David De Gea | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you keep him unless he wants to go.

If he still wants to go we have a replacement so I wouldn't worry so much.

Man Utd vs Bournemouth

Thought he was very poor on the first goal don’t know if it’s a trick of the mind but players seem to be targeting his near post. He seems to have a technique that makes him smaller when he spreads himself in those situations doesn’t get his arms out at all to make it harder he keeps them tucked in.

19 pens in a row scored past him in a Utd shirt which for a keeper with his skill set just seems crazy but he never seems to get near them.

I do wonder about the quality of coaching he’s getting as he seems to be getting worse at even the basic parts of his game.

There have always been aspects of his game that I think gave been weak but they seemed to be cancelled out by his shot stopping. Unfortunately that is no longer happening. What is more unfortunate is Henderson seems a similar type of keeper, good shot stopper but doesn't command his area and is prone to a howler. At least he has age on his side.

I've been a massive De Gea fan over the years, but his performances this year have been less than assuring. Which is strange when you look at the fact we actually have the 3rd best defence in the league, but there seems to be some very dubious decision making.

Hey guys, it's been a while.... hope you are all doing well.

De Gea is making me nervous every time the ball goes near him! I'm sick to death of him playing the short pass and putting the cb's under pressure constantly. Everyone is saying that the mistake for Southampton first goal was Pogba's fault but surely De Gea saw Ings charging down on Pogba as he was about to play that pass to him. Yeh again De Gea putting a player in trouble.
He's getting us penned in every game, forcing mistakes out of Maguire, Lindelof and AWB constantly. Why doesn't he just kick the bloody ball up the pitch?

I think it's a tactical instruction from the manager it's not by choice we don't really know if Pogba got the call I think he was just to casual and got caught. The idea of what they're doing is to play through the press and it's kind of how we got our goals because if you do work your way through the press then you get a lot of joy.

You have to take the ball under pressure and not turn unless you know 100% the coast is clear and Pogba has had these issues in nearly every game getting caught being a bit to casual.

Hey guys, it's been a while.... hope you are all doing well.

De Gea is making me nervous every time the ball goes near him! I'm sick to death of him playing the short pass and putting the cb's under pressure constantly. Everyone is saying that the mistake for Southampton first goal was Pogba's fault but surely De Gea saw Ings charging down on Pogba as he was about to play that pass to him. Yeh again De Gea putting a player in trouble.
He's getting us penned in every game, forcing mistakes out of Maguire, Lindelof and AWB constantly. Why doesn't he just kick the bloody ball up the pitch?
Good to have you back!

I guess we are trying to work out from the back more instead of just lumping it upfield but you do have to pick your moments when you try and play out. Like jsp said though, this was all Pogba, when you receive passes against Southampton they are going to be all over you like a rash especially early on so you need to be aware. However he was just so casual about it - not sure you can apportion any blame onto De Gea here.

Sooner or later De Gea is going to cost us a goal with this short passing to players not in good enough positions to take a pass

It's a risky system but we've done it all season if teams mark the defenders the ball has to go into the midfield player he shouldn't be turning he should be sending the ball out to the full backs. That goal was on no one but Pogba he wasn't switched on he played himself into danger and the team couldn't recover.

I'm sure DDG will get it wrong at some point all keepers do Ederson has given away at least 2 goals this season with terrible distribution if you play out from the back all the time you take the risk if you get it wrong you pay a heavy price.

I’m sure De Gea would love to pump the ball up field to an Andy Carroll style player. It gets the ball further away from his goal. However it’ll be tactical instructions to not play that way. We obviously know that because it’s never been De Gea’s style to continuously play it short.

I’m sure De Gea would love to pump the ball up field to an Andy Carroll style player. It gets the ball further away from his goal. However it’ll be tactical instructions to not play that way. We obviously know that because it’s never been De Gea’s style to continuously play it short.

And he spent two years playing it long to Lukaku/Fellaini under Jose.

Do think we need to be a bit more flexible and go direct sometimes to play over the press.

Exactly, this is my whole point. De Gea's decision making these days is pretty awful. He clearly needs to hoof when we are penned in but he chooses to go short. He passes to players clearly under pressure when he doesn't need to. A ball booted 60 yards down the pitch for a 50/50 header is a better option than Maguire when he is last man and has 3 players bearing down on him.

DAVID DE GEA'S former mentor Emilio Alvarez has slammed the Manchester United ace for "lacking loyalty" in an astonishing attack

He says he asked to leave united as he could no longer work with De Gea. Seems a bit far fetched, he got upset because De Gea didn't tell him he had signed a new deal!

Another ex GK coach, Steele, thinks De Gea needs competition and we should bring Henderson back.

Exactly, this is my whole point. De Gea's decision making these days is pretty awful. He clearly needs to hoof when we are penned in but he chooses to go short. He passes to players clearly under pressure when he doesn't need to. A ball booted 60 yards down the pitch for a 50/50 header is a better option than Maguire when he is last man and has 3 players bearing down on him.

Not always because if you trust Maguire or Pogba to do what they are supposed to do then you can take 3 or 4 players out of the game with two or three passes which opens up the whole pitch for your attackers.

Boot it up the pitch and it's not a 50/50 no way does any team win anywhere near 50% of possession when they play long as the defender out number you even, the best sides like a Pulis era Stoke team probably only win possession from 1 in 4 long balls. You are totally relying on winning a second ball so unless you're whole team pushes right up to half way on a goal kick you've got little to no chance and the guy getting the second ball with have no space.

That first goal last night was all about Pogba being dozy and not switched on he turned blind thinking he had all the time in the world it had nothing to do with decision making and when Utd did get penned in by a press they did send the odd ball long.

Yeah that goal was Pogba's mistake for sure, not sure De Gea did anything wrong since it seems we are trying to paly from the bacl. He should've had better awareness and just passed back to De Gea insteaad of turning straight into trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back