big man upfront, even when he's not scoring he likes what he brings. If Mourinho is to stay for the rest of the season, I think we either need to bring Ibra back on loan or look elsewhere for a backup as Mourinho clearly doesn't fancy the other options through the middle as they don't offer that aerial presence of Lukaku.

Think Lukaku stays on for his height on set pieces.

Lukaku was useless yesterday. He needs a kick up the arse and needs dropping for Sanchez for 2 or 3 games.

Yeah but Lukaku is an untouchable him and Matic will play every minute of every game this season regardless of form.

I tend to agree his performances have been so poor he doesn't deserve to start because he's just not involved in the game at all currently and he's not one of those players who'll drop deep to get themselves involved which is fair enough as that's not really his job.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back