Daniel James | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's got speed and work rate and that's about it. I don't think he's of the required quality for a club like United.

I actually hadn’t realised how bad a run he was on to be honest. He got 3 goals for us in August and hasn’t scored since. 28 games without a goal. How’s Ole not starting Greenwood ahead of him at the moment.

Think he feels Greenwood isn’t quite ready physically to start PL games yet more effective off the bench.

It’s a player like Lingard who’s massively let us down this year contributed zilch so a guy like James has had to keep toiling away even though he’s struggling.

Definitely should be starting Greenwood now were coming up to the business end of the season

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Manchester City - 8th March 2020

One of his better performances in recent, he was a threat, but he lacked the confidence/ability to play the final ball.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Manchester City - 8th March 2020

One of his better performances in recent, he was a threat, but he lacked the confidence/ability to play the final ball.

Yeah big moment in the game when he should have cut it back to a Fernandes but went for goal those key decisions are vital so hopefully he can improve there.

Looks to have his legs back he’s got those long sprints back in him and you need that when playing this style/system.

May not be a man for every occasion but becoming one of those players for the big occasion

I think it's time for a loan or get rid. He looks a fish out of water, he was terrible last night. Certainly nowhere near a top 4 squad player.

I can't see him being loaned out we just don't have the numbers in the squad but if he keeps playing like this it won't be long before a guy like Chong is moving ahead of him and if we sign Sancho that's him further down the pecking list.

Think his confidence looks shot been a tough year for him on and off the pitch lots of changes might be hard for him to recover that confidence at Utd but it looks like the squad and management will help him probably needs the fans when they return to get behind him a bit.

I think it's too early to write him off, but he does need an environment where he can improve his game. He has amazing speed and can score a goal when confident (like the start of the season). He currently does not seem to have enough skill to be a flying winger who delivers a killer ball. A loan where he would start every game would be a great move for him and for United. I think hanging around hoping to be an impact sub is not going to help his game. Who knows, maybe he could work on nothing but crossing the ball in training this next season and he'd be deadly as a winger. In his current state, I put him in the same bracket as Chong and Pereira, players who are good but not good enough.

I think when it comes to putting a cross in he needs to concentrate on putting it into the danger area and let the forwards do the work to get on the end of it.
Too often he lifts his head and looks for the forward to put it on his toe which subsequently slows the move down, makes it predictable and usually results in a block.
Once the forwards know he is going to cross early they will bust a gut to get on the end of it. His job is to get it in there, and he is not doing that. When he starts doing that it is for the forward to get on the end of it.

Tbh I don't think our forwards are particularly good at getting in the danger area. They are great players but when crosses come in I rarely see them busting a gut to get in the box, more likely holding at the edge of the box.

You are right, except for Ighalo. He was often there on Wednesday night but the ball never got played in, James being the main culprit

James was really struggling to find the gap between the keeper and the defenders he put to many crosses to close to the keeper.

Think his chances will be limited next season to sub appearances and cup games but it'll be make or break next season if he doesn't step up a level in 12 months time he'll be out the door.

There's talent there but he needs to learn how to play in tight spaces given space in behind he's lethal but when the opponent is set in front of him he struggles to create openings for shots/passes to unlock teams.

The big plus for Dan is his speed but i don't even see him exploit that too much and when he does his end product is very poor. I think he has a lot of work to do, I've never seen a player get knocked off the ball so easily at this standard. Maybe he needs to bulk up and work hard on his crossing and decision making, we could have a decent player on our hands then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back