De Gea not happy with United contract offer | now happy and about to sign deal

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anything less than parity with our top earner is an insult star man in 4 of last 5 seasons only been here from 7 years and he’s the one player we have who would walk into any team in the world.

Assuming there’s any truth in the story Utd really shouldn’t be messing about and penny pinching on his deal.

Giving Sanchez the reported mega deal we have £300k a week plus a £75k appearance bonus according to some means the current top boys will want the same when it comes to discussing their deals.

I mean... If the club mess this one up then they should sack everyone involved in contract dealings and transfer dealings.

They might not want to give out huge money but they should have thought about that before giving stupid money to players who weren't worthy.

DDG deserves to be the top paid player at the club. He's the best player, he's the best GK in the world and he's been our top performer for years.

Do they think because Real are out of the running that they can get away with giving him less? To be honest it's a disgrace.

He’s the most important player at the club and the main reason we’ve even been in the fight for top 4 the last few seasons

It’s just tactics leaking things in the press.

Came from castles wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Mourinho letting it slip to throw some shade back at Woodward as he’s not sorting contracts out properly.

De Gea should have signed a new contract BEFORE Real signed a new keeper. That was his bargaining position which he has now lost, bad by his agent. He should still be getting parity with our top earner tho.

If united are using the Courtois deal to play games with De Gea then shame on them.

I don't think anything is going on. My guess is Utd haven't actually started negotiations as he's tied down for 2 years you'd hope that over the next 12 months they'll sort this one out because it won't be long before clubs like Juventus or PSG start sniffing around him because they can offer him the trophies Utd can't.

De Gea's agent is Jorge Mendes the story above came from Duncan Castles who everyone knows has links to Mendes to me a story like that is an agent trying to hurry a club up in terms of negotiations.

Transfer window is shut now might be a few deals to get some players out before European window shuts but really next few months has to focus on sorting out existing player contracts then Jan to June can be spent planning for next summer

I think he loves the fans too much, because of how they treated him. I really get the impression he wats to win stuff with the club

I think he does want to win at Utd but he's not an idiot he must look at the squad and think this lot aren't getting near the league or CL any time soon and it's a question of how long is he prepared to wait and how much does he believe that we'll be back.

5 probably about to be 6 years with no league title is a long time for this club and right now it doesn't look like we are heading forward at best we are standing still possibly even going backwards.

He's 27 so 5 year deal takes him to 32 and he looks to me like a keeper who's going to drop off into his 30's as his reflexes decline like Casillas, so the next 5 years are his peak years. I'm 50/50 on him staying or going think he'll see how this season goes and who might be interested in him if the offers are no good he'll stay but if a club who can offer him trophies could tempt him and with 1 year on his deal he might ask to go. If he does you're looking at £40m coming in then having to spend £80m on a replacement like Chelsea had to do.

I don't thik the squad is that far off you know, I know people on here shoot me down for this, but I think a top drawer CB and we would compete. It would move us up the pitch another 10-15 yards.

I think to win a league we need 4 players unless Dalot turns out to be a world class player.

Right now we need a top class RB, 2 CB's (don't really rate any of our 5 currently) and a RW that's just the starting XI the squad needs much more of an overhual if it was down to me I'd be chaning the entire defence apart form Dalot & Shaw.

Think there's even questions over Lukaku being a good enough number 9 to fire you to the title he's 25-30 a season not 35-40 so others really need to step up and support him as the numbers from the other attackers aren't good enough.

Jesus we said all that at the start of the summer and look where we still are

It’s kind of relevant to this discussion though because we are trying to get our star player to sign a new deal and the question is will he if he doesn’t think the team can win the major titles?

This thread shouldn't even have been started. The board are idiots. They know nothing about football and not a lot about people. We are lucky that he's stayed with us as long as he has.

Its been rumoured both Shaw and De Gea’s reneweals will be announced this week

It's in the clubs interest to negotiate you don't go straight in with your top offer and really the jackpot for them this summer was Courtois going to Madrid as that removed that destination for him.

Happy to see De Gea stay if he signs a new deal would like to have seen Shaw sweat a bit more before he got his new deal but can't really blame the club for acting quickly.

United are also prepared to offer goalkeeper David de Gea, 28, a long-term contract worth £90m - the largest basic pay package in English football history - and are confident the Spain international will sign.

This one seems to be dragging on and on looks like he will stay any talk of a move is gone just seems like it’s taking a long time to get over the line.

Be a big boost for the club if he does commit.

Be great to keep him but not sure any keeper is worth 350k a week to be honest. One of the best shot stoppers ever but would like to see him command the area more. Communication with the back 4 still seems lacking too. I'd like to see these areas improved even just slightly.

350 is a lot, De Gea is world class, but because his keeping is all about reaction, when age catches up how will that affect him?

In terms of hand eye coordination you don’t lose your speed reflexes until well in to your 30’s. F1 drivers are the extreme highlight of this.

Batsmen in cricket are another one the reaction time for them is so small once your eyes start to go you're stuffed as the margin for error is tiny.

I think for a keeper where you lose it is in your spring can you cover the goal as quickly as you do in your 20's probably not but as you progress your positioning should improve which I thin De Gea's has so you don't need to make long reaching dives because you are always in position to save close to the body. The good thing for Dave is he's incredible saving with his feet so he doesn't try and save things that are close to him by getting his hands down he blocks with his feet.

It is a hell of a lot of money but what are the alternatives? Chelsea had to take £35m for Courtois last summer who is/was regarded as a top 5 keeper in the world like De Gea as he only had 12 months on his deal. If Utd put him up for sale I think they could probably get £50m but the market is small as the only top club that needs a keeper is Juventus and they don't really have that sort of money to play with. The only other one I could see is a return to Atletico in some sort of swap with Oblak but they couldn't offer him anywhere near the wages so I don't really see what is in it for them as. I think we'd end up spending more on a replacement than we would get for De Gea so I think we just have to suck it up and give him the money.

If De Gea gets £350k a week at Utd you can say he's earned it he's done his service and earned his way up the pay scale I think giving an existing player than sort of money is better than giving it to a new guy. This guy has been our player of the year 4 out of 5 years and given his best years to the club if anyone deserves the money it is him.

I agree we need to keep him. Sanchez buggered everything, on and off the pitch.

You give De Gea 350, then Pogba is going to want that too. And Rashford wont be far behind, a couple of years at this rate.

But yes, De Gea should be in the top earners bracket.

Pogba will get that if he signs a new deal I doubt he's far off that sum currently anyway. That's just the way the games gone now and De Gea would be the example to show to Rashford for if you keep going the money comes it doesn't come straight away.

You'd imagine for Rashford the club will be looking to tie him down to something similar to what they've agreed with Martial and if they go on to become established world class players in 2 years time they'll get another deal that reflects that but in football that's a hard sell especially if one of the big clubs start sniffing around. There's rumours of Madrid being interested in Rashford but I don't buy it personally and you'd hope they can agree a new deal with him relatively easy but to keep your top players without over paying you need to be on top of the mountain right now we are not.

The Sanchez situation may solve itself but right now it doesn't look likely that it will because where does he go from here?

Batsmen in cricket are another one the reaction time for them is so small once your eyes start to go you're stuffed as the margin for error is tiny.

Alastair Cook is a great example. An excellent slip fielder in his 20s, must have dropped over 20 catches in his last few years in test cricket, most of which were routine catches.

Don’t even to need to delve into his age and reaction times for me, he’s only recently turned 28, he is in his prime now and after the many years he has single handedly kept us in games he deserves everything he gets.

Really hope we can get this tied up quickly because he continues to be the best keeper in the league and I think we would be much weaker if he does move on.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think people might be reading to much into all of this Zidane apparently didn't want De Gea either he was very happy with Navas it was Perez who was pushing for a new keeper as Navas wasn't glamourous enough.

I guess a swap deal may be attractive to Utd as Courtios is a top keeper but will he want to come back to the prem now he's got the move he wanted back to Madrid? Madrid obviously won't want to be in a situation where they've got 3 very good keepers on the books my guess is all these stories are just the agent trying to force Utd to up the current offer to get the contract sorted.

The other thing being reported as being a problem for Utd is the fee his agent Jorge Mendes wants as part of the deal as he realises this contract means he never gets a big fee for De Gea so tying him to Utd for another 5 years means he needs to cash in here. Seems mad that agents have this sort of control but they do and when you are dealing with someone like Mendes the numbers involved are massive and the players won't interfere and force the agent to back down plus you have to keep him sweet in case you need him on your side in the future.

he's a good keeper, but I'm getting to the point, sign or sell.

There are a lot of good keepers about.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back