David De Gea | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing David De Gea's performances.

Man Utd 1-3 Crystal Palace

made a good save on the penalty but will need to work on his technique as any movement off the line will now be punished by VAR.

Good save from Ayew in normal play as well.

Nervy on the ball wants to much time doesn’t make quick decisions with his feet which can sometimes mean he’s boxed in. Think we need to find a longer ball option to play out sometimes and mix it up a little if the chance is there.

Could have been in trouble with the Zaha one vs one after the header sold him short but luckily it broke his way.

Even though we conceded 3 I don’t think there’s anything you could say he done wrong yesterday and his save from the pen was unlucky.

Even though we conceded 3 I don’t think there’s anything you could say he done wrong yesterday and his save from the pen was unlucky.

Apart from that moment where he passed a Palace player the ball 20 yards from goal.

Was a very nervy start from him I think but he did settle down.

He almost got the Townsend one as well that would have been an amazing reaction save but just couldn’t quite get it round the post.

Caught out of position for the goal last night according to the BBC report

Apart from that moment where he passed a Palace player the ball 20 yards from goal.

Was a very nervy start from him I think but he did settle down.

He almost got the Townsend one as well that would have been an amazing reaction save but just couldn’t quite get it round the post.

Think Dave is being harshly picked out there the midfield has put absolutely no pressure on the ball and the defense has allowed a striker to make a run right through the middle of the pitch so easily.

He's clearly caught in no mans land as a result but the problem starts long before it gets to him he's the last line of defense not the first.

He's constantly hammered for staying on his line that position is exactly where all those top sweeper keepers would be starting he's got no chance of getting to the striker before he takes a touch and he hits it so early he's got no chance.

The keeper should be furious with his defense in that situation how are you letting a guy run through that easily.

Premier League: Newcastle United 1-4 Manchester United - 17th October 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Champions League: PSG 1-2 Manchester United - 20th October 2020

One of his best performances in recent times.

Couldnt agree more, stewpped up his game since Hendo landed. I've knocked him lately but hats off to him, great performance.

Man Utd 1 West Brom 0

Big save with his feet at 0-0 to keep it level.

Seems to be much improved this season maybe the pressure of Henderson being around is working on him.

I see that De Gea was replaced at half time. Due to injury?

Yeah collided with the post trying to stop the ward-prowess free kick.

Looked like a bang to the knee carried on to HT but obviously couldn’t carry on.

Wouldn’t expect it to be serious so shouldn’t be out for long.

Leipzig 3 Man Utd 2

That 3rd goal? What do we think?

While he certainly didn't cause the goal to happen it starts with a sloppy pass by Lindelof, Maguire then leaves a deflected cross but De Gea doesn't really react and makes it easy for the striker who pulls off a clever finish. I do think as a goalkeeper you are there to bail out your team mates and be that solid last line of defence which I just don't think he is anymore.

Henderson played well at the weekend have we now reached the point where we can make a decision and say sorry Dave but Henderson is now getting a run of games?

De Gea has been a great servant for the club but he's nowhere near the level he was at 3 seasons ago is it time to call it a day with him and tell him he's free to leave in the summer?

De Gea has not looked himself for some time. He gives the impression to me like he is the rookie keeper that has stepped in and is petrified.

Every goal now you can kind of pick fault at him, last night as an example, West Ham the previous game. They aren't clangers as such but he just could have done better. He looks unconfident, plays like he is unconfident and the back 4 must be scared stiff playing in front of him. He doesn't command his box at all, has a dire penalty save record and hes best attribute was his shot stopping which he is no long as strong at.

Clear mix up with Maguire last night but a confident keeper would/should have been aware and been bellowing at Maguire to clear it or leave it. Dave is a mouse, he doesn't shout. His distribution is dire and considering we want to play out from the back, we have to ask if he is the right man anyway.

I'm not asking anymore, I'm telling... He's not the right man. It's time for Dave to go. Romero can stay no.2. If he doesn't get dropped this will not be the last time, or the second last time or even third last time we discuss DDG mistakes for the rest of this season. There will lots more to come.

Can we organise a package deal for the show pony and DDG? Send both of them off together somewhere?

Reactions: RVN
Not sure you can slag him off vs West Ham he didn't even play.

I think you need to show some respect to De Gea he's been a good servant to the club but for whatever reason his form has dipped and it won't come back, we've given him time to sort it out and I think this season he's been alright but the 2 years before were awful. Could be that his reaction speed is gone whatever it is he's never going back to being super dave where he was saving our bacon every week for 5 years.

He's the highest paid keeper in the world and he earned that contract problem now is no one else will pay him that. So if we do decide it's time for him to move on chances are we'll be paying off a big chunk of whatever is left on that contract as his next club won't be paying him anywhere near what he earns now.

sorry I meant Southampton, not WHU

Why do I need to pay him respect? I've never heard such sh**e!

Fergie never showed Beckham, Ruud, Keane and many others respect when it was time to go. Thanks for everything you have done but your time is done. 'Big Dave' has been dire for 2 seasons previous and cost us goals and points and we have a ready made replacement now. He's had more chances than any keeper else would get. Time to go.

Reactions: RVN
Yeah not to sure about criticising him on the free kicks.

It never looks good as a keeper if you get to the ball but don't manage to keep it out but I think both were quality strikes that he did well to even get to. Think the one in the Istanbul game and the one vs Southampton most keepers don't even bother diving for.

I think overall he's been good this season but it's hard to see him still being our keeper in the longer term.

I still think most of the time he is one of the best shot stoppers around. However he rarely comes off his line, isn't great with his feet, and to say he isn't the bravest is cutting him some slack.

No denying his shot stopping ability is still right up there with the very best. However, little mistakes have crept into his game and the goalkeeping for the Kluivert goal was woeful, while it wasn’t entirely his fault you’ve got to be brave and he wasn’t.

He has been an incredible servant but sometimes you’ve just got to move on and pass on the baton - this could be that time to give Henderson a proper go. There still needs to be respect there because for a few years he was incredible and bailed us out so many times but he looks a shadow of his former self.

Reminds me a bit of Casillas at Madrid it's a slow decline but there comes a point where you just have to make the decision and commit to a change.

Hard to see where he goes if he does leave would likely have to take a step down in level/salary to find a new club which for a guy still in his prime would be tough to accept.

There was a game only in the last 3 or 4 weeks that he parried a shot from his right out straight into the path of a player 10 yards out to his left who slotted home the goal, I've been trying to think who it was against. I watched all the replays and a decent keeper would have been aware of the player and parried it elsewhere but Dave awareness just isn't there anymore.

He should be making more effort for the near post header against Southampton, he just stood like a lemon, again not aware. The Neymar goal at OT he should have been a lot more aggressive coming out rather than standing there like a fairy on top of a christmas tree with his legs to the side. I could list loads of these kind of errors.

I guess at least he's not doing the kind of stuff he's been doing the last 2 seasons. Yet.

Reminds me a bit of Casillas at Madrid it's a slow decline but there comes a point where you just have to make the decision and commit to a change.

Hard to see where he goes if he does leave would likely have to take a step down in level/salary to find a new club which for a guy still in his prime would be tough to accept.
It's like a lot of players when they stop playing so well, a change usually does them good. De Gea is literally like a bit of old furniture at OT. Time to move on and refresh himself. I think the same applies to Pogba.

It's like a lot of players when they stop playing so well, a change usually does them good. De Gea is literally like a bit of old furniture at OT. Time to move on and refresh himself. I think the same applies to Pogba.

Yeah I think there's a lot of "stale" players at Utd quite a few who have just been ground down by the relentless pressure and lack of progress being made at the club and they are a part of that so not giving them a free pass.

If I was Ole I'd be thinking why aren't there more players who want to leave? Top players don't hang around at failing clubs very often I do wonder if some of them are a bit on easy street the lack of demands on them there seems to be no punishment for failure at Utd. At least with Pogba you know where you stand he's sick of the club and wants out.

There's a whole host of players knocking around the club who I think have long out stayed their use to the first team but they're trapped in this limbo of high wages and prestige that comes with Utd that they don't want to give up so there's no real incentive to leave.

De Gea probably missed his shot at being part of a great side when that Madrid deal collapsed in 2015 and Utd have never really got back on track despite his best efforts so maybe change would be good but where does he realistically go? He's still got 2.5 years left on his current Utd deal his wages are reported to be around £350k no club is going to pay that for him he'd do well to even get half that so unless Utd basically use the transfer fee to write off his wages it's hard to see him leaving.

If you want to work that out, then sit down very quickly..... it works out to just under £40m in wages!! WTF. No wonder the guy is complacent.

We can safely say De Gea is going nowhere soon.

Another decision from the very top of Ronald MacDonald towers

If you want to work that out, then sit down very quickly..... it works out to just under £40m in wages!! WTF. No wonder the guy is complacent.

We can safely say De Gea is going nowhere soon.

Another decision from the very top of Ronald MacDonald towers

Some of the wages being paid in football are mad now Ronaldo/Neymar apparently take home 30m a year that is after tax Messi's currently deal is even higher than that. De Gea apparently takes home around £20m after tax.

There's 2 years on the deal at the end of the season if Utd let him go it'll be like Sanchez we'll get a fee that basically pays off a chunk of his contract so we might get a club to pay £15m for him but that money will go straight to De Gea like it did with Sanchez.

De Gea played his cards well but the club are to blame rather than give him small little top ups on his contract they waited until it was down to 12 months and De Gea like everyone at that time was saying if Sanchez is top earner on £500k a week then you need to offer me something that is comparable to that.

This happens all the time at the moment players contracts are not being ran down then renewed at the last moment in a panic under the threat of bosman and club needs to start getting clever and defending against that.

You said he gets around £350k per week. That x 52 is £18,200,000 so he can't be taking home £20m after tax. More like £10m after tax which quite frankly is chump change. I have that in my parking change pot in the car.

You said he gets around £350k per week. That x 52 is £18,200,000 so he can't be taking home £20m after tax. More like £10m after tax which quite frankly is chump change. I have that in my parking change pot in the car.

You original post said he was on 40m a season.

Forgot to adjust my figure so yeah after tax he probably pockets just over 10m.

Still the highest paid keeper in world football and the highest paid Spanish player.

It sure is the top wages really have crept up in the last decade it's currently crippling the two big boys in Spain and Juventus because you get a signing wrong now and the chances of getting that player out the door are slim to none.

I don't think we've really had it in the PL we obviously had Sanchez at Utd but the money Ronaldo, Bale, Messi, Neymar etc have been earning over the last 5 years is crazy.

It's a short career so make the most of it while it's on offer as we've seen with De Gea things can change quickly for you.

With a banker who dishes the contract you'd have thought Ronald Woodward McDonald would have more sense than to shaft us both in terms of wages per week and also longer term if we need to get rid of that player. Nobody is worth keeping for that kind of money. We all know DDG had a slice of luck with his contract coming to an end after Sanchez had joined on silly, silly money. His agent must have skipped all the way to Woodwards office.

I can't see how we are gonna get rid of DDG and the possibility of losing Henderson at the end of this season will be heightend if he doesn't get his chance as he wont want to sit on the bench watching DDG make silly little mistakes and still getting the nod the week after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back