David De Gea | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every keeper normally has notes on pen takers if there's possibly going be a shoot out. Years ago in a league cup final one of our coaches had an ipad to show the keeper (think it was Ben Foster) some clips before a shootout I think against Spurs.

How's he supposed to remember how 11 different people take a penalty a bit of paper you can check surely makes sense but it still comes down to a judgment. I imagine someone's had to dig pretty deep into an archive to find out where every Villareal player likes to take a penalty not like they're taking them every week.

Basically De Gea isn't a very good keeper to have in a shootout as he doesn't save many pens and he rarely even gets close to them so going forward we should probably try and get the job done in 90/120 minutes rather than go to pens which was clearly our tactic in extra time.

With him in goal you are hoping their player misses the target rather than De Gea saves one.
Which is crazy for a keeper whose number one attribute is positioning and shot stopping.

Every keeper normally has notes on pen takers if there's possibly going be a shoot out. Years ago in a league cup final one of our coaches had an ipad to show the keeper (think it was Ben Foster) some clips before a shootout I think against Spurs.

How's he supposed to remember how 11 different people take a penalty a bit of paper you can check surely makes sense but it still comes down to a judgment. I imagine someone's had to dig pretty deep into an archive to find out where every Villareal player likes to take a penalty not like they're taking them every week.

Basically De Gea isn't a very good keeper to have in a shootout as he doesn't save many pens and he rarely even gets close to them so going forward we should probably try and get the job done in 90/120 minutes rather than go to pens which was clearly our tactic in extra time.

With him in goal you are hoping their player misses the target rather than De Gea saves one.
No I'm not. Most top class footballers can score from 12 yards. There r some keepers who've got a decent % of preventing that. DdG hasn't. So why not get your other GK who has?

No I'm not. Most top class footballers can score from 12 yards. There r some keepers who've got a decent % of preventing that. DdG hasn't. So why not get your other GK who has?

Have you got the figures to hand? Is Dean Henderson some sort of penalty saving magician because I don't recall him saving a penalty in a Utd shirt.

Sociedad had one against him earlier this season which went about a mile over the bar so doesn't go down as a save.

From what I've found he saved one vs Gabriel Jesus last season while on loan at Sheff Utd and season before saved one from a Milwall player so he has saved a few.

All I want answers on in the shootout is why Bruno or whoever decided it went to shoot first. That meant the pressure was always on our players not theirs it might have made no difference but statistically it does.

I put them up yesterday. Since De Gea last saved one Henderson has faced 17.

6 saved.
2 missed the target.
9 conceded.

So Henderson has a pretty good looking record but I'm guessing a lot of those stats come from his time on loan down the divisions?

Again I was a few pints deep by the time the pens went and I have no interest in watching them back but watching it I don't really remember thinking he should be saving any of them. They took 10 good penalties and one guy blasted it down the middle which statistically is a good option but requires a certain degree of luck to come off.

They didn't scuff any or put any close to him it was pretty much all in the corner so keepers are never getting them. If a top player gets a good connection and hits the corner you aren't going to save any.

There's also a damn good reason he's taken the 11th penalty for us because he's obviously not a great penalty taker.

It's over now I don't blame De Gea for the final the team had 120 minutes to score enough goals to win it in extra time and know our keeper isn't great at penalties the decision to play for penalties in extra time is a bit baffling.

No I don't balme De Gea either, but I would have subbed him off for Henderson.

De Gea looks beaten before the ball is on the spot.

No I don't balme De Gea either, but I would have subbed him off for Henderson.

De Gea looks beaten before the ball is on the spot.

Imagine you do that and get the same result though?

I think it's one of those things that everyone thinks is a great idea because we lost a shoot out.

If I could change one thing about the shoot out it would be take first.

Imagine the abuse Ole would get then for flip flopping between keepers if it didn't work. I've only ever seen one manager do it and one other manager attempt to and get told no.

I get that, I know what you mean, but with the record Dave has, I'm not sure anyone would have argued. But yeah, brave thing to do, that is what you get the big bucks for though,

Think the bigger question is having made Henderson his number 1 why didn't he pick Henderson in the final?

If you want to talk about making decisions about the big bucks why didn't he sub Rashford and why did he let Bruno decide to take second in the shoot out?

I'm glad you acknowledge they have so many on field needs. Probably not all on Ole then and any other manager coming in would instantly solve it.

Donnarumma available on a free though.
Oh without doubt they have many on field needs. It's why the idea that this team is 2 or 3 top players away from being title contenders is laughable.

I think Dave dived over one ball and got a finger to two others, meaning he was "close" on 3 of them. The others were text book beautifully struck penalties that could not be saved. Whatever DeGea's secret is to being such an incredible shot-stopper doesn't work when he is faced with a dead ball situation. Figure out the reason why and you're a millionaire.

We got lucky with a few of our kicks, like Shaw's for instance, which somehow the keeper managed to get to, touch, and let it go under him.

DeGea probably wants to go back to Spain for family reasons. If he wants to go, we send him off with honors. I wouldn't be fearful if Henderson was our keeper next season but DeGea was world class and Henderson never will be.

I think Dave dived over one ball and got a finger to two others, meaning he was "close" on 3 of them. The others were text book beautifully struck penalties that could not be saved. Whatever DeGea's secret is to being such an incredible shot-stopper doesn't work when he is faced with a dead ball situation. Figure out the reason why and you're a millionaire.
For a few of them he dived before the player even got to the ball. That's poor keeping especially for a keeper who is so good with reactions. You'd think he'd be able to wait a split second longer than most keepers not go earlier.

Let’s be honest lads his confidence on pens is probably zero as he gets mugged off 10 times a day after training by Bruno slotting them past him.

It comes down to two things he’s either not been coached on how to give himself the best chance of saving pens or he has but he can’t execute the skill.

De Gea’s reactions are often from making saves very close in to him on his line a penalty is a very different thing to that. Just having a reputation for being a good pen stopper helps with the mental battle but De Gea doesn’t have that.

I doubt they use VAR in shootouts but since it came in keepers have had to retrain their technique to make sure they keep a foot on the line before top keepers would creep a step or two forward to help narrow angles.

For a few of them he dived before the player even got to the ball. That's poor keeping especially for a keeper who is so good with reactions. You'd think he'd be able to wait a split second longer than most keepers not go earlier.
His technique is wrong, the coaches don't appear to be working on it.

I mean I get that there's a technique but sometimes you just have to react or you just have to take a guess and hope you get it right.

There is a skill to timing your movement players are so good now if you go early they can change direction so you have to play the waiting game and back your reactions.

De Gea seems to go a bit to early so good players just change sides and earlier in the season when he did save one VAR ordered a retake. That probably broke any confidence he might have had on pens.

There is a skill to timing your movement players are so good now if you go early they can change direction so you have to play the waiting game and back your reactions.

De Gea seems to go a bit to early so good players just change sides and earlier in the season when he did save one VAR ordered a retake. That probably broke any confidence he might have had on pens.
So I do largely agree with you but... Should a GK really lose confidence from penalties? I mean there should be no expectation or pressure on a GK.

So I do largely agree with you but... Should a GK really lose confidence from penalties? I mean there should be no expectation or pressure on a GK.

I think you are expected to save some but not all penalties and De Gea will be aware of his record. He got the blame for Spain going out of the World Cup on pens in 2018 because he didn’t save any of the 4 pens which was ridiculous.

Every time you face one you should be thinking I’m going to save this but he doesn’t give off the confident vibe.

Nerves will come in to it when you’ve got a bad record in a situation.

Same for a player who’s got a bad record of scoring them I think it goes the same way for keepers who have a bad record of saving them.

I think you are expected to save some but not all penalties and De Gea will be aware of his record. He got the blame for Spain going out of the World Cup on pens in 2018 because he didn’t save any of the 4 pens which was ridiculous.
I completely agree with you. A GK shouldn't be expected to save all penalties. In fact the taker should be expected to score every kick (though of course they will occasionally miss). But his record is beyond bad.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

'You deserve to be treated well in your next challenge' - De Gea openly having a dig at the club here?

Certainly reads that way but it’s his second language so may not have been intended to be that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back