Sideshow Bob

England U16s coach Kenny Swain has named Dean Henderson in his 18-man squad for this season's Sky Sports Victory Shield opener in Northern Ireland.

England's opening fixture is tonight, live on Sky Sports 2 at 7.45.

I asked Dean about the injury he got when stretchered off against City a few weeks ago. He said that at 1st he thought he had broken his leg, but after about 10-15 mins after being taken off, the pain had calmed and he just had some bruising. He has physically grown a lot since last year and is quite a decent keeper for his age.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds to me he wants to move to Sheff United permanently and who can blame him really. Hes one talented lad but he knows while we have DDG then he hasn’t got a look in.

Personally I would let him go back on loan because I really do think he has a real chance of being a real top top drawer keeper but if he wants a permanent move away then can’t really stand in his way.

I think a loan is perfect a season with Sheff Utd could be enough to convince Utd he has what it takes because if DDG doesn't sign a new deal there's a slot at Utd and with no CL football they might gamble on Romero for a season rather than try to bring in a keeper to replace DDG.

That said our scouts should have seen enough to know if they don't think he's good enough taking some money maybe with a buyback type deal could be a good thing.

There's something about this kid though 3 clubs he's been at their fans have all loved him and been gutted to lose him not saying that makes him good enough for Utd but it suggests he's a good keeper and his attitude is bang on and it wouldn't hurt to have a few of those around.

Looked a class act tonight. Think a loan move away again is the best scenario because I do think he has all the credentials to be our main man if/when DDG leaves.

Heard he played really well.

Club could make a very brave call if Dave goes do they put Henderson in as the number 1 with Romero.

If Dave stays do they tell Romero to move on and keep Henderson as number 2.Next season we have the chance to play a young keeper in the Europa League & League Cup games in the first half of the season.

To me ideally DDG signs a new deal Henderson goes to Sheff Utd on loan next season and gets a season of Prem football under him if Utd think he's good enough to be our number 1 then sell DDG and bring Henderson back as number 1 if he isn't good enough for us possibly cash in.

So... Here's an idea. We want to promote British youth and give them a chance. He's England's under 21 GK, DDG wants to leave (apparently) so let's give Henderson a chance. This club needs to face facts and build for the future. Having a young keeper in goal at this stage is not going to be the reason we don't compete for the title.

I'd still try and renew De Gea see if we can get him to sign a deal keeping him with us to 2022 or something like that let Henderson get a year on loan at Sheff Utd playing every week in the Prem then sell De Gea.

Have to agree with JSP. What you want is a 4 year contract for De Gea. One more season with us. Hope he has a blinding season whilst Henderson gets experience out on loan and we can judge him in the prem and De Gea having a blinding season for us to cash in next year.

Selling De Gea on the back of his worst season with 12 months left isn’t what we want to be doing. Stays another 12 months and it could add £40m to the price and Henderson gets the experience in the prem.

I don't think you can really gauge a GK based on a loan move though. Playing for a relegation battling team is very different.

I don't think you can really gauge a GK based on a loan move though. Playing for a relegation battling team is very different.
I think you can very much gauge how a keeper is because there are going to be shots being peppered at him. I think a EPL loan move could be the making of him.

I agree that we should keep De Gea for another year and then loan Henderson out and then take it from there.

Yeah because being Utd keeper for the last 5 years has basically been a spectators role haha.

I know what you mean about styles but it gives you a glimpse of can he handle the big crowds, the wider audience from TV, the intense pressure etc.

I think you can very much gauge how a keeper is because there are going to be shots being peppered at him. I think a EPL loan move could be the making of him.

I agree that we should keep De Gea for another year and then loan Henderson out and then take it from there.

But generally speaking the better teams, the teams competing for the title, their keepers don't have to save as many shots. They have to keep their full concentration and need to be able to start counter attacks etc. It's a different skill set.

Proper howler tonight for the U21’s. Every goalkeeper can have them but it was at a terrible time to do it.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back