Status
Not open for further replies.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't mean to judge him too quickly, but did anyone else get the feeling that we have bought a left footed Valencia? His passing seems very limited and ordinary.

He's a defensive midfielder, his job is to break up play and recycle possession, not create. He's actually very good on the ball though.

My only worry about him in the short term is whether he can cope with the pace of the Prem.

Confident on the ball. Knows the philosophy and will provide us someone in the middle of the park who will keep reminding the team what that philosophy is. "Hey you stop playing long balls!" or something like that.

He shouldn't be judged on last night, the game was over after 8 mins because Martins Indi was all over the place. After Martins Indi got sent off, Hiddink took the left winger off so Blind had no one helping him and thus he wasn't allowed to get forward.

Oh didn't realize that the Dutch were down to ten men. That probably explains the lack of attacking intent. But still I saw him get the ball at least 10 times and he just passed it to the left midfielder. It was like the first three mins of the video was on loop of a single pass.

It got better when he was moved into midfield though.

Czech Republic - 9/9/2014

Blind on van Gaal: "He is very strict and direct in what he wants. The players have to do exactly what is best to try to win games. He reads games very well and his predictions came true for almost every game at the World Cup."

Blind on his relationship with van Gaal: "The manager gave me a lot of trust during the World Cup and qualification games. I'm happy to work again with the coach. I've learned from him and I hope I learn more and get better with every game."

Daley Blind on his favoured position: "It's important for me to be able to play in both defence and midfield. It's up to the coach where I play but I will always try to do my best."

More Carrick for me. Didn't really think of Hargreaves.

Lead the midfield today like I expected. Knows the philosophy. He steered the ship.

It's good to have someone calm to sit back and play the correct passes whether that is spreading it wide with one touch or becoming an option for the centre backs. We have at least two DMs now thankfully once Carrick is back.

Top debut; played like he'd been at United for years. Neat, kept possession ticking over, hassled opponents and reading of the game was very good.

Lack of pace possibly an issue in the future?

I thought that also, but how many pacey defensive midfielders are out there?

Matic at Chelsea not the quickest either is he? I wouldn't consider Blind slow though anyway, he's got decent pace. Think he makes up for it in intelligence of the role and game. It might be a problem in the short term while he adapts to the pace of the Prem but think he'll be fine in time. A good game to settle into.

Leicester City - 21/9/2014

Is the GIF an example of where Blind's lack of pace is a weakness? Perhaps not, but would Blackett have committed himself if he knew Blind was going to cut down the angle of the attacker? Or am I completely wrong?

EoDpfC6.gif

It is a bit of a weakness tho I think in that particular clip I would be more worried about where smelling was.

I think Smalling was that far forward as the team was in possession and we wanted to score another. He was wrong to be in that position at 3-3 and after conceding two quick goals.

Blind does look like he is running through treacle.

He does. That is certainly his weakness. Tbh in that role with the attacking players we have I don't really want him more than about ten yards in front of the central defenders.

That was more Rojo's fault. You can't have 11 quick players on the field that's why you have other players on the field to cover.

That's true too. That is why I would like him to stay very deep. Work across the pitch rather than up and down

I think there was about 4 players in the wrong for that goal. Blackett should have defended the space and not the man in possession but maybe he thought Smalling was covering Vardy, I think Blind would have got to De Laet or at least put him off coming in field. Smalling is in no man's land, I don't understand why he's that high up regardless of score, when the ball is on the other side of the pitch there's no reason for him to be that high, did he bring the ball out of defence before that? Rojo is too high. Blind is too high.

Poor game management and poor defending as a team which created problems individually.

What's also notable (not with this goal) is after our 2nd goal we conceded just a minute later and after our 3rd we conceded a penalty 5 mins later. A result of chasing more goals when we don't need to, which is poor game management and I think that's down to the players not understanding the philosophy yet. We don't yet have the patience to play 'keep ball', we want to score more instead of controlling the game.

Just had a look and found a video of the full game to see why Smalling is so high up field. At 1:19:43 shows why he is out of position.

Everton - 5/10/2014

One of our better players. He was brilliant in the first half.

His technique and reading of the game is excellent.

Intrigued to see how he fares against Chelsea and in away fixtures.

Daley Blind hopes to become a leader like his father - Official Manchester United Website

Starting to see him as more of Hargreaves than a Carrick. I thought he did well on Sunday but nothing more, he had a lot of time on the ball but I'd like to see him be a bit more adventerous with his passing when he has that time on the ball though. Off the ball, he always seems to be in the right place, very good defensively which is his main job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back