Designated Penalty Taker

Sideshow Bob

I really don't understand why United rotate the penalty taker. There's should be one designated penalty taker. Rashford should be the one.

I’ve always thought there should be one penalty taker and that’s that. Rashford scored last week, against PSG and in a WC shoot out. Whereas Pogba has been patchy at his best with his penalties. Baffling.

Pretty furious to be honest. I’m not saying Rashford would have scored and Pogba’s wasn’t a bad penalty but it hints at poor management as the players were jostling over who would take it.

I really don't understand why United rotate the penalty taker. There's should be one designated penalty taker. Rashford should be the one.
I dunno I think it has it's merits. Different takers have different techniques and it keeps the GK guessing. It wasn't like it was a terrible penalty either. If the keeper goes the other way then it's described as an emphatic spot kick.

It's a massive gamble when the taker has missed several before versus the guy who has never missed and taken pressure kicks. Even if you don't think it's weak management it looks like it.

Just seen the pen, that's just a great save to be fair. It was a good pen, hit hard

Pogba has missed a few but he's also scored quite a few as we got a lot of pens last season think they flashed up his stats he's scored 7 of 11 I think so basically he scores 2 out of 3 and that pen last night was a very good save the keeper obviously read his action and got himself across quickly. It was interesting that he didn't do his slow run up technique it was a much more traditional style of penalty for me it was a good save wasn't an unstoppable penalty as he didn't hit the corner but he hit it hard enough that it would beat a lot of keepers.

As for the whole designated penalty taker stuff I do agree the manager should be making the call as what happens when both Pogba and Rashford want to take it? Currently it seems to be if you are fouled you get to decide which to me isn't how it should work this isn't kids football and it looks bad when a player misses. For me you name the number 1 taker and it's up to him if he decides in the game he doesn't want it for some reason he can chuck the ball to the next in line.

Who takes next pen?
I’m sure you’re gonna see Paul Pogba score a pen for Manchester United again, definitely. We’re practising pens still and Marcus and Paul are still on them.

Surprise at criticism of you over pens?
It’s not that I’ve left it to the players, we’ve nominated two and throughout the season you’ll have games where they are not playing and it’s good to know they’re there and trusted to take penalties.

It’s not like anarchy and they can do whatever they want, we have a few, last year we had Marcus, Jesse and Paul, it’s not left to them.

You need a designated penalty taker. We’re the only club in the league who you don’t know is stepping up to take it. And today was unlucky. 2cm’s right and it’s the perfect penalty.

But my god please take him off of free kicks.

There should be a designated penalty taker regardless of Rashford’s miss. Rotating and Pogba’s miss added unnecessary pressure to yesterday’s pen. I reckon Rashford would have score if he had taken the pen against Wolves.

There should be a designated penalty taker regardless of Rashford’s miss. Rotating and Pogba’s miss added unnecessary pressure to yesterday’s pen. I reckon Rashford would have score if he had taken the pen against Wolves.
We don't know that though. He could have missed on Monday and then lost confidence.

Either way the rotating of a penalty taker is a bad idea. How do the club not know who our best taker is? And if they do that person takes it. They may miss one in ten. But they shouldn’t miss one in three. Pogba regardless of Rashfords miss should never be in penalties his conversation rate is too poor.

I am with bob on this. At wolves I expected rashford to take and score the penalty. Yesterday I expected rashford to take it but I wasn't convinced he would score. Obviously we will never know the answer to those but it without doubt put some extra pressure on him.

He was unlucky today I think he steps up to take the next one still and Pogba I think should say to Rashford you’re the number 1 if you don’t want it chuck it to me and I’ll have it but you are the pen taker when we are both on the pitch it’s your call.

I mean 5mm to the right and that goes in off the post.

Premier League: Norwich City 1-3 Manchester United - 27th October 2019

Two missed penalties.

Who should be the penalty taker?

Thought Rashford was the man for it but since Pogba took the penalty against Wolves he’s gone to hell. Although I’m not surprised he misses at times because his lace through the ball technique is good but if you get it slightly wrong then you aren’t going to fully connect.

Personally I would probably give it to McTominay now, he’s got a good strike on him. Although even though Martial I missed yesterday I think he will be the guy who takes the next one.

Whoever the best taker in training is takes the pens.

Keeper cheated on both but that’s part of the challenge.

Reality is we’ve not got a great pen taker in the squad.

I think stick with Rashford put faith in him as for me he has the best technique.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back