Daniel James | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Daniel James' performances.

Premier League 2020/21: Manchester United 1-3 Crystal Palace - 19th September 2020

Another poor performance on the right wing?

I don't even understand why Ole started him? Got to have been a message to the board?

Very much so. I like dan but he really isn't up to the premier league, at least at the moment.

Yep only got 45 minutes was totally ineffective I do wonder if he had stayed on was the move at 1-0 to put him to right back rather than sub him?

Don’t think he’s got it as this level sadly has he had a good game in 12 months?

That sort of opponent is not the game for James no space means no hope with James he can’t play in tight spaces. Was him starting a message to the board?

Carabao Cup: Brighton & Hove Albion 0-3 Manchester United - 30th September 2020

Sorry Daniel it's time to move on, to a Championship club. Totally, completely ineffective everytime he plays. I'm sure even I could do more on the pitch than he does.

I think we are mostly in agreement. Wasn't a bad signing for the money we spent but it doesn't look like it will work. I would still be in favour of a loan period just to see if he cuts it with another team in the premier league but I suspect not.

It is being rumoured Leeds are willing to give us our money back

Utd has broken bigger better players than him so there is time to bounce back.

Yep defo an option to go on load but i think we all know he wont come back and do the business. He was never meant to be the first choice as he was for so many games at the start of last season, maybe it was unfortunate for him he got thrown in the deep end.

It is being rumoured Leeds are willing to give us our money back

I'd take it and put it towards a new player. Stupid thing is if we got rid of ALL the deadwood that doesn't play and are sat on their arses every week we could probably raise close to £100m to buy Sancho, and think of the wage savings!

James £15m, Smalling £15m, Jones £10, Rojo £5m, Lingard £20m, Perreira £20m, Romero £8m, Dalot £15m =£108m - Ha would you believe that just worked out to the £108m Dortmund want haha, that was pure accidental to get that!.

Would we miss any of these if they went?

No we wouldn't but that us our estimates of those players not what others would actually give.

I think if we could get our money back we'd be mad not to take it but if that isn't going to happen the lad needs to go on loan somewhere try and get his form back. He'd had a rough first season so not sure we should give up all hope but feels like he needs a fresh start somewhere else.

I think if we can get him out on loan then it’ll be good for him and for us. We can see if he does have something a little extra than what he is showing.

If defences just stay deep against him then he’s got nothing left to hurt them with. I don’t think he played terrible last night but again pretty ineffective.

Think the problem is even when he's not hurting the opponent and giving some cutting edge he plays sloppy passes and gives the ball away cheaply. It's not like he's even trying difficult passes a lot of the time he's getting basic stuff wrong.

Can see why Leeds would want him he's got the energy levels to play the style they have relentless pressing and break neck football Utd's style isn't really like that.

He doesn't seem to really do anything off the ball either, at least the likes of Lingard does contribute off teh ball even if he doesn't so much on the ball. Sloppy passing, bad decisions especially when to shoot, lack of a footballing brain and it doesn't look great for him at a top level. You dont even see him beat a man with his pace as he just gets knocked over so much. Shame cos he sounds like he is a nice kid and a lot has happened to him over the last 18 months. Maybe a loan for a season would be beneficial but is hard cash was offered I think we'd be mad not to take it.

Tend to agree think maybe bit like Zaha move just came a bit to soon for him you wonder if Utd should have sent him straight on loan last season after signing him but squad was short so we needed him.

Think we kept playing him when he was out of form and confidence just looks drained from him now.

We played him straight for 30 games or so I think and ran him into the ground, in a poor team at the time with Perreira and Lingard running midfield. Probably blew his confidence to bits taking the step up in a side that was not at the races

I think we should be loaning James out, if we can find a team where he can continually practice and steadily improve his end product.

This was one of the main things that let him down, and it was obvious that it had knocked to confidence out of him by the end.

It became a case of lots of effort with little reward, because I can't remember at any time, him not putting enough effort in.

Improvement however is needed, if is going to be considered a useful asset to the squad.

He still has time on his side.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea - 24th October 2020

Sad to say but he’s no where near the level required.

He certainly is far from a good enough footballer for what we need. I wanted him to be given chance on the left, the position he started for us and done well scoring a couple into the bargain. He has had that chance now, I doubt we will see him start another PL or CL game this season. Shame, as if Ole lets him go (rather than keep him as a squad, LC type player) I suspect his career will go into total freefall.

At this point I would rather see Pellestri or Elanga get his minutes. He just doesn’t really bring anything to the table, yes he has pace but a lack of technical ability renders him useless if there is no space to run into.

It was a cheapish gamble to bring Dan James in that seems to have failed. I am not against that, Pellestri and Traore will also be gambles. If one of those turns out to be a quality signing then they have all been worth it. Certainly Dan James will come close to paying for himself. I would probably send him out on loan in January as his last chance to show he can bring some intelligence to his game.

I think he will go on loan in January.

Just hasn’t really kicked on not sure they’ll give up on him totally but it doesn’t look great for him.

He gets the ball and doesn’t seem to know what to do he can move quickly but he can’t think quickly to use that to his advantage he’s very predictable and his touch is loose so he’s easy to dispossess.

If they sold him they’d probably get their money back and at another club he might excel.

Yeah pretty much agree with this. I would give him another chance after a loan period and then move him in if he hasn't improved

James is so poor and just out of his depth at Utd. Why is Ole putting him on the pitch instead of a £40m midfielder who is light years better then James? What is going on?

I guess they aren't a like replacement for each other. Ole seems to prefer 3 up top but doesn't really have a proper flank player. It's perplexing

James is so poor and just out of his depth at Utd. Why is Ole putting him on the pitch instead of a £40m midfielder who is light years better then James? What is going on?

Because one is a winger and the other is a centre mid.

We all said in the summer Utd are short of wingers.

With Rashford playing in the centre, Greenwood just back from injury, Lingard injured this is why James started because he fits in the system.

He actually played alright vs Newcastle and probably got the nod to try and keep tabs on Reece James who’s a big attacking outlet for Chelsea.

Dan James isn’t good enough we all know that but picking him wasn’t a crazy idea I’m sure even Ole is losing patience but until the squad has the wingers he needs he’s going to have to play him.

VDB would be infinitely better to play out on that left of the 3 than James even though James is the supposed winger (who cant beat a man, cross, shoot, have a footballing brain or have any final product whatsoever) and VDB is a midfielder. I'd 110% have put VDB there instead of James.

VDB would be infinitely better to play out on that left of the 3 than James even though James is the supposed winger (who cant beat a man, cross, shoot, have a footballing brain or have any final product whatsoever) and VDB is a midfielder. I'd 110% have put VDB there instead of James.

He’s started Mata and Bruno in his 3 playing VDB as well makes us even more narrow against a 3-4-3 it was always going to be tough for our full backs to get forward. Sometimes you just need a round peg for a round hole.

James has a bad game so I get people will single him out but I find it more worrying that Mata has jumped ahead of VDB than James.

James at least offers the potential for something different but we all know he’s limited.

James is just quick.

At what point do we admit we aren't going to get much more out him right now?

He needs a loan where he can grow in confidence and learn.

He is a risk of just becoming yet another player just lost in our system.

It seems Ole has said he is going to be patient with him and keep working on him
Hopefully not in the prem :(

Look we all know James will not be a top Premiership player, you can just see it. Let the lad go and play somewhere else where it fits his level as it must be demoralising for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back