Coronavirus

Do the vaccines work on the SA variant? I thought the AZ didn't, not sure about the others

Can't say I've read much about the SA variant I remember seeing something about concerns early on but they were pretty confident that it would work they just needed to do the testing to prove it.

Well, I had the pleasure of spending most of my day today around the Camden Market / Locks area. It was rammed and nobody was giving a daffy about anything. The pandemic is over guys, lets all go fecking mad!! I predict this will backfire!
Tell you another thing, when I got my first jab nobody said to me I was now protected against Covid. The vaccine in my opinion has offered a false sense of security. I will feel better when I have jab 2.

'On Tuesday, France suspended all flights to and from Brazil in a bid to prevent the variant’s spread as Latin America’s largest economy becomes increasingly isolated.'

Why are France only just suspending flights to and from Brazil?

I think they were only open for French nationals to return, going to funerals etc. It wasn't open just for tourists to pour in.

Something I considered when I got my first jab was can I be sure I will get the same vaccine on the second jab? I resolved to keep my card and check on it when the time comes.
Now a man from New Hampshire has been given Pfizer jab when he was given the Moderna as his first. A supervisor told him "the good news is, you are fully vaccinated".

Study reveals one dose of the covid vaccine reduces transmission rates by 49% meaning if you've had your jab your are half as likely to pass it on to someone else if you get the virus.

It is great to see people back out and about and businesses back in action.

Stark contrast to what is going on over in India where things are really out of control their entire health service is close to collapse with people buying black market oxygen cylinders to keep relatives alive.

I had first jab AZ, now in France they won't give it to under 55's. Even though I had it, the chances of thrombosis being minute I can't have it for my second.
But they will give me an untested mix of drugs haha
Anyway, glad I'm getting a second jab, albeit a different one.

Covid Level in the UK reduced from 4 to 3 ahead of the next reduction in restrictions which allow us to mix indoors from next week with rule of 6 still applying.

Level 3 is virus is in general circulation.

Still waiting to be called for my first jab think they're now doing the 40 year olds so would expect mine will be in about a month.

I'm 34 so yeah early 20's when I joined that old place.

Lots of chat on the radio re: hospital delays, sounds like it's going to be quite bad in the UK.

I've got a pal who said he's going to have to wait 3 years for an appointment, albeit a minor issue, it does give him problems.

Also a lot of chat about Boris and the masks being allowed off while the Indian varient seems to be getting a hold of some areas.

I'm 34 so yeah early 20's when I joined that old place.

Think we were 18/19. Was 2006 when we moved from 606. I remember because I was working in my first job when I found the place and was only there 18 months.

As for Covid we had our first 0 deaths day from Covid this week since last July. Things seem to be very much moving forwards. I can't wait until it either warms up or we are allowed inside pubs. As i've felt rough for a while and i'm sure it's the sitting outside in the cold til 11pm!

Haha, yeah, even in the summer, I remember sitting in pub gardens on the Thames, sun goes down, it gets cold!

RE: Covid, they were saying the Indian variant is a bit of a worry and numbers are moving up again, that it will take a few weeks for the stats to show and the rule relaxation needs to be reviewed. Mind you, they like to give both sides on R5 to generate content, I don't how real those facts are.

Think they've had a few spikes in some areas of the country but nothing that they are massively alarmed about on the whole things seem to be going well here the second doses are happening now which will only make things better.

To me getting rid of the masks is a bit stupid before 21st June it really doesn't do that much harm I know at the mrs school they're now saying from next week kids don't have to wear them in class but they do have to wear them in communal areas.

The travel restrictions are lifting not sure if we'll try and go abroad this summer still feels a bit to soon but would be really nice to get away.

There's going to be a massive backlog of operations because of Covid for the next few years waiting lists were already long but this will have battered them.

Yeah the weather has really turned on the pubs/restaurants which is a shame they should have been allowed to operate indoors a month ago but we're past that now so will be good to see them getting busier and hoping to go out for a meal next week.

More serious talk now of local lockdowns again which would be as pointless as they were last time they were proven not to work in England as you can't stop people travelling between regions.

I see they're talking about speeding up second doses to try and mitigate everything but not sounding good for all restrictions to be lifted on 21st June.

They surely can't delay the current plans for Monday at this late a date but can see them potentially delaying the next level if they feel they need to get more vaccinations done.

So everything opens as planned on Monday but this new variant may delay the next step in June if it continues to spread and results in hospitalisation.

Less of a turnaround to get the second dose for over 50’s and the vulnerable.

This new variant could have implications of the further easing of June.

Always seems to be some bad news around every corner. But hopefully as our vaccine programme is so advanced that this new variant is only a slight bump in the road.

Hopefully it helps convince those who are reluctant to get a vaccine to go and get one this thing is a long way from over.

This new variant could have implications of the further easing of June.
Thing is... There's this real concern over this variant and yet case numbers are still remaining low. And if they are that concerned then why are they allowing things to open up on Monday? Especially in Bolton / Greater Manchester.

Thing is... There's this real concern over this variant and yet case numbers are still remaining low. And if they are that concerned then why are they allowing things to open up on Monday? Especially in Bolton / Greater Manchester.
I guess with the effectiveness of the vaccine programme they think it’s safe to go ahead with the easing of restrictions on Monday as planned.

No doubt the new variant is a concern and I think the worry is that with young people not yet vaccinated they could be the ones going out and spreading this. However cases of the new variant are fairly low but I think people still need to be careful - which unfortunately probably won’t be the case.

I hope that this Monday easing doesn’t have repercussions because it’s nice to know that come June/July the country could be back to some sort of normality.

I guess with the effectiveness of the vaccine programme they think it’s safe to go ahead with the easing of restrictions on Monday as planned.
And I completely agree with that. To me we should be getting back to normal now unless deaths rise and the NHS is in danger of being put under strain.

At this point case numbers are still fairly low but the government are saying that the June date is now at risk due to this variant. It doesn't add up.

Just another example of us not reacting quick enough India should have been red listed much sooner than it was but hopefully our vaccination programme is advanced enough to keep the pressure off the NHS.

It’s not just north west where there’s a problem with the new variant it’s very prevalent near me neighbouring counties both have higher than 50% of new cases being this new variant.

We saw last summer local lockdowns don’t work because people still move around and these new variants spread quicker which means eventually we all end up locking down.

Just another example of us not reacting quick enough India should have been red listed much sooner than it was but hopefully our vaccination programme is advanced enough to keep the pressure off the NHS.
And that's all it should be about. Forget case numbers at this point, if they don't lead to hospitalizations and deaths then case numbers are irrelevant.

And that's all it should be about. Forget case numbers at this point, if they don't lead to hospitalizations and deaths then case numbers are irrelevant.

Not quite true you still need to keep case numbers low to protect those who aren’t or can’t be vaccinated but yeah the vaccinations will stop a large portion of the population from getting the most severe symptoms.

Not quite true you still need to keep case numbers low to protect those who aren’t or can’t be vaccinated but yeah the vaccinations will stop a large portion of the population from getting the most severe symptoms.
I mean yeah but that's going to be nigh on impossible. We have to get back to normal and accept unfortunately to live with this virus.

If cases continue to rise but hospitalisations don't go up when we wont see restrictions imposed. If Hospital admissions or deaths start to rise then we'll see a delay to the June opening. Recommend following Simple Politics on Instagram.

I am very wary of the June opening. But more just from a personal standpoint. The idea of being in a packed pub shoulder to shoulder at the bar seems a different world now. Or the rush hour train back from work where you have people crammed in to every space you can find just seems mental. I've very much enjoyed the slower pace of the world and not doing everything at hundred miles per hour. Table service at pubs and only being within touching distance of people I choose to be with!

I've booked flights back in July.

I don't think we'll be coming to be honest. The tests for the four us will be about 800 quid. For a weekend. Two of us wil have had 2 jabs.

My guess is we won't take backwards steps unless things go really pear shaped but we might stay at this level for a little longer than planned.

That said the science is supposed to guide this so if in 4 weeks the numbers have remained stable then maybe they can look at making further relaxations.

It might be that their are further small steps back to fully open they did kind of suggest that when they came up with the roadmap that 21st June was the target date to remove "most" restrictions I don't think they ever committed to removing all restrictions.

See a politician has said today that Brits need to be ‘measured and cautious’ during these latest easing of restrictions- pretty sure that translated for a lot of people as ‘let’s go get drunkkkkkk’.

See a politician has said today that Brits need to be ‘measured and cautious’ during these latest easing of restrictions- pretty sure that translated for a lot of people as ‘let’s go get drunkkkkkk’.

This has been the major problem throughout with the government as what does that even mean? Are you breaking the rules if you go out for dinner one night, then the pub another night then pop in to see friends and family another night? All this is within the rules.

That statement to me is just teeing up a potential backtrack on the 21st June where they blame it on us.

It’s either safe to be inside or it isn’t and they know their track and trace system is absolute bobbins.

They clearly don’t want people going on international holidays but they are to afraid to say it.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back