Daley Blind signs for Ajax

JSNFRMN

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Came here with Van Gaal off back of a fantastic World Cup for the Dutch. Excellent in FA Cup and Europa League winning seasons. Struggled for games last season with Mourinho preferring a different type of player in each of his positions. Versatility meant he was a good player to have around still but deserves to be starting regularly somewhere and Netherlands need him playing week in week out somewhere too if they're to get back playing in major tournaments. Think he goes back to Ajax a better player and I wish him all the best. Great signing for Ajax.

No doubt wish him the best. Always tried his hardest and was put in difficult positions occasionally. A class man and player. We won’t miss him but we could do with someone of his passing ability just he missed the yard of space to be a DM and and two inches of height to be a CB

Think he stayed 1 season to long in the end he probably should've moved last summer but gave it his all and I think he very rarely let us down.

Fantastic at CB in LVG's second season built a solid partnership with Smalling but you always knew he wasn't going to be a Mourinho player.

I don't really understand why we didn't use him more, useful player who can cover a few positions.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/daley-blind-completes-transfer-from-united-to-ajax

I didn't realise he was still only 28. That's a great signing for Ajax. They've spent quite a bit this summer haven't they?

Yeah I was surprised they were able to bring Blind back, must have taken a pay cut to go back there...

They splashed out on Tadic as well who's also late 20's but playing in Holland before moving to Southampton.

I think they've been under pressure to win the league from the fans as they haven't won it in 4 seasons. So maybe decided they need one or two more experienced players to guide the youngsters through a season, this might also help them get out of the CL group stage which brings extra revenue.

Not sure how many CL spots the Dutch league gets these days as UEFA have changed a lot of this for next season but I'd assume it's 3 spots winner goes in the group, 2nd is 3rd qualifier and 3rd goes in the earlier qualifying rounds.

Just top 2 in Eredivisie. None automatic qualify. Champions 3rd qualifier, runner up 2nd qualifier.

Guess that might explain it then especially if the best youngsters are going to be picked off every summer they need a few older heads who'll remain for a few years to guide them.

Helps that Blind came through that system as well so he can relate to them and maybe convince them to stay a little bit longer than they currently do to help the team.

I really think it's a shame the way Blinds United career went. He was a good player coming in who offered versatility. I guess that was his undoing with Jose because he didn't know his best position. I hope it works for him at Ajax.

Ruled out indefinitely with a heart condition. Shame. Always a player I liked!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back