Daniel James | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watched the game. Didn’t think he should have been allowed to play on. Was obviously knocked out cold for a few seconds

Watched the game. Didn’t think he should have been allowed to play on. Was obviously knocked out cold for a few seconds

I saw a replay of the incident I guess you have to put faith in the doctors as their are clear protocols on these sort of things now if you are knocked out you are subbed off it's not yours or the managers decision so he must have been awake when they came on to the pitch.

He did an interview after the game so might have just been one of those looks a lot worse than it actually was he certainly looked like he was out cold when he hit the deck but these things can develop after the event.

I guess technically it makes him a doubt for the Liverpool game because if it turns out he did suffer a concussion then he's ruled out for 7 days from memory?

Man Utd vs Liverpool

Bloody fearless this lad took some big hits from some big lads yesterday and kept coming for more.

So dangerous when there's space to run into on the pitch as well and the final product is very good for someone so young.

If he can keep improving he's going to turn out to be some player.

got to be signing of the seaon in the prem, not just united.

got to be signing of the seaon in the prem, not just united.

Maybe Tielemens at Leicester but can't think of to many new signings who've had big impacts at the teams near the top of the league.

Even Tielemens was converting a loan move to a permanent move.

He’s a brave little bugger isn’t he. He doesn’t shirk away from a challenge even if he knows he’s gonna get clattered like with Van Dijk yesterday.

Been so impressed with him and as time goes on I think he’s going to be so so good.

Premier League: Norwich City 1-3 Manchester United - 27th October 2019

Quality pass for Rashford’s goal.

His awareness on the ball and his ability to pick a cross is getting better and better. You can’t not be impressed with the lad, think he’s looking like an absolute steal at £15m. I thought this year would be a bedding in year with him getting the odd start here and there but he’s developed into one of our most important players.

Give him the pen duties!

Really impressive since signing. Scouting team look to have found a gem here.

wasn't it Giggs who put the club onto him?

I was thinking him for pens too.

Can he take pens?

Penalty takers put themselves forward you shouldn’t just be picking your favourite players do something in training where you can judge the quality of a pen taker and ask the keepers to feedback who has predictable run ups etc then pick the best man for the job.

As for james he was apparently on the scouting list for a while nearly every club was watching him, Utd contacted Giggs and asked for a character reference on the player as he’d worked with him in the national setup when that came back positive they made their move and secured him early.

The club have basically admitted a major problem they had post Fergie was they didn’t have someone who could make a call to someone and find out about a player the on the pitch scouting is in some ways easy the off the pitch stuff is much harder.

Think he’s 2 for 2 in shoot outs (one friendly) since joining the club.

Deserves to be in the mix then but Rashford despite his 2 misses this season is probably still about 6 from 8 so he’s going to be hard to shift.

Was a little disappointed he didn’t step up to take the second the top guys who really back themselves step up again passing the buck for me doesn’t sit well but Utd don’t seem to have a nailed on taker. It seems there are 3 players and they kid of decide amongst themselves who is taking it if they score regularly no one probably notices but when you all keep missing it’s not a good look.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Brighton & Hove Albion - 10th November 2019

I hear he played well?

I think he was written off as a pace merchant even before he arrived but he is so much more and he is growing with every game. Another great performance today and think we are well set with him on the right and Rashford on the left. He is looking more and more like the bargain of the summer.

Premier League: Watford 2-0 Manchester United - 22nd December 2019

He could do with a rest.

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 28th December 2019

Best game for a while got a lot of heavy hits from the Burnley bouncers but took everyone of them and kept coming back for more.

He was very good in the second half. 9 goals and assists for the season.

A player who is more suited for away games?

He was very good in the second half. 9 goals and assists for the season.

A player who is more suited for away games?

Probably is at this point as an end to end game suits him as he doesn’t really hurt teams who sit deep because it’s very hard for him to use his speed.

I think at home he’d be better used on the left cutting in but Rashford has nailed down that spot you could possibly use him as an attacking right back at home but you’d need to do a lot of work on the training pitch to get the positioning right.

That said if Utd want to get back to the very top they’ll need options and having a player like James coming off your bench at home will be a useful option but in the big games I’d be starting him as he gives you that front foot intensity and a bit more defensive discipline than Greenwood does at this point.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers - 1st February 2020

Really frustrating performance yesterday. His job was to make the pitch as wide as possible yet he kept drifting into the middle where there was no space at all.

I think we are past resting now and should be saying he needs to be dropped but there is no one else so what can we really do.

2 weeks off now I’d suggest he goes off somewhere nice and warm for a few days and puts his feet up along with some of our other players get some well earned rest and come back ready for the final push.

He’s trying but it’s just not happening if we had other options he surely wouldn’t be playing but we don’t so he has to keep putting him out there.

He's lightweight and easily pushed off the ball by defenders.

He's a limited footballer who should be used as an impact sub.

He looks spent and low on confidence. He started the season with a bang but the last time I remember him playing quite well was away to Sheffield United. Hopefully this rest will do him good.

His awareness on the ball and his ability to pick a cross is getting better and better. You can’t not be impressed with the lad, think he’s looking like an absolute steal at £15m. I thought this year would be a bedding in year with him getting the odd start here and there but he’s developed into one of our most important players.
Just reading forward through the opinions on him, it's clear he is being burned out. Views on here went from "signing of the season for the entire premiere league" to "lightweight and easily pushed off the ball". The sad thing is, both of those views are accurate, it's just that in the meantime he isn't being managed well.

He hasn't been effective at all in what seems like ages. What's the point of his pace and gung-ho attitude unless he's being taught how to use those skills?

He's one for the future, he needs better coaching, and a rest.

A player like him should be a bench player on and off for at least a season or more but our squad is so thin he’s been thrown straight in the deep end , not he’s fault.and he’s flying start isn’t helping him.

I'm beginning to worry about the qulity of James too.

James started off so well not sure what's going on with him a bit like our team hot and cold at times

I think it's a few things. Firstly he was an unknown quantity when he first started. Secondly he seems to have a much better understanding with Rashford than he does Martial. And also he was a Championship player last season he's going to struggle at times. The sensational start was never going to keep going.

I think it's a few things. Firstly he was an unknown quantity when he first started. Secondly he seems to have a much better understanding with Rashford than he does Martial. And also he was a Championship player last season he's going to struggle at times. The sensational start was never going to keep going.
I guess I was expecting a lot after his explosive start, totally understand he will get better don't think ole would have used him as much but with injuries little choice

Think James is just struggling it's his first full season as a pro he's probably never played this many games and because he had that great start teams know what he's about now so they don't leave him space in behind. He's playing most of his games out of position he's not really a right winger or centre forward so he's having to deal with that.

We obviously neve planned to use him the way we have been he shouldn't really be in the team at the moment but he's having to play because we don't have anyone else.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next one to go down with an injury.

I actually hadn’t realised how bad a run he was on to be honest. He got 3 goals for us in August and hasn’t scored since. 28 games without a goal. How’s Ole not starting Greenwood ahead of him at the moment.

I actually hadn’t realised how bad a run he was on to be honest. He got 3 goals for us in August and hasn’t scored since. 28 games without a goal. How’s Ole not starting Greenwood ahead of him at the moment.

Yeah absolute no question when it comes to goal scoring. From what I've seen James just seems to have a complete lack of composure in front of goal, with a tendency to just hit it as hard as he can. Greendwood's finishing is phenomenal though, especially for his age. If he stays away from any very serious injuries in his career, he will score a ridiculous amount of goals. A very special talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back