Previous Seasons
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2017/18
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace - 24th August 2019

Poor for Palace’s second goal.

Do we need to talk about Dave?

Got this huge contract on offer which as far as we know is yet to be signed and today is another mistake that’s cost us points.

He’s got plenty of good will in the bank but this is 6 months now his confidence seems to have totally gone.

The fact he's not signed his new deal is telling to me. I think he's biding his time to see what's going to happen elsewhere. Maybe Juve want him next year? Maybe Real want him?

Who knows I think it’s been signed club just waiting to be made official no one is really reporting it as being on going.

And we make him captain. I never like a goalkeeper to br captain anyway but he is the quietest goalie of all time, in no form, and is stalling on a contract. For me a terrible decision

Why would they wait to sign?

Waiting to announce it I meant.

Keep it up your sleeve for when you need to bury some bad news or double down on good news.

Sounds like the sort of thing we announce after the window is shut could be delayed due to bonuses/payments in existing contracts that are coming due for payment.

Deals announced. 4 year deal. Official on the clubs social media.

Made a decent save from Maddison at the weekend.

2 clean sheets from 3 home games this season the same number he managed in all of last season.

With the new deal sorted do you think they'll make him club captain? Probably unlikely as Young already has the job probably best to just leave it and review it in the summer when it'll probably be given to Maguire.

Didn’t see the game at the weekend but delighted he’s staying and that uncertainty is gone. Hopefully with the back 5 we’ve got in they can get settled and be a strong foundation for 4/5 years.

De Gea

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Certainly as potential to be strong. Now we can focus further up the pitch and sort the midfield out.

He’s got a cringe signing video

I think we need to find better than Lindelöf and Shaw if we really want to go for the title not really convinced by either but I think they're problems that may need to be solved in 2 summers time not this summer where Ole has to sort the midfield and attack.

Delighted he is staying. If anything just to put to bed this constant speculation over his future.

Like mentioned above we really have an opportunity to nail down a back five. And I think we are 3/5ths there with the jury still out on Lindelof and Shaw. I do wonder if eventually we will see Tuanzebe and Williams become the final cogs in that defence.

I don't see any problem with Lindelof, Shaw is ok, but maybe he could be improved upon. I think there are more important areas to look at to be honest.

As for De Gea, I hope he gets back to the form of a few years ago.

Yeah defence is fine for now focus next summer has to be on midfield and attack but I think to get a title we may need to improve some of the existing defence.

Good news Started tonight vs Spain made a few good saves.

Bad news he’s gone off injured looks like his groin going to be out for a few weeks.

I don't think we'll miss him that much, he's not like he was 3 seasons ago.

He was excellent last night. Looking back to himself.

He's been better this season than he was towards the end of last season where his form did take a noticeable slump.

To be honest goalkeeper is probably the one position on the pitch where our backup is not massively worse than the first choice.

I mean it's worth remembering De Gea has been POTY for 4 of the last 6 seasons this idea that he's suddenly become a terrible keeper is harsh he's just had a dodgy spell.

Premier League: Sheffield United 3-3 Manchester United - 24th November 2019

He was like his old self.

Looked much more prepared to come off his line too.

He now knows he’s the number 2 for Spain behind Kepa you wonder if that’s given him some extra motivation to get back to his best

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Everton - 15th December 2019

Weak for Everton’s goal.

His lack of ability to command the penalty area is the reason Schmeichel has the edge in the better goalkeeper debate, for me.

Weak or not it’s a blatant foul. His biggest mistake is not hitting the deck. Doesn’t matter where it is on the pitch you can’t go arm first in to a players face and miss the ball.

VAR cocked up big time. Was so blatant but they commented it was normal contact? So if someone in the middle of the pitch thrusts their arm and hits someone in the face it’s fine? VAR needs to sharpen up because at times it’s a joke.

Weak or not it’s a blatant foul. His biggest mistake is not hitting the deck. Doesn’t matter where it is on the pitch you can’t go arm first in to a players face and miss the ball.

He should have been screaming at the ref straight away not just standing there looking glum I think if he kicks off the VAR gives the foul.

His lack of dominance is a problem though puts a lot of pressure on the defenders.

Premier League: Watford 2-0 Manchester United - 22nd December 2019

Lucky not to concede from another set piece and awful for Watford's first goal.

Not been a good run for him he’s not been at his very best for a while now

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 28th December 2019

Best game for a few weeks didn’t let the bully boy tactics bother him despite lots of ball coming into his box dealt with what he needed to and made a good save from bardsley.

Premier League: Everton 1-1 Manchester United - 1st March 2020

Awful error but vital save at the end.

Yeah absolute howler at the start far to casual and was punished but recovered well made a couple of good saves after and dealt with them peppering the box felt like they had about 50 corners/free kicks yesterday.

Still probably cost us the chance at 3 points yesterday very hard to come back from 1-0 down and get a win at a place like Everton.

His head still seems "gone" despite the new contract. His all around game hasn't been as good as in the past and he's making too many howlers the last 18 months. Worrying especially as we have a great keeper in Henderson who will want serious game time soon vs another loan...

His head still seems "gone" despite the new contract. His all around game hasn't been as good as in the past and he's making too many howlers the last 18 months. Worrying especially as we have a great keeper in Henderson who will want serious game time soon vs another loan...

I think his kicking is about the same as it's always been it was never amazing and it still isn't but Ederson has really raised the bar in terms of what a keeper is expected to do with his feet. I think Sunday was just complacency he's being asked to play more from that ground than he was under Mourinho and he clearly took to long to make his decision and paid the price the issue he has is he can't really go long because he has no one to hit. I felt early in the game we didn't quite have our plan in place for who was coming deep to get the ball from him and Everton were right on the front foot.

Where the confidence has been knocked is his shot stopping especially longer range stuff seems to be giving him problem close range stuff seems to be good and I think he has lost confidence on crosses. He had a tough time early doors with the crosses into the box but he really seems to put that behind him but in the last 12 months he's been getting in trouble again I think some of that is due to change in tactics when defending the cross and the team being less dominant in the air they need him to do more.

I do think we might see Henderson come back next season assuming we have European football and we might see him play that Romero role and if he does well he could force De Gea out of the number 1 spot. I don't think Henderson would be unhappy being on loan at Sheff Utd again next season he seems to like it there and the fans there love him.

I think his kicking is about the same as it's always been it was never amazing and it still isn't but Ederson has really raised the bar in terms of what a keeper is expected to do with his feet. I think Sunday was just complacency he's being asked to play more from that ground than he was under Mourinho and he clearly took to long to make his decision and paid the price the issue he has is he can't really go long because he has no one to hit. I felt early in the game we didn't quite have our plan in place for who was coming deep to get the ball from him and Everton were right on the front foot.

Where the confidence has been knocked is his shot stopping especially longer range stuff seems to be giving him problem close range stuff seems to be good and I think he has lost confidence on crosses. He had a tough time early doors with the crosses into the box but he really seems to put that behind him but in the last 12 months he's been getting in trouble again I think some of that is due to change in tactics when defending the cross and the team being less dominant in the air they need him to do more.

I do think we might see Henderson come back next season assuming we have European football and we might see him play that Romero role and if he does well he could force De Gea out of the number 1 spot. I don't think Henderson would be unhappy being on loan at Sheff Utd again next season he seems to like it there and the fans there love him.
Yep, I was a strong supporter of his for a few seasons when we were a shit show and he was making great one on one saves and had seemingly overcome his weakness at crosses and became more capable of commanding his box, but he seems to have regressed in these areas.

It makes me wonder if he has less opportunity to be the saviour with the one on ones as we have improved defensively but I cannot explain his sudden return to being weak in the box at crosses. Couple this with the fact that his distribution has never been great it may be Ole shall need to show the same ruthlessness as Pepe did with Joe Hart.

Yep, I was a strong supporter of his for a few seasons when we were a shit show and he was making great one on one saves and had seemingly overcome his weakness at crosses and became more capable of commanding his box, but he seems to have regressed in these areas.

It makes me wonder if he has less opportunity to be the saviour with the one on ones as we have improved defensively but I cannot explain his sudden return to being weak in the box at crosses. Couple this with the fact that his distribution has never been great it may be Ole shall need to show the same ruthlessness as Pepe did with Joe Hart.

I think the thing is at his best he’d out perform the shot stopping stats basically he would make saves other keepers would not make on a very regular basis and the stats backed that up. Certainly the season we finished second under Mourinho I remember his expected saves stat (yes that’s a thing) being off the charts it’s fallen off big time. He’s now not saving shots you would expect him to save which is a worry.

We’ve given him a huge contract so unless he decides to go he isn’t going anywhere but I do wonder if they might bring Henderson back in next season and play them almost against each other. Henderson gets Europe and cup and if he performs better than De Gea he goes in as the number 1. Basically say the number 1 spot is up for grabs winner takes all put the pressure on De Gea see how he reacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back