Daniel James | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scored a beauty for Wales tonight.

Bet that was a huge relief for him after a tough spell of form.

One goal isn’t going to change the fact he needs improving in a lot of areas but maybe because of our lack of wingers there was too much pressure on him.

Premier League: Manchester United v Leeds United - 20th December 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He was great today you can see why Leeds would want him in these frantic back and forth matches with loads of space he can be devastating.

Bet he was absolutely buzzing today just a shame the fans weren’t in there today to show him some love as he’s had a rough time after that initial burst.

C
I think his booking was harsh
Very. I guess he got himself a little bit of reputation early on in his first season but it wasn’t a dive. The arm was clearly across him which caused him to go off balanced. Would have been a soft penalty (or free kick, can’t remember if it was just outside) but it definitely wasn’t a dive.

Basically got clothes lined running at full pelt it was clearly a foul by a defender that knew he'd lost the race how the ref could see that as a yellow is beyond me.

Assuming VAR never looked at it as was probably out of the box.

Though was actually disappointing that he didn't once look for the pass inside in that move. The easy goal was on if he didn't try to go alone.

Premier League: Leicester City 2-2 Manchester United - 26th December 2020

Poor decision to start him.

Hopefully Diallo or/and Pellestri takes his spot in the squad for next season.

The two on one breakaway is such poor decision making from James. Defender should never have had the chance

He was good vs Leeds but not sure why he’s started him today just doesn't create enough.

I do think it’s time to move this lad on.

He did well to get the ball over to Cavani that was fed to Bruno. James needs work but he's still young and should be given time. Maybe he needs a loan. I don't think he's good enough to be starting, however until we get a proper right-sided wing, we don't have a lot of options.

He did well to get the ball over to Cavani that was fed to Bruno. James needs work but he's still young and should be given time. Maybe he needs a loan. I don't think he's good enough to be starting, however until we get a proper right-sided wing, we don't have a lot of options.

He’s 23 looks miles from being a top player so realistically how much will he improve at a club where he isn’t playing regularly?

I think he does okay at times but there are many areas of his game that needs work. In an open game he can be very good but in tight games he doesn’t have the game to be effective in an attacking sense. He needs to improve his general play and a loan would probably do him good - however not sure a loan will mean he’ll come back a world beater.

The two on one breakaway is such poor decision making from James. Defender should never have had the chance
He's always been guilty of this in the last third of the pitch. Cannot understand why Greenwood/VDB did not start instead.

James was well off the pitch by the time Cavani came on.

Assume you mean the first one where he misplaced the pass to Bruno.

James was well off the pitch by the time Cavani came on.

Assume you mean the first one where he misplaced the pass to Bruno.
Could be, it was on at 4:30 AM here. James did nip in to get to a ball and played it to Bruno who got a touch on it, not Cavani.

Bailly passed the ball to Cavani for Fernandes’ goal. James passed the ball to Fernandes for Rashford’s goal.

FA Cup Man Utd 1-0 Watford - sat 9th Jan

Bright start but faded.

I think the Dan James project might be coming to an end soon needs to go out on loan next season and kick on as his career is stalling here.

His problem is he cant actually run with the ball, he needs to lump it and chase. You would think he could score goals on the counter similar to Rashford's. getting in behind the defence and on the end of a slick pass but he lacks the technical ability for that.
His threat is just too easy to neutralise. We cannot afford to waste time with James, he is not and never will be good enough for a team who's aspirations is to be consistent challengers/winners of the PL and CL.

Real Sociedad 0-4 Man Utd

played well game was perfect for him loads of space in behind.

Scored 1 and was unlucky to have another ruled out by a tight offside.

Think he will play an important role in the Europa league.

Jenas gave motm to Shaw
Scholes gave it to Rashford

I think James deserved a mention. Did everything well today and if he could find some consistent form a few games with him down the right could allow Greenwood some minutes in the middle.

Looking at Dublin's analysis it's hard to look beyond Matic for motm

James is doing well, does anyone else get the impression he's a bit of an outsider?

Credit to Dan James he's been given an opportunity the last few matches and is taking it with both hands. Good to see, and I'll be honest I'd written him off and felt he should have been sold in January - fair play to the lad

Took his goal well but I have to admit wasn't that impressed by him in the game.

Happy for him to grab some goals took his chance well but I struggle to see him getting much of a look in going forward so still think his future probably lies away from the club.

Think he was our best attacking player today. Was in the side ahead of Martial on merit today. Though says more about Martial than James possibly. Recent form could have him above Greenwood in the pecking order. Be interesting to see if he can maintain a place when Cavani is back.

I agree with Neville in the game he's a useful player to have in the squad as a 5th or 6th option.

Yep solid performance worked his nuts off down that wing and had to because of the system Chelsea played but also used the ball well won free kicks, drove forward to break through the press and put in a few nice balls.

Still not convinced his future is with us but he's in a nice run of form right now and as you said he was in the side on merit yesterday and he can be a useful player in these high pressing end to end games.

That said you wouldn't want him starting away to Palace mid week but you'd probably have him in for City at the weekend.

I didn't see it, so only heard on the radio, it gave the impression he doesn't know what to do with the ball, he gets it, moves forward, misplaces his pass.

I think he's a pretty limited player and always will be so we've got to consider is he worth keeping for the 10-15 games where he might be required or should we have starters who are good enough for all occassions.

It's something he should be capable of adding to his game, practise crossing after hours.

I just don't think he's quite good enough at the very top level.

His close control isn't quite good enough, he doesn't see the pass quick enough, he doesn't pull the trigger quick enough, he can't beat a man from a standing start, his movement isn't quite clever enough.

All these things where he's good but not great just mean in tight games he's a bit limited but where he was excellant yesterday was in pressing the opponent he worked his nuts off and was a nuisance when we didn't have the ball.

His close control isn't quite good enough, he doesn't see the pass quick enough, he doesn't pull the trigger quick enough, he can't beat a man from a standing start, his movement isn't quite clever enough.
Other than that, he's ok :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back