Coronavirus

Given how things are I think travel out of the UK should be banned and strict control to come in for the next 6 months. We should just accept and embrace being able to move freely within the UK.
Sunbed holidays in Spain just isnt a necessity.

Protests again in London today a combination of anti lockdown protesters and those protesting the new policing bill which seems to be a dangerous piece of legislation in terms of our rights to protest not just during but also after Covid.

On the topic of holidays it doesn’t seem sensible to travel to Europe for holidays until Europe/uk has sorted out vaccination roll outs but the European nations that rely on tourism money will be desperate to open up.

Can’t say I’m looking forward to a holiday in the UK this summer but if it means all these restrictions are gone quicker then it is a price worth paying.

I accordance with the law the police should disperse large crowds as they see fit and that includes protests, and more specifically anti lockdown protests.
No such legislation could ever stand up once we get over the covid crisis. The UK will always have a democratic approach. Its people who read too much into it and escalate things, just like the Oxford vaccine scare.

PM warning today that the "third wave" in Europe will likely arrive in the UK at some point hopefully us being a lot further along with the vaccinations will help keep transmissions at low levels.

With 7 days to go before the next change in restrictions you wonder if this third wave might cause them to delay any further rule changes.

Not going to lie I'm looking forward to being able to meet up in gardens again from next Monday.

I have seen the hospitality industry are still fighting to be allowed to open indoors from mid april in line with other retail and they make a good point about the evidence behind transmission in hospitality venues but it seems unlikely that the government will change the current plans

I see the topics of Vaccine Passports is back on the agenda with the PM saying that hospitality venues could be allowed to insist you provide proof of vaccination before entering their premises.

Not sure why pubs or restuarants would want to risk alienating potential customers over something like this because if the vaccination programme hasn't made it safe to get back to a normal way of life then we have much bigger problems.

To an extent I can understand them when it comes to international travel as a way of getting around quarantine rules on arrival but in practise would it actually work?

Another blow for the high street today Santander shutting 800 branches nationwide putting a lot of jobs at risk my uncle has just lost his job at a major retailer as they're shutting his store still going to be a lot of economic heart ache to come for a lot of people. Easy to argue the high steet was a dying industry anyway but Covid has been the final nail in the coffin for so many businesses.

I would think the most users of pubs and clubs are under 35? so does this mean they can't open until that age range is done?

I would think the most users of pubs and clubs are under 35?

That's would be an interesting survey. I'd guess it depends on location?

I always still feel like one of the youngest in the pubs and I'm 34 next month.

Also looking at July now for vaccines of our age group and talks of that being pushed back a month.

Just seen you said and clubs. I would definitely agree with clubs where I now feel out of place.

Though I think the suggestion is proof of vaccine or negative test result. So it wouldn't stop them from opening.

But Boris said it'll be down to the individual pub. I can't see anywhere implementing it. Why deal with the extra paper work.

Think it depends on the time of the week I'd say you probably get more over 40's who are mid week regulars and more under 40's who only go out at weekends.

Yeah I don't really see pubs wanting the issue of managing it to be honest as what's in it for them? It's not like if we get another outbreak they're going to let the "Vaccine Passport" pubs stay open they'll just shut them down again. It's an odd concept to focus on pubs it's almost trying to keep the finger of blame for spread pointing at pubs when all the evidence suggests otherwise.

As for Vaccines sounds like it's going to slow down and they obviously need to go around doing all the second doses again they're saying they're still on track for the targets of end of June but yeah I don't think I'll be getting one until the summer.

Can't you just use the chips in the vaccines to set off a buzzer of some sort when you walk through the door :p

Most of you guys wont remember but back in the day all pubs used to close in the afternoon. It was the law, not optional. Close at 3 and reopen 5.30. what a bloody inconvenience!! A sail down the Thames from Westminster Pier to Greenwich was a popular pastime in those days as you could get a beer on the boats which were exempt as they werent on land.
The pubs werent open Sunday nights and the Sunday lunchtime opening was a very short window, from 12.00 until 14.30 if memory serves me right. On the Sunday morning a crowd would assemble outside the pubs and the anticipation would grow as midday arrived. As soon as the doors opened there would be a big rush, people barging around to get first on the pool table, claim the dart board, make sure they got their fair share of the free bar snacks that would be laid on for Sundays or just to get served quickly before the found themselves 5 deep at the bar.
Anyhow's what i'm getting at is, I would like to see the Government announce to open the pubs on Sundays for this short window to help relieve the anxieties and boredom of the nation. The crowds outside the pubs waiting for the doors to open and the anticipation building would be fantastic nostalgia. Then as midday approaches announce a change of heart and keep the doors shut. :) That's my idea of a good day worth living for.

I'm just about old enough to remember pubs being closed during the day but by the time I was old enough to go to them most had switched to all day opening. I must admit I never go in pubs during the day during the week I wonder what the day time crowd is like.

They just had a pub owner on the news who basically said unless they make it law he doesn't think any pub will adopt it out of choice at it would just annoy customers and if they were to make it law then he'd expect it to be applied to all indoor public venues because there's absolutely no reason to single out pubs.

Still think it's bonkers that in 2 weeks we can go inside shops on the high street but we need to wait 6 weeks before we can sit and eat a meal inside a restaurant.

pubs and bars are still closed here. Shops never closed.

I remember the pub opening times. Pretty sure our local opened Sunday eve though, 7 - 10:30. Because I remember a couple of Sunday afternoon lock ins.

pubs and bars are still closed here. Shops never closed.

I remember the pub opening times. Pretty sure our local opened Sunday eve though, 7 - 10:30. Because I remember a couple of Sunday afternoon lock ins.
Yes, it was in Scotland where the pubs didnt open Sunday evening. All the good presbyterians wouldnt have it.

was there anything better than a lock in, everyone leaves and a select few stay behind. Mood low as you thought it was hometime, then you get the special nod haha.

In those days in Scotland when all pubs were shut from 14.30 on a Sunday (and it was very strict with no lock ins) the only potential for alcohol and sociability was a hotel bar if you were an actual guest.
You had to be a confirmed bona fida traveller to be served alcohol. That was the actual law :rolleyes: It wasn't totally unknown for sad folk to have a hotel booked for an evening for the sake of a drink.
Looking back, Scotland truly was a strange place in them days, dour even. But strangely they seemed to wake up to the fact that they had some antiquated laws and suddenly they turned everything on its head and ruled bars could open all day everyday and life should be a big party.
From memory it took England a few years to follow and let pubs open all day.
In answer to @jsp who wondered what a daytime crowd wa/is like. Depending on location the pubs used to be full of office workers or even manual workers having a liquid lunch at dinnertime. But of course drinking in your lunch break became totally unacceptable in the 90's and firms made it policy. That was the start of the downfall of pubs. I was a publican until about 1992 and that is when I decided to get out as my day trade was decimated.
Soon after we saw the rise of the gastro pub, turning to food was a survival strategy.

Obviously I would have started a thread about it rather than take the coronavirus thread so off course. But I'm not allowed :rolleyes:

UK may offer vaccinations to people in the Republic of Ireland to help open up Northern Ireland.

Rumours this morning that travel restrictions will remain until at least August.

Boris Johnson suggesting yesterday we are still on track to hit our dates and from tomorrow in England we can meet outside in up to groups of 6.

In Barcelona they held a non socially distanced concert for 5,000 people as a trial. Everyone had to wear masks and pass a rapid Covid test before entering the venue.

Should have said that story is about international travel domestic travel including travel between the UK nations should be back before that.

You would imagine by June/July we will be allowed to travel in and out of Wales/Scotland/NI for holiday reasons.

The Scottish plan is to have all travel restrictions lifted and all tourist type accommodation reopened by 26th April. This includes allowing people from other parts of the UK to travel in. here's hoping that goes to plan, but of course I guess in would need England to allow people to travel out.

Think in England the travel restrictions are due to end 17th May when the next round of restrictions are removed but when it comes to crossing borders who knows.

I know in Wales things are already opening but you can’t travel into Wales unless it’s for work reasons.

If Scotland are allowing travel in but England are not allowing travel out then I will be breaking the law. I am pretty certain of that.

If Scotland are allowing travel in but England are not allowing travel out then I will be breaking the law. I am pretty certain of that.

Nicola will be waiting for you at the border.

Get back south you deserter.

England might change their position sooner but from memory hotels and all that stuff weren’t opening for leisure purposes until the 3rd change when other hospitality is allowed to operate indoors.

Got to love insurance companies happy to take your money when nothing happens but the moment something does happen and you need them to step in they look for any way of getting out of paying.

The reality is they probably do this as a tactic thinking most of these businesses will go bust before the court case is settled so they'd never have to pay out anyway.

Yep today we are free to meet people in groups of up to 6 outside for the first time in 3 months we are also allowed to meet in gardens.

In true British style it looks like the weather is going to suck over the easter weekend as well chance of bloody snow on Easter Monday at the moment.

Other stuff back from today as well outdoor exercise can resume including sports teams which I think will be huge for peoples mental health being able to get together and participate in sport or exercise again.

My outdoor circuit blass resumes on Thursday and I can't wait to get back into it.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back