Completely agree here... If he wants to go and if a club offer the right money then we need to let him go. It pains me to say that because I wish we was going to stay for the rest of his career but it's just not likely. I'm sure he is looking long term and I'm sure he wants to start a family and try to keep his family in one place. So in that respect Madrid is a much more logical option for him.

But who the hell do we replace him with?

Here's one to discuss... Kasper Schmeichel!

Got to be a 3 man shortlist.

Pickford would be my choice. Young English and looks to have all the potential in the world
Donnarumma rumours circling that AC Milan aren't doing great for money.

Those two are both good keepers with potential. Or we go back to our old friends Atletico and asked kindly if we can give them a tonne load of more money for Oblak.

I think the pressure on Schmeichel who in my opinion is no better than Mignolet would be to much and he makes mistakes at Leicester that get swept under the carpet at Utd they'd be back page news I think he's a good but not great keeper. Add in that his ex clubs include Man City & Leeds if he got off to a bad start he'd be in big trouble with the fans plus his dad isn't exactly popular for his antics when he became a City player.

Butland was the up and coming young talent that all eyes were on but he hasn't played in nearly 18 months and Pickford has come on the scene at Sunderland my guess is the manager will want to go for someone with experience at big clubs. A very left field shout would be Petr Cech but I think even Mourinho knows he's probably past it now as his performances at Arsenal have dipped, Begovic maybe from Chelsea depending on the relationship they had I think he'll want a keeper with proven PL pedigree as the lack of protection they get from refs can take some time getting used to when you bring in a keeper from abroad. I don't think he wants his goalkeeper to be a sweeper like other managers he just wants one who will make saves and dominate the box on set pieces as long as he can kick reasonably well he's happy whereas Pep obviously wants his keeper to be a footballer as well as a keeper. I don't think either is right or wrong it just depends on your playing style a Utd keeper needs to be good with his feet as he will take a lot of backpasses in games.

Outside of England Donnarumma is the modern day equivalent of De Gea he is the top young talent keeper in Europe but Italians tend to stay playing in Italy and he seems to be suggesting that he wants to stay at Milan but IDFD is right their takeover is stalling so talks over his new deal have stalled. The reports in Madrid seem to be that Atletico may need to sell someone to balance the books as they move to a new stadium if they're planning on keeping Griezmann they might be tempted to sell Oblak.

We'll probably just end up with Romero in goal :p

We could end up signing another one of our youth prospects. Heaton is having an excellent season at Burnley he's got proven premier league experience now.

I wouldn't want to be going for Schmeichel either.

Heaton's having a fine season but he's a stand out shot stopper Ben Foster looked good when he was facing 20 shots a week out on loan being a keeper at a top club is a different sort of job you have less to do and every little mistake is highlighted and analysed to death.

They might think that Joel Periera is ready to step up he seems to have jumped Sam Johnstone in the academy standings he's a very highly rated young keeper would they take the big gamble and put him in.

Johnstone had a tough start on loan at Villa, fans turned on him quick, but he's turned it around. Pereira also had a strong loan spell at Belenenses, Benfica are very keen on taking him permanently, Villa are also keen on doing same with Johnstone. Out of the 2 I think Pereira has the bigger potential now. Dean Henderson was also making a name for himself in the lower leagues before he had to be recalled from loan to cover De Gea and Romero.

It's a really tough one with young keeper as they kind of need a bit of an injury crisis to get in the team and when they do they need to take that chance and almost force the manager to stick with them it's a very brave manager who decides to put a young kid in as his number 1 for a new season.

I don't watch the U23 team very often so I kind of have to go on what I read from people on social media Johnstone seems to be rated he was England U21 keeper for a while but not sure anyone is saying he's good enough and bit like Heaton he maybe needs to move away and make a career for himself as a number 1 at a club in the Championship. He maybe falls into that good but not quite good enough category like Love, Goss, McNair, Blackett etc who've all moved on to new challenges having not quite been able to make it. Pereira seems to be the more highly rated the club didn't want to bring him back in January because he was doing so well but they realised that Johnstone needed a move to help his progress. Henderson was playing Grimsby and doing well but he's a long way from first team role.

I mean backing Periera as number 1 next season would be a massive gamble even if you had Romero as the number 2 to step in just in case but it is one option if we sign a new keeper as first choice you basically have to accept that Periera will never be the first choice and he'll probably look to leave.

I really wouldn't go with Johnstone. Whenever I've watched him he looks like a mistake about to happen. He's to eager to get off his line and use his feet.

I believe that his girlfriend doesn't like Manchester and David hates the cold. You find it difficult to believe that those non footballing reasons would be the reason to lose him but I think that's the world we live in. Ultimately I believe he will go soon we just have to play hard ball and get the best possible deal. I at least feel we are better at that under Jose.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Sun reported sources Inside club said he had a bust up with Mourinho after Mourinho called him out on dodgy performances vs WBA & Everton. He was dropped vs Sunderland as a result.

I don't see Mourinho dropping him but it's important everyone is called out when performance levels drop no exceptions. Considering they have the same agent I'm guessing it's not an agent letting this story out or it's totally made up like I said it's in The Sun and contains no quotes

I don't believe any of the stories apart from the one where he wants to leave.

And I am bit bored of it now, if he wants to stay he should say so. If not lets just sell him and move on. It's the same story every window.

Romero is doing ok, I quite like him as a keeper. so just give him a season.

He signed a contract so unless Madrid come with the cash he stays when we want to sign other teams best players we pay a premium so Madrid will need to do the same

Mourinho is said to have become concerned that increasing talk of a summer move to Real Madrid has seen his first-choice goalkeeper lose focus – reports put to the United manager in Brussels.

“I am not interested in the speculation,” the Portuguese said when asked about claims he had fallen out with the keeper.

“I think if the player is (effected by speculation), he shouldn’t because we are playing for very important things and every match for us is crucial.

“In the Premier League, we lose a match and the top four gets almost impossible. If we lose in the Europe League, we are in trouble.

“Every match demands from every one of us total focus.

“I think I don’t see David with any problem related to this.

“End of the season is a time where players can be thinking about what is going to happen with their careers. But that is the end of the season.”

Of course we should get a good fee for him, I didn't say that, I said we should just sell him and get it over with so it doesn't fester all close season. And don't spend money on new keeper when Romero seems capable enough.

I wouldn't just sell him set a price with a deadline for Madrid its £60m deal need to be done by 1st July otherwise he stays assuming there's no clauses we don't control.

I don't think he has lost his focus because of it I think he might have just lost his focus generally a bit as the season drifts

We can't afford for it to drag to the end of august unless we've already signed the replacement and he's playing before the season starts.

If we know a Madrid are coming in the summer again then I'm sure Utd will be lining up suitable replacements but whoever we get should cost considerably less than De Gea as he won't be as good

REAL LINE UP PART-EX DEALS FOR DE GEA AND HAZARD
Real Madrid are said to want to sign two of the world’s best players while offloading some of their deadwood in the process.

The La Liga leaders see Manchester United and Chelsea as the patsies as they look to offer a couple of Real’s fringe players in part-exchange for a pair of the Premier League’s biggest stars.

According to the Daily Express, who recycle a report in Diario Gol, Real want to shift James Rodriguez to Old Trafford as part of a deal for David De Gea, while Chelsea are expected to be tempted by the offer of Alvaro Morata and a few quid in return for Eden Hazard.

De Gea has been linked with Real Madrid since the dawn of time, while Hazard’s form this season has reportedly made him Zinedine Zidane’s top target. There have been whispers that both players will give the Premier League another year of service before returning to the continent, and if Real want either or both any sooner, they will surely be told to give their heads a wobble before returning to the negotiating table with more serious offers.

I treat any story that involves a player trade as nonsense as these deals never happen but if they want our first choice keeper and arguably best player then we should only be trading for one of their starters not a reserve no matter how good he is.

I like James but I don't see where he fits in at Utd he's either a number 10 or a right sided wide player not sure we really need a guy like that and we got burned with Di Maria if we go for any of these guys they need to be motivated by winning trophies at Utd not just coming for £200k a week

Maybe he wants to buy a bigger one with that new contract

Stories today suggesting Utd want players as part of the deal Varane & Morratta are the ones named today but these deals never happen.

Don't think the CL means anything anymore it comes down to Madrid putting up the cash to buy him

Madrid are going to challenge for La Liga and Champs League next season as they do every season right now Utd still look a way off winning the PL title and miles and miles off challenging for CL

If Madrid offer what Utd want he will go as it's obvious that's where he wants to be and if a Madrid meet our price we should let him go

Maybe he wants to buy a bigger one with that new contract

Stories today suggesting Utd want players as part of the deal Varane & Morratta are the ones named today but these deals never happen.

Quite possible that we want players instead of cash as not strapped for cash, hard to do though if players we want, don't want to come. Varane and Kroos would be ones i'd like.

I can think of 2 big transfers in recent years that involve players in exchange. Cole to Chelsea where Gallas went the other way and Zlatan to Barca where Eto'o went the other way

They are incredibly rare

The players coming the other way need to want to come and I don't get the impression that Kroos or any other Madrid starting players are desperate to come here players good enough to play for Madrid tend to be pretty happy to stay.

I swear every time I watch Madrid Varane isn't playing. Is he injury prone?

We might be able to attract their squad players but I think I'd rather just take the cash

Says United are prepared to negotiate the transfer, however United will offer De Gea €12m-a-year, which Madrid will not match.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Given the current exchange rates that would pretty much make him the top earner assuming Rooney/Zlatan leave this summer as that's going to be the sort of money that Pogba is earning.

We had this last time with him he was prepared to go to Madrid for less money than Utd were offering all Utd can do is chuck money at him to try and make him stay but not sure that really sends out the best message but he is the best keeper in the world so i'd rather give him a bit extra cash if it means we get another 2 seasons out of him.

I've got no beef with him if he decides he wants to go take Madrid to the cleaners and use that money to sign a new keeper and improve the squad in other areas.

David de Gea: Manchester United hope to resist Real Madrid move for keeper

Hard to tell if this is a genuine stance or just the club preparing for the inevitable bid that's coming.

Basically saying to Madrid if you want him you'd better be making an offer that's to good to turn down.

My limited understanding of contracts is basically DDG won't ever ask to leave as it costs him financially as you lose signing/loyalty bonuses that are put in contracts if you put in an official transfer request.

Given DDG & Mourinho have the same agent my guess is Mourinho and the club will know full well what is coming from Madrid this summer.

JSP, I know you always say player swaps hardly ever happen and I agree with you. But I can see us pushing for this in these circumstances. Madrid don't have the kind of cash prem teams have and I can see them willing on this occasion. The thing is, they aren't going to let their best players go. They want Mbappe I think, at 100m (really!).

The De Gea deal is going to drag, he wants to go but wont ask, united can hang on to him I think for 3 more seasons so are strong and Madrid want other large money signings. There is also a rumour De Gea wont go until Navas is sold, as he is popular in the dressing room and doesn't want to upset the apple cart.

out of possible swaps, who would we want

Bale - i don't think he would want to leave, sounds like Madrid might fed up with him though. Hes a bit injury prone for me.
Kroos - I just don't see this one as possible in any way.
James - We would need cash as well but if we Griezmann do we need him?
Morata - possible
Varane.

I think whoever said it is correct, we don't need the cash so we can be strong and hold out for a player we want, not one they don't want. But no doubt it will drag.

Out of all of those I think I would want Varane, as long as we sign Griezmann and Sanches (Bayern) If we sell Martial then I would look at Morata too

The only times they seem to happen are when direct replacements are involved back in 2015 Navas was coming as a replacement as part of the deal, Madrid don't have a player that can replace Dave as we don't want any of their keepers.

They aren't going to part ways with players they see as first choice and more importantly players who are first choice probably won't want to leave Madrid to come to Utd as we have to accept right now it's a huge step down.

FYI ~ Morata is reported to be close to a deal to go to AC Milan that is reported as being close to dotting i's and crossing t's in some places.

Morata & James seem to be the ones they want to sell who'll raise good money and I think both players are ready to leave, a few squad players like Pepe, Coentrao, Danillo etc might get moved on as well if they can find buyers. If you read the more in the know journalists Utd have no interest in James currently and I doubt we'd want their cast offs either.

The only way a player could be involved is if one of the guys we'd actually want Bale, Kroos, Modric, Varane etc made it clear that they wanted to come to Utd as part of the deal and I don't think that's likely given all of them are starters at Madrid.

And so it begins! This deal unfortunately is going to happen this summer in my opinion.

Having said that our good old neighbours just did us a massive favour... Because if that GK they've just reportedly signed is worth as much as is being reported then man oh man... DDG could easily go for £80m!

And so it begins! This deal unfortunately is going to happen this summer in my opinion.

Having said that our good old neighbours just did us a massive favour... Because if that GK they've just reportedly signed is worth as much as is being reported then man oh man... DDG could easily go for £80m!

The £35m fee being talked about is apparently what Benfica are getting as part of the deal they owe 30% of that to his former club Rio Ave but there's another £7m to be paid to his 3rd part ownership fund who own 20% of his registration. This 3rd party ownership agreement pre-dates the ban from FIFA so it's still valid.

Funny that the day we say he's not for sale is the same day Madrid try to launch a huge bid 2 days before the most important game of their season, something in these reports doesn't quite stack up with me.

To me it feels 50/50 that he'll be here next season Utd don't need the money but if his head starts to turn we will probably have to let him go as that's the way the world works now but don't expect De Gea to say anything he very rarely makes any statements regarding his future.

To me it feels 50/50 that he'll be here next season Utd don't need the money but if his head starts to turn we will probably have to let him go as that's the way the world works now

Unfortunately I think he's going to be sold. And in fact I think we need to either absolutely shut this down or we need to do a deal asap because this is a huge summer for us. We need to make all the right moves and it was already believed we were after 4 players... Well this would make 5 as GK wasn't apparently on that list! And what we don't want to do is miss out on others because we've tried and failed to keep hold of Dave.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back