Coronavirus

Obviously site offices are normally pretty cramped spaces the one for my project is actually pretty luxurious but still the 2m rules have not been applied within the building, meeting rooms are in constant use etc. There's a lot of focus on the people working on the site keeping distanced but there's no enforcement going on in the office areas on site absolutely none.

There's still lads reporting for work with symptoms then getting the hump when they get turned away after an assessment when someone sees they're coughing.

As for the new rules is it really a surprise they've never got this thing under control more and more we've been told to go out and return to normal life the kids are back at school where social distancing is lets be honest "impossible" unless you reduce the number of kids. Weren't they all telling us last week how it's vital we all get back to our offices to save Pret a Manger from going out of business.

I mean if these rules need to come in why wait until Monday get your arse on the TV tonight emergency broadcast and get these rules in place from Friday morning don't give everyone the weekend to have one last blow out.

Sick of seeing this getting blamed on young people it's not just young people it's people across all age groups who are flaunting rules and I'll admit I've probably broken them don't even know what they are anymore to be totally honest.

Talk on the radio about the timing of the announcement, no one is talking about the fact a minister said, in parliament yesterday, the government was about to break international law.

I'm still furloughed

Fingers crossed for you. Any idea if there’ll definitely be an opening to go back to? I know the only two people I know on Furlough still are very stressed about if they’ll have a job to go back to.

It has been a tough time in general. My company have been taken over, literally yesterday so I don't know quite where I stand. I have had good fortune in that I have been in hospital 6 times in the last 4 months so I would have likely been in ssp rather than furlough. The negative is I am not there for tbe takeover

Yeah our firm did a massive round of redundancies at the end of August along with a lot of other places don't know if we've got anyone still on furlough.

All our trainees are still on Furlough but their jobs are guaranteed to come back to.

Across the group we have had 80 redundancies half of which were on furlough. At least I haven't been so far. Under normal circumstances I would expect not to be made redundant but they all know I have had health problems and that will come in to the equation I would think.

hope teh health problems and work works out for you.

We have had a round of redundancies. Projects cancelled, looks a bit bleak at the moment, but we have just put in a few fee bids.

Across the group we have had 80 redundancies half of which were on furlough. At least I haven't been so far. Under normal circumstances I would expect not to be made redundant but they all know I have had health problems and that will come in to the equation I would think.

It shouldn't but sadly it does especially if it's new faces that don't really know you making the decisions.

I suppose all you can do is fingers crossed. Have you been there long? I’d assume they aren’t allowed to take health conditions in to account legally? (Though sure they can find ways around it) And with you being on furlough none of the hospital time can count against you as medical days off?

Come November the country will probably see the biggest round of redundancies it’s ever had.

Yeah I have around 24 years unbroken service. I think this is the reason I haven't been laid off so far. The last 3 or 4 weeks have been the best I have felt for 5 months. I put in a phone call for my consultant to ring me back to discuss if I can return to work. Once I have that information I will speak to my superiors

Redundancy is basically a mechanism for getting rid of a role that you no longer require not a person so your health shouldn't ever come into the equation if you are the only person in that role because if they make you redundant they can't just give someone else your job.

So redundancy normally means pooling a group of people all doing the same job together into a group and saying we have 10 people in this position in the business we now only need 5 therefore we need to let 5 people go and most companies will have a line manager carry out a scoring matrix of some sort to determine who the strongest candidates are. Being signed off for medical reasons I'm pretty sure is not allowed to be considered when making that decision over redundancy.

If you're signed off for a long period and it's having an impact on how a business runs then they can go down other routes but I don't think redundancy allows that

Yeah I have around 24 years unbroken service. I think this is the reason I haven't been laid off so far. The last 3 or 4 weeks have been the best I have felt for 5 months. I put in a phone call for my consultant to ring me back to discuss if I can return to work. Once I have that information I will speak to my superiors
Good to hear you are feeling better and hope that recovery continues. More important than the job but hopefully you will also return to work and move into 2021 in much better fettle altogether as it’s going to be a good year for United as well.
You should take up cooking your own healthy food from some of the great menus available online. It becomes a very enjoyable thing to do once you get into it. I’m at it all the time now.

With 24 years unbroken service I’d assume you’re going to score well on any redundancy matrix. As long as no disciplinary in the last 5 years.

Glad to hear you’re feeling better than you have done!

Good to hear you’re feeling better, long may that continue.

I was made redundant before COVID but managed to squeeze 9 more months out of them so luckily that took me through the lockdown period and left them at the end of June.

You imagine the furlough scheme has to be extended in some capacity past October if cases start to rise and we get further restrictions - the unemployment rate is going to be unprecedented. I saw a stat today that a lot of other countries furlough scheme is being extended into 2021. I haven’t seen it but I think Starmer brought up this point today about other countries furlough scheme.

I think there will be something but it will be announced last minute the furlough scheme lasted 6 months the reality is now lots of these jobs don’t exist anymore and won’t exist for a long time. It won’t be anywhere near as generous as the current scheme either. It will also be limited to industries that are still being restricted by Covid measures.

So it’s not a job retention scheme anymore as so many people just won’t be going back to work. I saw a stat that 300,000 applications for redundancy were made in June/July and that’s just the start.

The changes to social gatherings make sense and tightening the laws to allow them to be properly enforced has to be a good thing.

I think Boris put in a way that he didn’t want people in a state of limbo and wanted people to be able to get back to work. Let’s face it, the position will change constantly

This government needs to get with the programme. The work place has changed, the future of work is now different. For office workers I don't ever see it being how it was yet they seem determined to try. They need to look forwards and take advantage in different ways. I have more disposable income now as a result of not commuting so I'll spend in other ways.

I guess the riots will be starting on our streets again with the bad boys fighting for their right party. Fools, all of them!

I assume all of this is partly about putting an end to such protest and riots. Surrounded by more than 5 other people here is your fine. Enjoy.

I genuinely thought the 6 people rule was already in place. So couldn’t really care about the change.

Think it was 6 people inside but up to 30 outside as long as you were still distancing which lets be honest probably isn't happening if you've got 30 people in your back garden.

The change was mainly to make it easier for the police to enforce from what I understand. It's a lot clearer now no social gathering of more than 6 people.

Boris giving it the big one if we do that we can beat the virus by Christmas while the scientific advisor basically gave the look of the man who's accepted Christmas is cancelled.

Still seems odd that you can play 5 a-side with your mates for an hour but you then can't sit and have a beer together straight afterwards but that's life I guess now.

Christmas isn’t happening. They made it clear this is here until the end of Winter.

Coronavirus infections surge by 60% in England with 3,200 new cases each day according to official estimates!!
From lockdown recovery we are certainly now on the back foot, in my opinion if folk don't wisen up there will be many more deaths to come from this virus.
It's unlikely there would be a further total lockdown as the country would largely collapse, so many will be considered dispensable as the alternative.

So we are now an independent trading nation having struck a deal in principle with Japan

WRONG THREAD - supposed to be in the Brexit thread :rolleyes:

A rise was to be expected as more return to work, kids return to schools people return to bars, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, shopping centres and everything else that has re-opened in the last few weeks. Does feel like they need to really put the squeeze back on as we head into the autumn and winter months to make sure we avoid a lockdown.

Apparently track and trace app will be up and running in 2 weeks time but it's not going to work because I think there's to many selfish people in this country who won't follow the advice and isolate if they get told to.

To many people will not isolate when told they have to I know someone who's daughter has shown symptoms they are all getting tested and are 99% certain it isn't covid. Whatever these tests say he has to isolate for 14 days but he's basically admitted to me that he won't. There are just to many people like this is the UK for it to work.

This isn't the time for putting on a brave face and soldiering on through the sniffles like many of us do every winter these rules need to be followed.

again Boris was full of ship in PMQ, kept saying Kier wasn't supporting the NHS by asking why it just wasn't working.

Rate is going up here fast, our region has just gone red.

@jsp, you say whatever the test says he has to self isolate? if t.eh test is negative why isolate.

@Mr C I've got that wrong those were the old rules if his kid passes a test then they don't need to isolate.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back