Dean Henderson | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also hasn't made any mistakes, which De Gea has been.

What I have said is, if he carries on, and keeps clean sheets, he shouldn't be dropped. But you said said De Gea is the no.1

And it wouldn't be punishing De Gea for going home for his baby's birth. It would be Henderson taking advantage of his opportunity.

I think Henderson commands the area more, comes for crosses etc that mayde De Gea wouldn't. If he lets in some sloppy goals then De Dea needs to come back in, and both get replaced in the summer.

I'm not being harsh at all. It's just he didn't actually do anything in this game worthy of praising. It's not like City are a team that raided balls down on top of him. Everything he took was uncontested and easy. There wasn't anything that you could even look at and say that was a solid 7/10 good bit of goalkeeping. Our defence were excellent and the chances City did carve out they fluffed.

Yes his distribution for the goal was excellent. I think we had one similar in the Europa League at Sociedad too.

And everyone is totally ignoring his kicking which was poor at times and he was bailed out by the defence. Let's hope he sticks to throwing it.

But they wouldn't have scored had you or I been in goal.

The good thing is the defence seems to have turned a corner recently but it's the same as before when our defence is solid we don't score and when we are scoring our defence lets us down and we've got to find the balance. Yesterday is a good result to build on.
Oh here you go... what your trying to say is Maguire is making Henderson look good. You wont hear a wrong word about him, but maybe it is Maguire growing in confidence with Henderson.

Not trying to say that at all. But it is certainly notable that there hasn't been a wrong word said about him or Lindelof recently and that's certainly improved our defence performance. Clean sheets aren't just because of the keeper and yesterday's was little to do with the keeper.

However if you made the assessment Maguire and Lindelof are more confident because of Henderson you'd be wrong and completely ignoring the fact the game the change of tactics came in was the Chelsea game. I think it's clear that our defending is more proactive at the moment.

As I said Henderson did nothing of note. The team Infront of him did.

But as usual you have to come up with some nonsense narrative.

I'd love Henderson to be our #1 keeper for years to come. However he's certainly not earned it yet and the shirt is still De Gea's. Our biggest goalkeeping mistake of the season as been at Henderson's hands (well feet).

Henderson deserves to come out of the game yesterday with credit. You are determined to give none for some reason.

AC Milan 0-1 Man Utd

He hasn’t had many match winning moments tonight was one big save late on from Zlatan.

Big decision now for Ole I think De Gea will play the FA Cup game but who will be number 1 atfer the internationals.

De Gea doesnt deserve to lose his spot for wanting to be with his wife having given birth, but I am liking Henderson.
I get the impression he know's De Gea's weaknesses and sets out highlight them within his own game. You know, moving off his goal line and even out of the 6yrd box. That sort of thing.

De Gea doesnt deserve to lose his spot for wanting to be with his wife having given birth, but I am liking Henderson.
I get the impression he know's De Gea's weaknesses and sets out highlight them within his own game. You know, moving off his goal line and even out of the 6yrd box. That sort of thing.
De Gea has lost his spot for his poor performances, nothing to do with paternity leave. I think Ole has played this smartly in not dropping De Gea earlier in the knowledge Henderson would naturally be receiving a run of games.

I agree, you snooze you lose, Henderson should not be dropped. Jimmy Greaves lost his spot in 66 to Hurst over a minor injury.

I do think we need to be looking at moving De Gea on, he's not worth those stupid wages.

It is tough on De Gea but prior to his decision to attend the birth of his child this was a debate.

Ole has been loyal to him I think he'll start him vs Leicester at the weekend.

yeah, give him the FA cup, but let Henderson know in the big games he's the man now.

I still think Ole will go back to De Gea he's been very loyal to him but Henderson has at least forced him to make a tough decision with his performances I think most fans would rather we stick with Henderson.

It's not necessarily the performance of Henderson making brilliant saves but it feels like he's got the defence better organised and focused and less nervous.

yeah, they said on the radio he is noticibly more vocal, and more authorative in the area.

I don't see how he can be dropped, he's come in, and done much better than De Gea had been doing.

It's a tricky one for Ole for most of us it's a no brainer but we don't know all the behind the scenes stuff but on the pitch De Gea missing the last few weeks has made us look more solid defensively the attack has been blunted but that's not really down to De Gea's absense as it was blunt before he left.

Henderson for me still a bit dodgy with his feet but De Gea isn't brilliant and if De Gea isn't going to be Mr Fantastic when it comes to shot stopping arms and legs all over the show keeping out the impossible then he doesn't deserve to be in the team.

The last month has certainly made me think that De Gea isn't the long term answer and if he wanted to go the club should let him but we know moving him will be tough because of his contract. In my head the only road out for him is to Milan if Donnarumma leaves they might take him on a low fee with Utd paying off some of his contract as they won't be paying his wages.

The big rumour is that we are willing to part ways with both keepers and offer De Gea back to Atletico to land Oblak.

The fact Ole stuck with DDG so long does make me think that he doesn't 100% fancy Henderson and I can understand that he's obviously good but it's yet to be proven that he's great.

Oblak would be a great signing he's 28 he's clearly one of if not the best keeper in the world at the moment but will take a lot of money to get him out of Atletico.

Romero is gone in the summer so if both did leaves we'd need to sign 2 keepers a number 1 and a backup.

My guess is next season DDG goes out on loan Henderson is the number 1 and Utd get in a cheap experienced keeper as the number 2.

I think we need to give Henderson a season, I'd be a little surprised if we replaced him with Oblak so soon.

It would be a gamble to sell him without a real chance and then he turns into a world class keeper.

Poor performance.

Not convinced he is the long term replacement for De Gea.

It doesn't help that his CBs are useless in the air, but his decision making was David James level stuff.

My theory is that he is trying to prove he can do what we know De Gea doesnt do, command his box. And clearly he is trying too hard to prove that to us.
Once that settles he will be fine.

Dodgy day at the office for him certainly his least convincing performance in a Utd shirt.

Mistakes will happen with a young keeper lacking experience so as long as he learns from it no problem.

The worry is he seems to have this nervous energy that comes out wants to make an early mark on the game rather than just be cool and relaxed and just do your job.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-4 Liverpool

Not seeing anything to suggest he is our future number 1. The audition isn’t going very well at all, it’s easy to say in hindsight but of the Liverpool goals not sure we are conceding 4 with De Gea in goal.

Pleased he has been given a chance because he did well at Sheffield Utd last season but if you’re basing on form surely De Gea is back in soon? He played very well against Roma even if he did concede 3. We shouldn’t even be contemplating selling De Gea yet. Unless we sold them both and went all in on Oblak - I’m down for that.

I though this before, but tonight has confirmed that DdG should start the EL final, Henderson has had enough of a rough patch to make me question whether his form for SU or what I’ve seen recently is to be expected going forward.
DdG was super dodgy at the start and then was brilliant for a few seasons so I’m not writing Henderson (or DdG) off, but I’m not betting the farm on Henderson being our number one for the next 10 years.

My theory is that he is trying to prove he can do what we know De Gea doesnt do, command his box. And clearly he is trying too hard to prove that to us.
Once that settles he will be fine.
Thought u were banned?
He had a pretty unconvincing game and not his first!

Premier League: Manchester United 2-4 Liverpool

Not seeing anything to suggest he is our future number 1. The audition isn’t going very well at all, it’s easy to say in hindsight but of the Liverpool goals not sure we are conceding 4 with De Gea in goal.

Pleased he has been given a chance because he did well at Sheffield Utd last season but if you’re basing on form surely De Gea is back in soon? He played very well against Roma even if he did concede 3. We shouldn’t even be contemplating selling De Gea yet. Unless we sold them both and went all in on Oblak - I’m down for that.
Agree with that but don't forget Donnarumma?

I though this before, but tonight has confirmed that DdG should start the EL final, Henderson has had enough of a rough patch to make me question whether his form for SU or what I’ve seen recently is to be expected going forward.
DdG was super dodgy at the start and then was brilliant for a few seasons so I’m not writing Henderson (or DdG) off, but I’m not betting the farm on Henderson being our number one for the next 10 years.
I tend to agree, our GK position is becoming a problem. But DDG seems to be coming back fighting.

But it did sound like Allison was pretty poor last night too.

I think you have to give him a bit more of a chance but right now I'd say I'm leaning toward him not being the answer going forward but neither is De Gea. I think De Gea should start the next game vs Fulham if he's going to be playing the final then Henderson goes with the reserves vs Wolves.

I think Henderson was ok last night he made a bit of an error for the third goal but I don't think he was able to catch it as it moved late and was hit hard and got his position wrong on the 4th but he also made a fine save to deny Mane when he went through at 3-2 and also closed the angle well on Jota when he hit the post. So it wasn't a total disaster show from him and the 3rd goal lets be honest the play by Fred and Shaw was a lot worse than him parrying a ball to the striker.

I think he deserved a shot at trying to establish himself as the number 1 but he's not done enough to convince me does all the easy things well but doesn't seem to be doing anything difficult that catches your eye which top keepers do.

Likely scenario is the club stick with both next season unless they do try and go for Donnaruma but then you're getting yourself involved with his agent (yes that one) who's going to want big wages and a bit fat cheque for his boy on a free.

Could Utd potentially get DDG into Milan as a replacement? They won't be able to afford his wages and a fee and maybe wouldn't want him either.

I think you have to give him a bit more of a chance but right now I'd say I'm leaning toward him not being the answer going forward but neither is De Gea. I think De Gea should start the next game vs Fulham if he's going to be playing the final then Henderson goes with the reserves vs Wolves.

I think Henderson was ok last night he made a bit of an error for the third goal but I don't think he was able to catch it as it moved late and was hit hard and got his position wrong on the 4th but he also made a fine save to deny Mane when he went through at 3-2 and also closed the angle well on Jota when he hit the post. So it wasn't a total disaster show from him and the 3rd goal lets be honest the play by Fred and Shaw was a lot worse than him parrying a ball to the striker.

I think he deserved a shot at trying to establish himself as the number 1 but he's not done enough to convince me does all the easy things well but doesn't seem to be doing anything difficult that catches your eye which top keepers do.

Likely scenario is the club stick with both next season unless they do try and go for Donnaruma but then you're getting yourself involved with his agent (yes that one) who's going to want big wages and a bit fat cheque for his boy on a free.

Could Utd potentially get DDG into Milan as a replacement? They won't be able to afford his wages and a fee and maybe wouldn't want him either.
Yes, it I think we've witnessed he is not the GK we want long term. DdG has again proved his tremendous ability, hope he is given the respect he totally has earned. Yes, we can go for another world class keeper but how much.will he cost?
If the Glazers want rid of.him for his wage, then heaven help us!
Don't forget, we just let.Sergio Remero go, and how.good is he?

Yes, it I think we've witnessed he is not the GK we want long term. DdG has again proved his tremendous ability, hope he is given the respect he totally has earned. Yes, we can go for another world class keeper but how much.will he cost?
If the Glazers want rid of.him for his wage, then heaven help us!
Don't forget, we just let.Sergio Remero go, and how.good is he?

Goalkeeper is a bit of a mess at the moment for us potentially all 4 of the current keepers could leave this summer it sounds like Tom Heaton is coming in as a number 3 to replace Romero & Grant who aren't getting new contracts.

De Gea for me is finished as a top level keeper he had a good game in Rome where he made some clever reflex saves but they were often poor finishes that I would expect a keeper to save. He's been on a 2-3 year decline but he deserves a massive send off if and when he does leave as that guy carried us for 5 years through some very dark times.

If we are going to sign Donnarumma for example I think the club has to sell or loan out both De Gea and Henderson next season. De Gea will be tough to move because of his sky high wages which I think still have 2 more years to go on that deal. They might have to do what they did with Sanchez and almost let him go for free to pay up some of his contract if another club wanted him.

You would assume he'd want to go back to Spain given the recent birth of his son and his partner is based in Spain the big 3 over there are all sorted for a keeper. Could Utd try and offer De Gea as part of a deal for Oblak? That one feels like a very optimistic scenario. His only other option would be going to a club like Sevilla as he'll want to play for a competitive side.

Henderson despite his form would be someone Utd could probably get a good fee for say 20-25m and I think a lot of clubs would take him but I think it's more likely he'd go on loan as he's on high wages and on a very long contract.

Holy geeze, Henderson is on 120k/week. We've got almost 500k/week tied up in keepers who aren't clearly the best in their position. Peak Ed.

I haven't paid that much attention lately, but I want to say Donnarumma hasn't been much better than what we currently have. Could be wrong about that though.

Holy geeze, Henderson is on 120k/week. We've got almost 500k/week tied up in keepers who aren't clearly the best in their position. Peak Ed.

I haven't paid that much attention lately, but I want to say Donnarumma hasn't been much better than what we currently have. Could be wrong about that though.

Yeah been a very expensive position this season.

I haven’t seen him much didn’t really stand out in their games against us everyone raves about him though. Last I saw he was expected to join Juve but if they don’t make top 4 surely that won’t happen.

Bet his agent is chasing silly money.

Van Der Sar was like 41 when he finally left, wasn't he? DeGea has another decade at the top. If something is wrong with him currently, it's mental. I would keep him and try to work on the areas of the game he is struggling with. Henderson is currently more athletic, loves to get suicidally out of his box, loves to flap at crosses, but he's nowhere near DeGea in terms of shot-stopping or distribution. Henderson needs to work on his game, he just isn't the finished article yet, but even so, I don't think he'll ever be as good as DeGea was at his peak, and I'll take a DeGea on the decline over Hendo.

Would put De Gea straight back in for the next game. We can’t deny his powers have dwindled somewhat but he is still the better option compared to Henderson. Glad he’s been given a chance because he deserved but sometimes you’ve got to admit the better keeper is on the bench and needs to come in.

I wonder how much of DdG's issues are between the ears. He's played a lot of football in the last few years without any break. Yeah I know, keepers being overworked and all, but he was our only good player for how many seasons, and maintaining professional standards while dross around you gets rewarded with big money contracts has got to be mentally tough. He's the highest paid keeper on the planet by some margin and maybe he's just not as motivated to put in the extra work like he was before when he was making a name for himself.

Van Der Sar was like 41 when he finally left, wasn't he? DeGea has another decade at the top. If something is wrong with him currently, it's mental. I would keep him and try to work on the areas of the game he is struggling with. Henderson is currently more athletic, loves to get suicidally out of his box, loves to flap at crosses, but he's nowhere near DeGea in terms of shot-stopping or distribution. Henderson needs to work on his game, he just isn't the finished article yet, but even so, I don't think he'll ever be as good as DeGea was at his peak, and I'll take a DeGea on the decline over Hendo.

I think it’s tactical the team isn’t defending as deep anymore meaning he has to control his area more something he’s never been good at.

He was a master of reflex saves maybe at 30 his reflexes are no longer as sharp so he can’t pull off the wonder saves anymore.

De Gea is still a good keeper but 3 years ago he was arguably the best around his decline has been long so this isn't a dip in form this is a player who’s best days are behind him.

I think it’s tactical the team isn’t defending as deep anymore meaning he has to control his area more something he’s never been good at.

He was a master of reflex saves maybe at 30 his reflexes are no longer as sharp so he can’t pull off the wonder saves anymore.

De Gea is still a good keeper but 3 years ago he was arguably the best around his decline has been long so this isn't a dip in form this is a player who’s best days are behind him.
I disagree with that last bit, but even in his current "decline" he's better than Henderson, so he should play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back