David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace - 24th August 2019

Poor for Palace’s second goal.

jsp

Do we need to talk about Dave?

Got this huge contract on offer which as far as we know is yet to be signed and today is another mistake that’s cost us points.

He’s got plenty of good will in the bank but this is 6 months now his confidence seems to have totally gone.

RichH2016

The fact he's not signed his new deal is telling to me. I think he's biding his time to see what's going to happen elsewhere. Maybe Juve want him next year? Maybe Real want him?

jsp

Who knows I think it’s been signed club just waiting to be made official no one is really reporting it as being on going.

boothstownred

And we make him captain. I never like a goalkeeper to br captain anyway but he is the quietest goalie of all time, in no form, and is stalling on a contract. For me a terrible decision

jsp

Why would they wait to sign?
Waiting to announce it I meant.

Keep it up your sleeve for when you need to bury some bad news or double down on good news.

Sounds like the sort of thing we announce after the window is shut could be delayed due to bonuses/payments in existing contracts that are coming due for payment.

IDFD

Deals announced. 4 year deal. Official on the clubs social media.

jsp

Made a decent save from Maddison at the weekend.

2 clean sheets from 3 home games this season the same number he managed in all of last season.

With the new deal sorted do you think they'll make him club captain? Probably unlikely as Young already has the job probably best to just leave it and review it in the summer when it'll probably be given to Maguire.

IDFD

Didn’t see the game at the weekend but delighted he’s staying and that uncertainty is gone. Hopefully with the back 5 we’ve got in they can get settled and be a strong foundation for 4/5 years.

De Gea

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Certainly as potential to be strong. Now we can focus further up the pitch and sort the midfield out.

He’s got a cringe signing video

jsp

I think we need to find better than Lindelöf and Shaw if we really want to go for the title not really convinced by either but I think they're problems that may need to be solved in 2 summers time not this summer where Ole has to sort the midfield and attack.

SuperRash

Delighted he is staying. If anything just to put to bed this constant speculation over his future.

Like mentioned above we really have an opportunity to nail down a back five. And I think we are 3/5ths there with the jury still out on Lindelof and Shaw. I do wonder if eventually we will see Tuanzebe and Williams become the final cogs in that defence.

Mr C

I don't see any problem with Lindelof, Shaw is ok, but maybe he could be improved upon. I think there are more important areas to look at to be honest.

As for De Gea, I hope he gets back to the form of a few years ago.

jsp

Yeah defence is fine for now focus next summer has to be on midfield and attack but I think to get a title we may need to improve some of the existing defence.

jsp

Good news Started tonight vs Spain made a few good saves.

Bad news he’s gone off injured looks like his groin going to be out for a few weeks.

jsp

He's been better this season than he was towards the end of last season where his form did take a noticeable slump.

To be honest goalkeeper is probably the one position on the pitch where our backup is not massively worse than the first choice.

I mean it's worth remembering De Gea has been POTY for 4 of the last 6 seasons this idea that he's suddenly become a terrible keeper is harsh he's just had a dodgy spell.