Coronavirus

We are all desperate for some freedom but when we get it we really need to be sensible. Macron now imposing strict lockdown in France saying "the numbers are charging away from us and warning they could "lose control".
Dont get silly guys!! keep it real.

I did see that schools closed in France for 3 weeks they’re back up to 40,000 cases a day which is worrying we saw in the autumn how quickly this thing can escalate.

It obviously all went a bit mad in England yesterday restrictions lifted and an unseasonably hot March day with lots of schools on Easter holidays attracted lots of people outside to parks. Was to be expected and it will ease off again let’s hope the vaccinations have done enough to protect those that need protecting.

Good news with vaccinations the Pfizer trials on 12-15 year olds are looking positive.

Probably

Schools closed for 3 weeks but 2 of those are half term. If you go further than 10km from home you need a form. Department stores and shopping centres shut. But hair salons and high st shops open.

Pretty strict but not quite like the first one.

Curfew remains

ICU at 90%

ITV news just reported 'full lockdown' too. Wonder if there is anything behind them pushing that narrative.

I lot of what I read in the UK press and hear on the news about EU isn't always quite as it would appear.

So you don't believe there is a narrative pushed by the media at times?

Amazing.
I didnt say that but it works both ways and the EU is the worse offender. Their behaviour over the vaccines was ridiculous.

Have you read both sides of that argument then? Because if you had you'd know it wasn't so clear cut

It's exactly what Boris wants you to think too. Trying to cover up all his mistakes. And to be fair, him and the press are doing a pretty good job of it

Are they? I dont think so, they would need to be bloody good to cover over all his mistakes.

Doesnt mean folk have lost sight of his mistakes, it may mean some are willing to forgive. Of course given the Uk's vaccine programme has offered up some kudos to him

I had to go undercover for a bit there, old Sideshow made an appearance. He's gone now ;)
He's got my card marked you know :(

You know France and Germany have more people with second dose than the UK?
That's why he's panicking about the EU saying they might hold on to doses if AZ don't abide to the contracts signed.
Actually, I was going to carry on, with some facts about it all and the UK press agenda against the EU and pro Boris but I know it's pointless.

They have more people with second doses because of different policy, nothing else. The UK is way out in front in regards to first dose and presently I think the policy is right. That said, if vaccine becomes scarce to the extent that folk don't receive second doses in time, then that will be a big game changer.
I do however think that is highly unlikely.

I don't know what it is with folk who leave the UK to live in another part of Europe, they seem to turn on the UK.
I have a cousin in Spain, she is also like that.

I guess there's a reason some people leave.

I've not turned on anyone, I'm just not stupid enough to believe one is worse or better than the other.

I certainly believe very little in the UK press about it all, as I have the other side of the story.

It's just politics, power and mainly, money.

I've had a day of French bureaucracy today, so I'm not the kind of person who doesn't see the many faults here.

Well I can certainly put my hands up to one thing. I am a definite patriot, and I mean that in a UK sense.
I love the UK, the people in it and the value's most of us hold. We have ever right to feel proud and I do.

Daily Mail

but Macron blames 'British variant' as he locks down France​

The actual fact is he said it was the variant spreading the most - and that is a fact.

How The Mail reported the UK's response when it started.

The Kent variant was first detected in in September 2020 and its rapid spread across the country spooked No10 into tougher action in December.

can you see the difference.

The inflamatory headline is to serve one purpose only, make all its readers dislike the French/EU when all they are doing are telling the population the facts, like the UK did when they locked down for the Kent Variant, to the Brits, the English variant to the rest of the world.

You keep printing stuff like this, a mindset is set in the readers.

I mean just don't read the Daily Mail is probably the best decision you can make.

Political point scoring over Covid is the most bonkers thing ever as while we are smashing out our vaccines we've had a horrendous record in terms of deaths and also economic damage when compared to our european counter parts. We need everyone across europe and the world to get their Vaccinations done if we want to get back to any sort of normal life again. Whatever way we do it everyone needs two doses it doesn't seem like there's a right way or a wrong way and we certainly don't have enough evidence to prove which one was the correct decision yet anyway. Our Vaccination process has been in line with a longer stricter lockdown that say France so it's not exactly apples for apples in terms of a comparison.

Yes our press will try and point score it's what they do some will champion the current PM others will try and batter him especially print media they've picked a side of the argument and they'll splash headlines to get your attention.

We still have one of the worst death rates in the world. We handled it worst than any other first world country.

If Boris manages to get back in after deciding that lives didn't matter last March then I'll lose all hope in this country.

It's almost nailed the country has spoken time after time they support the tories and no amount of scandal or balls ups seem to shake that trust and loyalty. The biggest threat to the Tories was UKIP they saw them off by having the referedum and delivering Brexit.

I mean our PM has basically spent public money taking his mistress around the world and lied about it and it's barely made a dent in the public consience.

The next election should be an absolute slam dunk for the opposition but it won't be.

I agree, the diplomacy over Coivd on both sides has been horrendous. And it's all under the backlight of Brexit, UK want to say it's good, EU want to say it's bad. But really Covid should have taken the priority.

@jsp you make a good point over how it's been handled, this extension of half term is the first time the schools have shut since they went back in Sept. Whereas I think the UK has only just gone back. So you can't compare. Likewise the vaccine, we seem to be concentrating on getting the two jabs done. And regardless what the UK say, AZ need to answer for the fact why they are not supplying what was in the contract. It's not having a a go at the UK by threatening to keep their vaccines (I don't think they'll ever do this) it's trying to get the vaccines for their population that they signed a contract for. Lets not foget, Boris isn't the only one who wants to get re elected. Le Penn could get this next year, and that would be a disaster for many, not just France.

All the countries have made a mess of Covid at some point. I guess thats understandable as it's such a weird situation. But they really do need to work together.

No good UK having 30m one jabbers, if they can't get the second vaccine. No point EU blocking vaccines if it means they take the factories elsewhere.

I can't remember the figures, but I remeber I was shocked, at how many as a % vaccines have been given to so few countries, it's not this but it was something like 80% is in 10 countries. And the amount of countries with no vaccines is still very high.

In France, there is such of feeling of Anti vaccines in general that they really need to somehow reverse this line of thinking. We know someone with one lung, she will not take the vaccine as it changes her DNA!

On another note

Brits not letting their boozy reputation down, 6 can mix, so huge gatherings in parks drinking and fighting hahaha

On the radio, they pointd out that, I never really noticed until they said it, the amount of advertising there is in the UK around booze compared to everywhere else.

Can't really have a go at people for meeting up in groups of 6 like they've been told they can. We've just had a full on lockdown for the best part of 5 months.

I didn't see any fighting but don't see the issue with a few drinks outside. I've not had a chance yet but if the sun is shining this weekend I shall be having a few beers with a couple of friends and enjoying that first moment of freedom in 2021 at Meadowbank. In 2021 I've seen my partner, my niece has been dropped to us a couple of times and I've been in the office once a week and we are in April. It's going to be a well earned beer.

oh yes I agree, but the photo's are large groups. And fighting. I'm not passing judement, probably would have done the same at 20. Just laughing at the culture really.

I haven't seen anyone apart from my wife and children for over a year. We're going to visit friends in our old village this weekend. Quite excited

PS. I wouldn't have left my litter behind though. That's pretty disgusting.

Think it was the worst possible situation for the Government.

They've eased restrictions the week when the temperature shoots from 10 degrees to 20 degrees and half the school are on half term.

The gatherings in the parks were inevitable plenty of people have been locked up in houses for months without seeing friends and families so parks in highly populated areas will be packed. It's a shame how they've been left and a few minor flare ups inevitably occured but it was inevitable and to be honest it was to be expected.

I'm off to a friends for a BBQ tomorrow we're lucky as we have decent garden space we can use to meet up as friends but a lot of people don't so the public parks are the only options.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back