Coronavirus

Its why the rule of 6 outside makes little sense. Once you've got a hundred groups of 6. It's still 600 people crammed in to the same space at the park as if they were together.

Hard to tell from the photos I've seen if it's massive groups or loads of groups of 6. But down the park it makes little sense to me.

Thing is it starts as small groups then inevitably you'll get chatting to another group and the group gets a little bigger and so on and so on we're a social species and it was a lot of people letting their hair down after being shut inside for months.

It looked no different to when pubs re-opened in July and you just had groups of people stood in beer gardens that only really changed when they said it's table service only and you need to sit at a table at all times. That isn't really enforceable in a park.

It was probably only a one day explosion with the restrictions easing it's due to snow/rain all next week so won't be many people sitting in the park if that happens.

We still have one of the worst death rates in the world. We handled it worst than any other first world country.

If Boris manages to get back in after deciding that lives didn't matter last March then I'll lose all hope in this country.
If we had handled it better than any other country you would still be slating the Tories regardless so your above opinion is of little to no relevance.

If we had handled it better than any other country you would still be slating the Tories regardless so your above opinion is of little to no relevance.

If we'd handled it well then I'd have been full of praise. Like I was of Rishi when they announced the Furlough scheme and of the vaccine roll out.

However unfortunately there is very little else to praise over the last 12 months. There is though a lot to criticise.

And your opinion on most things holds little to no relevance to me. So the feeling is mutual.

It's almost nailed the country has spoken time after time they support the tories and no amount of scandal or balls ups seem to shake that trust and loyalty. The biggest threat to the Tories was UKIP they saw them off by having the referedum and delivering Brexit.

I mean our PM has basically spent public money taking his mistress around the world and lied about it and it's barely made a dent in the public consience.

The next election should be an absolute slam dunk for the opposition but it won't be.
That gets my vote :cool: ye need to be a bit cute in this world.

oh yes I agree, but the photo's are large groups. And fighting. I'm not passing judement, probably would have done the same at 20. Just laughing at the culture really.

I haven't seen anyone apart from my wife and children for over a year. We're going to visit friends in our old village this weekend. Quite excited

PS. I wouldn't have left my litter behind though. That's pretty disgusting.
So is eating frogs legs and snails and pouring wine down childrens throats Pierre!

I havent read the report in depth but I do think I am in general agreement with it. Britain probably leads the world in tackling the issue

I have never made such a statement

granted, not quite said as much. You agree with a report you haven't read, because the headline says there is not systemic racism in the UK.

then you use racist stereotypes the following day,

granted, not quite said as much. You agree with a report you haven't read, because the headline says there is not systemic racism in the UK.

Like I said before, you moved to a different part of Europe and like to spend time knocking the UK, I know others who do so. You were mocking our culture, so when in response I mock the culture you live in you get all grumpy.

I wasn't mocking the culture, I was laughing at it, I find it funny, I was that culture in my youth as I said in the same post. I even said I'm not passing judgement.

You literally just make things up.

I love England, I am English, I critiscised the government when I lived there

If somebody makes references to me about porridge, haggis and whisky I dont consider it racist stereotyping. If you do your away wi the fairies.

Oh, and tell me. How come you and your cronies didn't condemn the Slosh mcThong dig at me then? even though I highlighted it for what it was?
That was ok was it?
If we are to be so PC, there needs to be consistency to it.

So, we can have a wee pint in a beer garden or have a nice restaurant al fresco meal from next week. Thank god, I think the length of this lockdown has really taken its toll on folk.
I have booked my return flights to spend the first week in May in Scotland. I have big plans for that week and cant wait to get out and about and have a wee dram in the Ben Nevis Inn

Oh, before you ask, the Ben Nevis Inn has a large garden, very large. I got lost in it last time.

Been nice catching up with friends and family over the last few days.

Hopefully the weather settles down so those places that can open outside don’t just get washed out.

Obviously for those that can afford it I would encourage them to get out and spend a couple of quid to help some of these businesses get back up and running (choose small privates where possible). But be sensible ffs, keep it real and keep it safe. We still need to be cautious.
I fee really bad for those that cant afford it having been financially effected by the situation. I know of one such neighbour and I am pleased to say that he has accepted some assistance during this time without any hesitance. That's what friends are for he tells me :rolleyes:
Typical English really. No shame in them.

A bit of a climb down from the Gov today regarding the Aztra Zenica by the sound of things. So seems like our Euro neighbours concerns were warranted.

Sounds like a better safe than sorry approach no point taking needless risks.

If this was the only vaccine they’d still be telling everyone to get it but they have alternatives so why not suggest taking those ones while they continue looking into it.

They’ve even said under 30 risk of blood clots remains very very low.

The under 30s are also a group where anti vaccination beliefs are reasonably strong so they need to make sure they keep them on board and make sure they get their vaccines and feel safe doing it.

A bit of a climb down from the Gov today regarding the Aztra Zenica by the sound of things. So seems like our Euro neighbours concerns were warranted.
All those headlines in the crappy papers have done their damage now in forming chasms between the UK and the EU. So it doesn't really matter. Likewise some certain MP's who were a bit vocal in with their EU opinions over the AZ. Neither the papers or the MP's will print an apology though.

As for the news, I think maybe Macron has handled this quite well after all, only because the French are so anti vax. Of course the French won't see it because they hate it all, vax and covid. But for me he's given the impression he's all over the safety of it, and now if they say you can have it, take it.

It's ridiculous really.

Something like 30 cases from 18.1 million jabs in the UK. It'll get listed in the less than 1 in 10,000 side effects.

Other medications 'Less than 1 in 10,000' side effects, 'can get breathing difficulties, dizziness, swelling to the face and throat which can cause asphyxiation.' - Gaviscon.

Creating such a drama and feeding the anti-vax narrative on something so rare is well over the top. The experts have said it should continue to be used.

I think they are trying to do the opposite, if they didn't say anything then there would be much more for the anti vaxers to feed on.

They are basically saying it's safe, benefits outway the negatives. But the younger you are, the less drastic the Covid risk is, so your vax risk goes up. They just said 1 in 100,000 on the radio for that age range.

Just had a pharmacist on the radio, who's brother died of a clot, probably from the AZ. She was saying the same, for the young then maybe take another jab. But all drugs have risks, you give loads of people any drug, some will have reactions of varying degrees. Take the jab when offered

Going back to the one in 100,000, a doctor said in that number, every 3 months a person will die in a car crash in that age range.

Once it’s on social media and going round on what’s app groups they have to do something the UK approach was I think the least damaging option.

Do the research, prove it is nothing to be alarmed over and give them an alternative to make them feel safer if they don’t feel safe taking the AZ one.

Good to see the suns out and looks like the temperatures will be decent through the day for the businesses that have decided to re-open outdoors. I'm off work on Friday so we've booked in somewhere for lunch.

Need to get booked in at the barbers the hair has got out of control.

Think it's great that things are starting to open up again I know we'll get the tabloid nonsense for a day or two of people quieing for shops etc which is to be expected but hopefully this is the end of the last lockdown and slowly things can return to a more regular way of life.

I dont feel any desperate need to go to a bar or barbers to be honest. Will look forward to a nice outdoor meal when the temps are right though.
What I really need is the freedom to travel within the UK, that will be the business :cool:

Tell you another thing, we will be going backwards and restrictions will start being imposed again in about 4 weeks time based on what I been seeing around pubs.
Unless of course the vaccines have done enough to prevent that.

Tell you another thing, we will be going backwards and restrictions will start being imposed again in about 4 weeks time based on what I been seeing around pubs.
Unless of course the vaccines have done enough to prevent that.

First few days will always be silly season then it’ll settle down like it’s done before.

Hopefully the vaccinations do the job and we keep the pressure off the NHS by following the rules but I doubt it was a load of over 50s who had vaccines who flocked to pubs and shops today.

Everything I’ve seen has people behaving sensibly in pubs where it’s been silly season is the shopping centres but again that will ease off after a few days.

I think the step between this and the next one is big and the test will be on the government to prove they’re following the numbers. If cases start rising quickly again under the current rules then they can’t go to the next stage on the 17th May.

Hopefully we don’t have set backs and we keep on the track as taking a step backwards now would be a brutal blow to so many people.

First few days will always be silly season then it’ll settle down like it’s done before.

Hopefully the vaccinations do the job and we keep the pressure off the NHS by following the rules but I doubt it was a load of over 50s who had vaccines who flocked to pubs and shops today.

Everything I’ve seen has people behaving sensibly in pubs where it’s been silly season is the shopping centres but again that will ease off after a few days.

I think the step between this and the next one is big and the test will be on the government to prove they’re following the numbers. If cases start rising quickly again under the current rules then they can’t go to the next stage on the 17th May.

Hopefully we don’t have set backs and we keep on the track as taking a step backwards now would be a brutal blow to so many people.
That could be damage done!!

VE Day like celebrations all over Soho last night with no distancing or masks! Already we preparing for further steps backwards.
Total shambles

what do you expect when you open pubs. It's the English/B way.

In my opinion pubs should have been the last thing to open.

At some point life has to start again but it will ease off and you'd hope that the scientists who've done all these models will have allowed for a bit of a jump after things open as it's to be expected. The point is we can live with a certain number of cases per day what we can't like with is 1,000's a day filling hospitals and then sadly dying.

The thought process is obviously the vast majority of the highest risk groups are now protected by vaccine so yes we will see cases of Covid go up amongst those who don't need jabs but we shouldn't see the number requiring hospital treatment rising as sharply.

My suggestion would be a bit more policing in the city centre hot spots to make sure pubs are following the rules and if they're not the police should have powers to close them.

Two boroughs in London having precautions because of a spread of the SA variant.

It's clear those photo's in London, people are not respecting the rules. If another lockdown arrives you only have yourselves to blame.

Yes life has to start again, but you should respect the terms on which that restart has been agreed.

The small minority who weren't obeying the rules last night are very likely the people who have been dodging the rules throughout by sneaking round to a mates house rather than stay home.

Let's hope it doesn't spectacularly backfire it may well be that rather than 5 weeks to the next step we end up staying at this level a little bit longer if the cases go up more than expected. Another lockdown would be brutal.

On the positive the over 45's are now being called for vaccines all over 50's and high risk people in the UK have been offered a vaccine 32m have had the first dose and almost 8m have had both now.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back