De Gea not happy with United contract offer | now happy and about to sign deal

Maybe this is the reason he suddenly can't kick or catch. The way I look at him is he is the best shot stopper around. His kicking used to be quite good but seems to have gone to appt a bit. He doesn't really manage the penalty area very well and he isn't the bravest. I would rather keep him than lose him but I wouldn't be devastated if he went.

I think we have offered a lot of money, Madrid wont pay that. So he needs to sign or leave, I love De Gea but this is beginning to get on my nerves a bit. There are plenty of keepers about.

Yeah we just need to get it done one way or another, it is clearly unsettling the player and I think in any walk of life uncertainty surrounding your job can get to you. I would hate to lose him but if he wants to go or is holding us to ransom then we need to let go. There are very good up and coming going keepers about that we could go for or to be honest Romero would be absolutely fine as a number one.

He’s already the highest paid keeper in the world by some margin.

He’s already the highest paid keeper in the world by some margin.

When he signed that deal to stay he probably was but I would imagine the contracts signed since then will have closed that gap quite a bit maybe even put him into second spot. Think his deal was reported at £200k a week when he signed it 4 years ago.

Obviously with contracts everything is speculation as very few clubs release actual numbers because they don't have to but I'd be surprised if players like Buffon, Neuer, Oblak, Courtois who have all either moved or renewed deals since De Gea signed that deal aren't earning close to the £10m per year we pay Dave given the clubs they are currently at.

I understand why the club would be reluctant to match him to Sanchez in terms of salary because it creates problems with the entire wage structure in the squad however your POTY in 4 out of last 6 (he won't get it this season) in my opinion deserves to be top dog even if he is a keeper. If anyone comes asking for Dave money next summer I'd be pointing at that saying prove it on the pitch and the money will come to you don't go chasing it before you've delivered the goods.

Reality is we need him to stay losing him now would be devastating as we would probably end up paying as much for a replacement as we'd get for him and it's unlikely we will get a better player in return because he is one of the best around and given our recent success in the transfer market I've got almost no faith in them getting it right.

I don't think we need to fork out for replacement, we have Romero. We could then wait and get a keeper on the cheap like Madrid will do with De Gea.
If he thinks Madrid will pay him 300 grand a week then go get it. And enjoy those fans too mate.

I like Romero but the drop from De Gea to Romero is massive he's probably the best number 2 in the league but if he was our number 1 then I think we'd have the weakest keeper out of the top 6.

De Gea being world class makes up for the fact that our defence is weak if we lost him and had Romero we'd need to sort that defence out to the point where we could have a keeper who's basically a spectator in most games like Van Der Sar was when we had a world class defence.

Honest truth is if we want to win the league or champions league any time soon we need both a quality defence that stops the opposition even getting a chance plus a world class keeper who can stop them when they do and with our resources we should be demanding both.

Andy Mitten:

"The situation with David de Gea is that United have offered him a contract which would make him the best paid goalkeeper in the world and that is not enough. The agents' fees are alarming.

“He has been offered a deal to become the best paid goalkeeper in the world and it's not enough. I don't think United should just succumb to every agent's demands just because the fans are saying 'pay him whatever'. You can't just do that.

I think enough is enough. We need to be sure in our own heads the worth of a player. If you are making a player an offer that is the best in his position and he still says no then the rine is right to tell him to look for another club.

Apparently we’ve told his agent we won’t be meeting his demands either sign what’s on offer or leave apparently his agent also wants a massive fee for renewing the deal.

I still think it makes sense for everyone for him to stay but it needs resolving I don’t see where he goes though all the big clubs have got keepers they trust.

I’m glad the club are actually sticking to their guns with this. He’s already the highest paid keeper in the world by over £100k a week.

I’m glad the club are actually sticking to their guns with this. He’s already the highest paid keeper in the world by over £100k a week.

I doubt that my guess is Oblak, Neuer, Buffon are all earning in the region of £200k a week which I believe is what De Gea’s current deal is worth. He’s reported to have been offered £300k to give him parity with Pogba but he’s asking for more.

I’m not comfortable with our players taxing the club to stay with us De Gea deserves a bit above market rate as he’s been a long time servant but he shouldn’t be allowed to take the piss.

I think he fancies a new challenge but I don’t think the offers are there for him right now so his agent is trying to get him a stupid contract to stay until the chances of the move he wants is there.

PSG have told him to stay for a year and go there on a free

I'd like to think he wouldn't do us like that but you never know with players these days.

The risk for de Gea is if he plays like he did at the end of the season will these clubs be coming for him?

this is the hard thing in this current market, he either signs a new contract or leaves immediately as there is always the risk of playing leaving on a free.

Isnt all that easy to get one or the other, as we have seen with a few players.

if he wants to see out his contract to go on a free, I would sign a new keeper now and bench him.

if he wants to see out his contract to go on a free, I would sign a new keeper now and bench him.

Why?

He signed a contract for however many years he's entitled to see it out if he wants to.

I'd hope a compromise can be found with a short extension and a gentlemen's agreement over him being allowed to leave next summer for the same price they want this summer.

Lets be honest he wouldn't be able to be this cocky with is demands if we hadn't signed Sanchez but until he's gone every player negotiating a new contract is within their rights to ask for silly money.

They are within their rights but the club is within it's rights to say no. I think benching him is a heart over head decision but I can see why you would say that. It depends on when you can get the goalkeeper you want. If he is available now then we would have to get him and bench de gea.

it's not heart over head, if he doesn't want to stay then we need to move on. So I would start now, we need to get some stability, not build a team and then a key player leave, same for Pogba. If he wants to go let him go.

Why build a back 5 for a season then rip out a key part?

edit

Just been reading Ole wants to replace De Gea with a keeper who can play the high line and is more comfortable with the ball at his feet. The article went on the say not sure the united defenders can cope with that and lists Shaw as one of the worst defenders the CL has seen, positional wise.
Had a bid for the Ajax keeper turned down. They want 40m.

It is far from ideal but this isn't going to be a 1 summer overhaul is it we will have to take time.

If he wants to go ideally Utd get some cash in for him if they can't then maybe you have to keep him one more season.

All those doubts are fair him being stuck on his line is an issue but it's chicken and egg stuff because we defended high under LVG and I don't recall DDG having any problems with that system it was arguably his best period at Utd.

Yeah I've got concerns over Shaw but he's the least of my concerns in the defence right now but it is crazy that we've been backed into a corner by him and his agent to making him one of the best paid defenders in the world. He's 22 or 23 now and he's still basically the same quality he was when he arrived injuries have played a part in that plus changes in management but you do wonder if he'll ever kick on or will he end up being a Phil Jones type.

Manchester United are preparing to make a move for AC Milan keeper Gianluigi Donnarumma amid reports David de Gea has turned down the club’s final contract offer.
Donnarumma is under contract until 2024 but his salary, reported to be €6million (£5.3m) a year, could be too expensive to maintain if AC Milan miss out on the financial boosts that come with playing in the Champions League.
Calciomercato reports a bid between €60m (£53m) and €70m (£62m) could be enough to tempt Milan into allowing their young keeper to leave Italy.
Mancheser United's interest in Donnarumma comes at a time when their own keeper David de Gea turned down the club’s final contract offer, reports The Sun.

Cillesen
Onanna
Donnarumma

Not even June and we're already being linked with 3 different keepers.

Reports are there's even been a bid for Onanna from Ajax.

One paper also suggesting Utd are prepared to put Romero in as the number 1 next season.

Madrid have apparently told Courtois he's going to be the number 1 next season and they'll be selling Navas apparently to Porto so that's them out of the running.

Cillesen
Onanna
Donnarumma

Not even June and we're already being linked with 3 different keepers.

Reports are there's even been a bid for Onanna from Ajax.

One paper also suggesting Utd are prepared to put Romero in as the number 1 next season.

Madrid have apparently told Courtois he's going to be the number 1 next season and they'll be selling Navas apparently to Porto so that's them out of the running.
PSG are the only club I see coming in for De Gea, the ship has sailed on DDG if the reports are true, constantly turning down contract offers means one thing, he wants out - so let him.

Been very good for United as a whole so let him go, I dont want anyone at this club next year that doesn't 100% want to play for our club and make us great again.

Very likely we will still have a few money grabbers here next but we can slowly eek them out.

PSG are the only club I see coming in for De Gea, the ship has sailed on DDG if the reports are true, constantly turning down contract offers means one thing, he wants out - so let him.

Been very good for United as a whole so let him go, I dont want anyone at this club next year that doesn't 100% want to play for our club and make us great again.

Very likely we will still have a few money grabbers here next but we can slowly eek them out.

I think the issue with De Gea is when he wanted to extend his deal the club weren't ready to talk they let it drift out and by the time they got down to talks with him they had this Sanchez issue to deal with.

No matter what anyone says if you found out the new guy at work who wasn't pulling his weight was on double or treble your money you'd be furious and probably would be in to the manager saying I want what he's on or I'm walking.

De Gea for me is within his rights to consider other options he's waited 5 years for this team to improve and it's not happened he's missing out on the big finals and big trophies by staying with us.

I don't think he's a money grabber because chances are if he goes to another club he'll be earning less than he would have been offered by Utd because while he's high profile at Utd at PSG he won't be getting silly wages.

I do agree that PSG seems the only place he can go the only other club would be Juventus maybe but they seem happy with what they have and probably don't have the money to pay that sort of fee or if Utd did a deal to sign Oblak he'd go back to Atletico as part of the deal but I give that one a 1 out of 10 chance.

He picked a bad time to have a below par season because worldwide his stock has probably never been lower.

Cillesen I haven't us linked with, I thought he was going to Benfica

I did read we had bid for the Ajax keeper. I think we should let Romero have a season, he deserves his chance. And maybe go back for Onanna if he has another good season.

Cillesen I haven't us linked with, I thought he was going to Benfica

I did read we had bid for the Ajax keeper. I think we should let Romero have a season, he deserves his chance. And maybe go back for Onanna if he has another good season.

That was a story a few weeks back sounds like Utd are sounding out a few options which is sensible I don't think Cillesen would be a good fit for us doesn't look strong enough to handle the rough and tumble of premier league. I think he'd be similar to Bravo at City.

I don't think Romero deserves a chance I've seen enough to suggest that he's a great number 2 but he'd be a terrible number 1 he makes a mistake in every game he plays but because he doesn't play against the top sides they aren't normally punished.

If we had a rock solid defence then you might be able to make a case but our defence is a complete mess who've relied on a top keeper bailing them out.

I absolutely hate the idea of Romero being our number one. It’s as if people have forgot De Gea has been our player of the year so many times because the 4 in front of him are atrocious.

I don't why he gets such bad press, everytime I have seem he looks good.

I'd be interested in Onanna but not on the back of one season, and he seems to want to go back to Barca too.

It's just little things with him nothing major we could do a lot worse but we can do a lot better there's always one dropped cross, dodgy kick or putting a shot back into a danger area in every game he gets away with it a lot of the time because the opposition isn't normally the best but there's a reason he's a number 2.

This summer has to be about improving the quality in every position in the starting XI possible now chances are anyone who comes in for De Gea is a downgrade but I think the step down from De Gea to Romero is massive. That's going from arguably having the best keeper in the top 6 to the worst keeper in the top 6 over night.

I've not seen anywhere near enough of Onanna to say if he's any good or not he might want to go back to Barca but I don't see them selling Ter Stegen any time soon and they are unlikely to spend the sort of money Ajax will want for their number 1 just to put him on the bench.

I don’t hate the idea of Romero being number one but it wouldn’t be my first choice. I guess if it was that the rationale they may have the thought of Henderson taking over the next year.

I think if he’s decided to go then we need to go out and buy a new keeper because as much as I’m sure he would do a good job next year, I would rather we plan for life after him right away.

Onana looks a little erratic when I’ve seen him although he’s capable of stunning saves. I would take Donnarumma for sure but looking around at the really top class keepers, not sure if many are attainable. I think Pope at Burnley would be worth a look if we were looking closer to home.

is Pope better than Romero though?

Donnarumma, how will he be in the prem after life in Italy. It's tough. I can see the point in Romero having a shot.

Pope is the one for me. But when I mentioned it to a group of friends I was laughed out of the pub. He isn’t actually their first choice keeper at the moment.

Guess Pope is still kind of an unknown for a lot of people. I just read he is actually 27 - I thought he was a bit of a young pup.

I’m not saying he’s the solution but if there is no other value in the market then he wouldn’t be a bad shout.

Pope had a good few months last season when Heaton was out injured but hasn't played this season at Burnley.

If we're going down this route we might as well just chuck Henderson in think he's shown he's got quality and the teams he's been on loan to all love him but it's a different game being Utd keeper.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back