Coronavirus

Thought Boris and the conservatives had done a great job and the only people that would criticise them are those with an agenda?

Now as usual pressure has had to be put on him?

Boris has been poor but Sturgeon hasn't put pressure on. This talk was yesterday long before any announcement from Scotland. We've all said on here that a national lockdown would come following Christmas and the new year.

Thought Boris and the conservatives had done a great job and the only people that would criticise them are those with an agenda?

Now as usual pressure has had to be put on him?

Boris has been poor but Sturgeon hasn't put pressure on. This talk was yesterday long before any announcement from Scotland. We've all said on here that a national lockdown would come following Christmas and the new year.
Nonsense, Boris talk yesterday was that something could change in the coming weeks, suddenly its today.

Well at least you're finally realising the Conservatives are mismanaging this. Even if it is for a strange reason of thinking it.

Well at least you're finally realising the Conservatives are mismanaging this. Even if it is for a strange reason of thinking it.
I have never said they have managed it well you just read things the way you want to read them.

It’s just one mess to another.

They’ve ballsed up the track and trace and a new strain has absolutely crippled them because it’s clearly let rip through schools.

These regional lockdowns with different tiers are useless so back into lockdown we go but why have we waited until the last moments to do it again.

Before Boris was diagnosed with Covid, when he was addressing us in a TV speech I remember thinking he didnt look very well and wondered if he had it, and sure enough within a day or two he was diagnosed.
Tonight he is looking that way again :confused:

Think he’s cracking under the pressure to be honest had a tough few weeks getting Brexit over the line and having Covid rip through the UK again.

Basically we’re back to national lockdown until end of Feb possibly longer only able to leave the house for food, medicine, medical attention or exercise.

Schools to close until the Feb half term possibly longer and Summer Exams likely to be cancelled.

Aim is to have the first 4 most at risk groups given a first vaccine dose by the end of Feb once this is done they will look to start removing restrictions.

Is construction still working like last time?

Yep it’s work from home unless you can’t do your job from home

Construction and manufacturing continue as normal.

Won’t be many miles going on my car for a few months.

Saves me £130 a week not travelling into London. I am going to put it in a pot for a mega holiday when we have beaten this malarkey and can travel again. But also going to donate some to a charity / foodbank to help those being severely affected by this.

Saves me £130 a week not travelling into London. I am going to put it in a pot for a mega holiday when we have beaten this malarkey and can travel again. But also going to donate some to a charity / foodbank to help those being severely affected by this.
I think we all deserve a mega holiday after this is all over!

Me and the wife have also started donating to a food bank now, we just get a little extra on our shopping trips. Nothing special but the essentials. It is rewarding knowing you’re helping just a little bit for sure.

I think we all deserve a mega holiday after this is all over!

Me and the wife have also started donating to a food bank now, we just get a little extra on our shopping trips. Nothing special but the essentials. It is rewarding knowing you’re helping just a little bit for sure.
What a lot of these places are short on is sanitary stuff for women. Normally get pasta, sauce, box of tampons

Take that on ready steady cook

Worst offender is Margaret Ferrier of the SNP. After testing positive for COVID she travelled between Scotland and London by train rather than isolate.
Having been found out she has now reported herself to the police lol.
Get her sacked NOW!!!
Today she was arrested and charged with culpable and reckless conduct

Margaret Ferrier still hasn't resigned either.

See Gove was rolled out for the news this morning basically saying they don't expect to lift current restrictions until March.

Scary numbers coming out every day and at least our government has finally admitted that schools are responsible for spreading the virus not hospitality not that this really matters now. Lets just hope the kids don't lose to much by being out of school again.

Yep the knock on effects will be big.

Uni Students racking up huge debts without any of the benefits of the university experience is something that will need to be looked at down the line. I know we can't keep chucking money at everything but we told the kids to go to university because it was safe when it clearly wasn't in 1 year with fees students must be racking up about £15-20k in debt a year. Those that deferred starting for a year made a wise choice but this will clog up the system for next year and beyond.

They surely need to consider some sort of catch up plan for the summer with the primary/secondary school kids will be a tough one to get past the teachers but surely they need to look at reducing the summer break from 6 weeks to give some face to face teaching time back to kids even if it means paying the teachers a bit more to do it.

Let's just hope we can get this Vaccine rolled out quickly so this lockdown can be as short as possible as it will be much tougher mentally for people as it's winter cold dark days are harder to deal with than the long warm summer days we had first time around.

France, 500 vaccines in one week. Probably have a Gauloises between jabs :D

Just seen this on the Daily Mail website, but we can ignore that :)

UK up there with Sweden who did f' all :D

i feel for all those students, exams cancelled, university places etc.
They will have time to pull a few more statue's down and cause general havoc with all their PC bullshit and dreadful guilt for being white middle class *****.
A few months down the pits with a rottweiler snapping at their arse would be the best thing for them.

Easy when you're subsidised.

But perhaps you should catch up. The UK abolished tax on sanitary products already.

It is that completely free? Not just tax removed which is what's been protested for.

Very impressive if so.

So, I think most would agree its best schools stay shut for the time being. But of course there is much talk of a lack of digital resources such as laptops etc for online learning.
This is unprecedented times and needs unprecedented measures, so why is the BBC not being used for educational purposes say from 09.00 to 15.00 to assist with home learning? They have enough channels as well as the Red Button.

The BBC will start being used next week Monday. Was announced yesterday. Not as long but I imagine their is scope to extend if it gets enough interest.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let’s just hope it’s not to long out of the schools for the kids but it had to be done.

There’s talk of teachers being moved up priority lists for the vaccine.

Found out today a lad I went to school with has been in hospital for 6 days due to Covid he’s a personal trainer/power lifter so he’s in reasonably good health. Good news is he seems to be recovering well so hopefully he’ll be out soon.

Let’s just hope it’s not to long out of the schools for the kids but it had to be done.

There’s talk of teachers being moved up priority lists for the vaccine.

Found out today a lad I went to school with has been in hospital for 6 days due to Covid he’s a personal trainer/power lifter so he’s in reasonably good health. Good news is he seems to be recovering well so hopefully he’ll be out soon.
I seem to recall as we were coming out the first lockdown you were a strong advocate of getting all educational centres reopened and full of pupils/students. That was a bit of a disaster if you ask me.
I suspect, given your missus job your were swung by a desire to maximise the household income. Yet you take every opportunity to slag the government off and offer your opinions on where they have mismanaged everything.

I seem to recall as we were coming out the first lockdown you were a strong advocate of getting all educational centres reopened and full of pupils/students. That was a bit of a disaster if you ask me.
I suspect, given your missus job your were swung by a desire to maximise the household income. Yet you take every opportunity to slag the government off and offer your opinions on where they have mismanaged everything.

I think we had to try and I always said I’m happy shutting pubs and shops if it means keeping schools open and schools did everything they could to make them safe as safe as possible but they are fighting an uphill battle.

I think it’s two part really schools were obviously a breeding ground for Covid once it gets in it will spread you can’t stop that but this new strain was like pouring petrol on a fire it’s accelerated everything and made it unsustainable.

She is paid same for being at home or at school it makes zero difference to our income if anything it costs her more going to work due to fuel cost so you can drop that argument right now. How do you even get to that conclusion teachers have never been furloughed they’ve been working from home or at school ever since the schools closed.

I want kids in school because I realise how vital an education is and parents cannot suddenly be expected to home school and work from home. The damage done especially to the young kids through lost time may never be recovered.

Suggesting my opinion is financially motivated is poor form and in real bad taste.

I think we had to try and I always said I’m happy shutting pubs and shops if it means keeping schools open and schools did everything they could to make them safe as safe as possible but they are fighting an uphill battle.

I think it’s two part really schools were obviously a breeding ground for Covid once it gets in it will spread you can’t stop that but this new strain was like pouring petrol on a fire it’s accelerated everything and made it unsustainable.

She is paid same for being at home or at school it makes zero difference to our income if anything it costs her more going to work due to fuel cost so you can drop that argument right now. How do you even get to that conclusion teachers have never been furloughed they’ve been working from home or at school ever since the schools closed.

I want kids in school because I realise how vital an education is and parents cannot suddenly be expected to home school and work from home. The damage done especially to the young kids through lost time may never be recovered.

Suggesting my opinion is financially motivated is poor form and in real bad taste.
As you have said yourself, schools were obviously going to be a breeding ground for the virus, but not just IN schools. The kids with no symptoms all taking it home to mums and dads, siblings, aunts and uncles and the knock on effect. It was a disaster sending kids back to school regardless of efforts made to make it as Covid safe as possible (at school). Did you see your local streets at schools out time? swarms of school pupils in large groups just being kids and carefree with no covid safe measures whatsoever!
I didnt realise school teachers werent furloughed and now having that awareness I have to ask why? Couldnt go to their workplace and highly unlikely they could do their job from home.
I dont think it is poor form or bad taste to suggest your opinion may have been financially motivated at all. Since the first lockdown period many decisions from many people on different levels have made decisions putting finance above health concern.
Starting with the Government, who only take tough action when it looks like the NHS will not be able to cope, because economy is king over health and this works its way all the way down to household level.
You yourself have previously advised on here that you had concerns about the lack of Covid Safe measures in construction site offices that you went to work in. But you didnt go shouting it from the rooftops did you? and indeed you chose to stay in that environment (and get on with it)!! You made that choice for a reason(s) and it wasnt for personal or public health based reasons.
So tell us why you had acceptance of it?

I think the first strain was not spread by school children taking it home. It's the new strain that's done that.

I think the first strain was not spread by school children taking it home. It's the new strain that's done that.
That's not an argument at all. It's Covid, and that's that.
Maybe there wouldn't have been a new strain, it may have started in schools.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back