Dean Henderson | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Dean Henderson’s performances.

Carabao Cup: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-3 Manchester United - 30th September 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2 games 2 cleansheets. He can’t do more than that but he’ll have to wait for DDG to make some mistakes to really stake his claim.

I wonder if Ole will give him the champions league games too.

I think he will play the group stage games of CL the only way to keep them both happy.

De Gea has let in 5 but he's not been at fault for any of them and he's made some nice saves as well so it's not time to ditch him but the pressure is real now if his performance level dips there's a ready made replacement ready to step in.

What do we need DDG for when we have Hendo pulling off worldie saves like that one last night! His body language is so much more positive that DDG's. He caught a ball last night and almost pushed Lindeloff out the way (think it was him) to hurl the ball quickly up to the left wing. DDG would still be pondering what to do with it. Another one who's confidence has been shot. One mistake and Hendo will be in there. I can't see DDG coming back from another howler and it must be on his mind too

Southampton 2-3 Man Utd

Premier League debut and a chance now to establish himself while De Gea recovers.

Didn’t concede and made a couple of routine stops second half and was good with his feet too.

If he plays well while DDG is out he should keep the spot.

You could also hear him regularly talking/shouting to the back four, instructions which I think our defence constantly needs.

West Ham 1-3 Man Utd

Man of the match?

I thought he did well yesterday. I feel his kicking is better than De Gea and more vocal which is essential in a goalkeeper. Deserves a run of games.

I like Henderson although the disallowed goal I think his positioning could have been better. He deserves a chance to push de gea

Hendo needs a run in the team. DDG has had his chances time and time again and his body language tells me he is an unconfident individual. Henderson looks like he is up for it, he must give the back 4 confidence being like that.

In all honest I'm sick of the sight of De Gea.

Premier League: Sheffield United 2-3 Manchester United - 17th December 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bad moment but didn't let it really effect him he seemed to shake it off and get on with the task at hand.

Think they all under estimated how quick the lads up top are.

Do we think Henderson will start the next game vs Leeds?

It was a horrible moment but I think Lindelof and Maguire were partly culpable too. The three of them were much too close to each other which meant their forwards did not have much ground to cover to close him down.

Pretty sure DDG will play against Leeds

When you change either the CBs or the keeper, problems arise just because they are not familiar with each other's playing ability/style under pressure. It's one thing in training and another in a game. Hendo is a good keeper but he does not look ready to take over from DeGea, unless we want a real drop in quality, but we could (I suppose) cash in DeGea and use that money to.. ha ha ha. That money would go to the Glazers for a Xmas present. Nevermind.

Carabao Cup: Everton 0-2 Manchester United - 23rd December 2020

Not been impressed by his performances so far. De Gea keeps his place.

Didn’t seem to have much to do last night.

I think he’s done ok but he isn’t forcing De Gea out of the team with his performances just yet.

He deserves to be judged over a run of games not just being in and out of the side.

He will need to make the most of the cup games as this is where his chances will come over the next few months unless there’s an injury.

He reminds me of Roy Carroll in his playing style. And that is not a compliment.

I get Joe Hart/Jordan Pickford vibes he’s like a kid who’s had to many sweets he needs to calm down looks way to worked up.

I get Joe Hart/Jordan Pickford vibes he’s like a kid who’s had to many sweets he needs to calm down looks way to worked up.
I want to upgrade my Roy Carroll comment to your Joe Hart observation. I think the Joe Hart tag is way more accurate.

FA Cup Man Utd 1-0 Watford - sat 9th Jan

Gives me jitters.

Very different style to De Gea likes to come off his line rather than stay home but I don’t think he’s particularly dominant in his box as he’s not the biggest.

He’s got to make his chances in cup and Europa count as I think De Gea is still clearly the number 1 at the half way point.

I think he has bags of potential and expect him to be our number 1 by 22/23 season if not before

FA Cup Man Utd 1-0 West Ham

Did he do enough to take the number 1 spot?

I think he did but he barely had anything to do.

I think I’d be pretty annoyed if he didn’t start the league game at the weekend.

I don't think so. He almost dropped a clanger but the striker wasn't following up on it. Looks too nervous to put in a league game.

I dunno maybe we need to build that confidence by giving him games try and calm him down so the nerves don’t get to him.

I think De Gea just needs dropping we wouldn’t stand for this form from an outfield player so I think Henderson deserves a chance.

If he comes in and makes mistakes you can change back but I think De Gea needs a boot up the backside.

Next 4 games West Brom (a), sociedad (a), Newcastle (h), Sociedad (h) I see no reason we couldn’t give him those 4 games and judge how he does if he does well stick with him if he makes mistakes bench him and bring De Gea back in.

I thought he dropped that, but from behind on the replay it looked like he patted it down on purpose
I think we need to risk it, no point having 2 poor keepers. If he's not good enough we need to get someone in next season who is, we need to find out

I didn't see the replay tbf so could be wrong.

I might be being kind, I decided to give him the benefit of doubt :)

I think he fluffed the catch but it landed harmlessly and he was still in control dropped it as he feet rather than away from him.

Think it was offside anyway so wouldn't have counted if someone had followed in.

Had a bit of a dance around an attacker at one point that was a bit heart in mouth but he did it well.

Was a tough game for him to really show why he should be the number 1 as it was such a quiet night for him but I think De Gea has now had enough games that show that he shouldn't be guaranteed the number 1 spot.

Of the games Henderson has played think he's had one howler vs Sheff Utd same can't really be said for DDG at this point.

I think De Gea will get the nod, I can see why, for confidence, but I think it would be the wrong decision.

We need to move on from him long term, and we need to find out if the guy we have can be the man to do it.

I think De Gea will get the nod, I can see why, for confidence, but I think it would be the wrong decision.

We need to move on from him long term, and we need to find out if the guy we have can be the man to do it.

Yeah I think with the 2 Europa games coming he'll stick with Dave in the league and play Henderson in Europa he's very loyal to De Gea and we only see the positives of putting Henderson in Ole sees him every day so he might see things in training that worry him that we've not had in matches.

I do agree De Gea has been a great servant to this club 4 POTY awards in 5 seasons god knows where we'd have finished under LVG/Mourinho without him but he's nowhere near the keeper he was in 2018 anymore not even in the conversation for best in the world anymore. His time has sadly come but with him on such a huge contract unless he's prepared to take a cut to go elsewhere or take a pay off from us hard to really see where he goes.

I know the Donnarumma name has appeared on here in the last few weeks could we offer Milan a ready made replacement in De Gea? Even if they took him on a 1 year loan and paid the wages Utd would probably see that as a positive.

Real Sociedad 0-4 Man Utd

How do we think he did?

I wasn’t fully paying attention to the game but don’t really recall any major concerns didn’t have to make a brilliant save, looked like he dominated his box well and also his distribution was good.

We don’t see him every day but it’s hard to see why he isn’t being put in as number 1 with the form of DDG.

Was weak coming for a cross but couldn't moan at his performance.

We don't score the third goal with De Gea playing. He holds on to that ball instead of launching the counter.

Real Sociedad 0-4 Man Utd

How do we think he did?

I wasn’t fully paying attention to the game but don’t really recall any major concerns didn’t have to make a brilliant save, looked like he dominated his box well and also his distribution was good.

We don’t see him every day but it’s hard to see why he isn’t being put in as number 1 with the form of DDG.
I wonder if respect for what he has done here is keeping De Gea in the team. Obviously not correct but it could be why they aren’t quite willing to bin him off yet as number one.

Henderson deserves an extended run for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back