Sideshow Bob

Guillem Balague:

"Real Madrid will go David de Gea again. There is already a buy-out clause in his contract at 30million. Real will go for him at that price, that’s for sure. People will question why there is a need to go for De Gea if Keylor Navas is playing so well. But De Gea will be Spain’s No 1 for the next decade, that’s the quality of ‘keeper they’ll be getting."

I'm not surprised... I'm sure DDG would be happy to stay at the club. But he wants to know we can compete and at no point in LVGs time have we really done that. Why would he want to waste another precious year?

To be honest I can see this being a theme this summer.

Players won't want to join if LVG is still in charge whilst others will want to leave. I can easily see DDG, Martial, Memphis, Herrera and maybe a youngster or two wanting out if he stays.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was wondering how long before this started again. Bloody disrespectful to United if he wants to leave even after that fiasco last season from real.

I wouldn't blame him but i'd be surprised if Real Madrid came back in for him. Navas has had a great season for them, De Gea will cost more this summer than last.

Was wondering how long before this started again. Bloody disrespectful to United if he wants to leave even after that fiasco last season from real.

Is it disrespectful? See I think actually even if he wants to go he's done it the right way. He could have kicked up a stink that the move didn't happen last year but he didn't. Instead he not only got on with it but he signed a new contract. That deal now means we get top dollar for him if Real do want him. He could have quietly gotten on with things without signing that deal. So if he now wants to go he goes with my blessing and thanks for being such a pro. Not many of those around these days.

Did he do if the right way last time? By all reports he had a contract on the table last time real came calling and chose not to sign for us so that real can get him on the cheap and give him a huge signing bonus. It was only after the deal fell through that he signed the new contract after being pointed out that he needs security if he has a career threatening injury. I thought he would and should have shown us a bit more respect after real put in a bid only to placate him and his agent.

Well they can have him if they pay 64m. But I think it's bs as usual from the press. Madrid didn't pay up 30m the first time around. Why would they now go all out and buy him for more than double that. Doesn't make sense. But hey it's Madrid and Perez who don't usually make sense

Oblak from Atletico I think. Handanovic and Donnarumma been mentioned. Someone who's been forgotten about is Butland though, been injured so that would depend on how he comes back from injury.

I just read this in the Guardian, double raid for Courtois and Hazard. That will be a tricky deal to pull off. I think they will go after De Gea as he's Spanish, Courtois has said he wants to stay at Chelsea and De Gea has kept silence. Although he did that throughout a couple of years ago.

I can see Hazard going to Madrid

I think De Ge's girlfriend has given an interview in Spain saying she is house hunting in Madrid for a bigger apartment, somewhere she and David can start a family.

Of course this doesn't mean they are starting a family any time soon.....

I think we all accept with DDG it's a case of when not if he joins Madrid even when he signed that new contract I think most of us assumed that got us 1 more year the fact we've got at least 2 is a bonus. The only thing is I don't believe his contract has any sort of release clauses in it so if Madrid want him they'll have to pay a lot of money to get Utd to sell whereas Courtois only has 2 years left on his deal so they could probably get him a bit cheaper and he's actually got more La Liga experience than DDG.

I think if I had the choice of anyone as a replacement I'd probably go for Lloris I like his no nonsense style similar to Van Der Sar quiet no thrills kind of keeper but there when you need him Neuer reminds me a bit to much of Barthez a good keeper but I think he's a bit mad and thinks he's a centre mid.

The stand out young keeper is Donarumma at Milan but Italian players rarely travel bit like the English and you might have a difficult settling in period and I think Mourinho will be cautious of that so he'll want a more experienced keeper the Inter keeper Handanovic from what I read/hear is a very solid reliable keeper and he's more experienced.

Spurs are going places under Poch (We should have gone for hm and not LVG) be hard to get players from there at the moment. Unless Barca take Poch.

They are going places but Utd have won 2 trophies in the last 12 months and can pay more and you could argue are also on the up plus they haven't got the issues that come with moving to a new stadium. Despite the league positions I would imagine Utd would be shorter odds with a bookmaker to win the league next season than Spurs.

Back on topic I think we could tempt Lloris BUT he'd probably end up costing more than we'd be able to get off Real Madrid for DDG because Spurs don't sell cheap especially to Utd maybe a better option would be to tempt Lloris then tell Madrid that Lloris wants a move they should buy him and leave Dave with us :cool:

I do think De Gea will leave eventually, not convinced it'll be next year, we may get one more year out of him.

I wouldn't really want Lloris, obviously a good keeper but I feel someone like Oblak is much more commanding. Oblak would be my choice everyday of the week if we did lose De Gea. Handanovic is a level below De Gea and Oblak and I think Donnarumma will be at Milan until the end of his days - that's just the way it is with Italian players.

Wouldn't have any issue with Oblak looked good whenever I've seen him my only criticism is he's rubbish in pen shootouts :p

My only point really with Lloris is I think we should try and buy proven PL talent first before going abroad not because PL is better it's just different

After he became our first player to win the Player of the Year award three times in a row i'm delighted that he'll be getting no where near it this year. He's not had a bad season by any means it's just for your goalkeeper to be winning player of the year he's having to make too many saves.

I keep hearing talk of him leaving I just can't see it happening. Why will Madrid spend £50m on a goalkeeper when what they've got isn't bad and they really want to make a proper marquee signing this summer.

I think the issue is Navas hasn't been having a good season he's losing the support of the fans and he's in a position where they can definitively improve. I think they will sign a keeper this summer I just hope Dave's contract scares them off as they won't want to match the wages he gets at Utd and the transfer fee makes him very expensive.

Being the Spain number 1 and if we don't make CL again he is the obvious target as his head can be easily turned

Ball is more in our court this time. Looked more likely last time, was still on same contract as when he signed, I don't know but was probably under 100k a week(?) and it was running out, now over (i'd imagine) 150k a week and still has 3 years to run I think. We have to play hard ball here. I think De Gea is happy here but would maybe be happier being in sunny Spain with his missus. I don't think he's desperate to leave, and will be professional if he doesn't get the move.

Real Madrid have never paid over £25m for a back 5 player. Their top 10 transfer records are front 6 players. I'm not sure they need to or want to pay so much for a keeper when they could get one for less that'll improve them just enough. Navas has had a bad season and does need replacing but they don't need to get the best.

I'm guessing the last big money defensive player they purchased was Ramos and that was over 10 years ago they had Casillas for ages and they got Navas in pretty cheap they could easily get a cheap upgrade on Navas BUT they are trying to replace Navas with the worlds best keeper which comes at a premium. Prices for defenders have doubled now Stones, Luiz, Mangala etc were all up around £50m which is double what they paid for Navas. Below are the top transfer fees paid for defenders by Madrid in recent years they've actually done pretty good business in buying defensive players as apart from Ramos the other 2 flopped.

Ramos 2005 27m euro
Coentrao 2011 from Benfica 30m euro plus Garay
Danilo 2015 from porto 31.5m euro

I think they're more likely to spend big on strikers or attacking players and find a cheap solution to their keeper problem but like Ronaldo if they want to come and take our best player against our will they can pay the top price we had to do it for Pogba so they can do it for DDG.

United going to offer him a huge contract apparently. Watch this space, this topic will get some coverage

I thought he already had a huge contract I'd be amazed if he wasn't already the highest paid goalkeeper in the world I don't enjoy the fact we seem to have to chuck more and more money at players to get them to stay they should want to stay.

I don't think he'll be earning more money anywhere else by moving.

If we are planning to offer him a new contract it with so long to run it and him already being paid so well it tells me that the rumours of a release clause in his contract must have been correct

To be honest if a release clause exists and they're prepared to pay it then we're probably snookered as I think De Gea will want to go and I don't blame him I think he loves Manchester Utd in the same way Ronaldo did but he'd surely prefer the Spanish lifestyle obviously being closer to family and his girlfriend he's getting to the sort of age where he might be thinking about starting a family of his own.

As long as we get a fair price like we did with Ronaldo I don't mind if he goes but it's a huge task replacing him we absolutely nailed the Van Der Sar replacement by landing DDG but we made a right mess of it with Schmeichel my guess is the club know what's going to happen this summer and they might be putting things in place to sort out a replacement.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back