Coronavirus

It takes two weeks for quarantine to take effect. Hence Italy is showing slight signs of improvement, two weeks after it started. The UK will keep on doubling for two weeks. They could have started this two weeks ago. Boris has been wishy washy. He needed to show firm leadership and didn't.

Still tube trains packed.

Like I say, I hope you're right, but looking at Italy and Spain, I worry.

And Boris said a week ago no one should be going out unless essential. People just failed to listen. You can't blame Boris because people need things to pass as law instead of being able to listen when told to stay at home. I don't think you can currently say France Germany Italy or Spain handled it better than the UK. As I said only time will tell but I think there's a lot of deflection going on in the French media if they're making out like it's being handled badly over here. Boris has done a fantastic job in the last 9 days in my opinion time will tell if i'm wrong there.

You cannot blame the government for everything. People need to use their own common sense, even two weeks ago I was limiting my contact and thinking twice before even going to the shops. The problem is, people have this attitude of oh it won’t happen to me or I’m fit and healthy. Perhaps things should have been done earlier but we are not a country of toddlers - just use your common sense.

It's about using common sense. The guy with his daughters is fine to be in the park playing if it's just them 3 and they aren't socializing with anyone else. It's about creating house to house boundaries and not giving it to anyone else or receiving it from anyone else from a different household. For me it's all a bit impractical anyway as I live with a teacher and a pharmacist. But other than getting out the house for an hour in the evening with the dog there really is no need to go out and I wont be. My fridge is stocked up with the weeks shopping I need. Also there's nothing to do anyway!

Not quite that simple as the virus can live on metal so if your kid touches the equipment then their face there's a chance it passes on part of breaking the chain is also restricting the number of things each little unit of people touch. As long as they was their hands properly as soon as they get home and don't touch their face they'll probably be fine but apparently kids shouldn't be going into public play areas as part of the daily exercise it's a walk or a cycle with the family really.

Yeah I have no real intention of going anywhere for the next few days got plenty of food still technically in isolation until Friday but I did walk the dog alone yesterday afternoon that will be my exercise for the next few weeks.

You can only blame the government for one thing really which was the initial stance which they quickly back tracked on they should never have put this herd immunity thing out in public but since they they've got their act together to some extent and slowly put provisions in place. I certainly think events Cheltenham should have been shut down and that Liverpool game should have been behind closed doors but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think they could have prepared quicker for what looked inevitable and got us into this lockdown stage sooner and certainly got a testing regime setup much sooner. When he asked us to stop going to pubs and restaurants the message should have been for these businesses to close immediately there was no reason to wait another few days as you will always have a group who won't listen until they're told.

You could also easily accuse them of not investing properly in NHS over their decade in power which may have made it more resilient to this sort of situation or not cut the number of police which might have made enforcing things like this a bit easier.

It's not the French media, it's me looking at the differences.

He should not have given the option, he said don't go to pubs, but didn't close them. Didn't close the schools soon enough when Europe thinks it's children spreading it without showing symptoms. I know it's a rumour and he's denied it, but the Guardian reported Dominic Cummings more or less said to use herd immunity even if old people die. It's not just old people dying, 50% if hospitalisations here are under 60.

I look at Macrons press conference, strong leadership with defined rules, compared to Boris, who didn't seem to want to take responsibilty.

He had plenty of time to look at Italy an take action. He decided to follow a very similar route.

From afar, looking from the outside, he's done everything wrong he possibly could.

phone in on R5 now, people phoming in not knowing what to do because of the gov mixed messages.

The TV shows and phone ins are ridiculous though. It's no different to the sport phone ins. Any of us could sit as the expert on the panel and give them the answers they need. The message from Boris is very clear and anyone who needs it spelling out any further is being an idiot.

I just don't see with the current numbers how France Spain and Germany can be held as doing anything correctly and the UK not. We'll see in weeks to come but the UK aren't 14 days behind the French. As everyone said the stupidity of Cummings to mention herd immunity was beyond belief however the very following day was when they started clearly addressing the situation.

And Macron may be saying the right things but that doesn't help if the death toll continues to rise as it is in France in the last few days. It isn't really what they say on camera that'll demand if this is a 'success' (there are no winners here) but how the death rates spiral, health systems cope and economies bounce back.

I don't think he has been 100% clear with what he said especially early on but I think the message on Monday night was clear and my guess is he'll be back out again to reinforce the message and provide further clarifications.

The death tolls will continue to rise over the next few weeks this was not done to keep it at it's current level it was to mitigate the levels that will come if do nothing. We will never know what the numbers in Italy would look like if they hadn't gone into lockdown but the science suggests a lot lot worse.

I think the death tolls will rise unfortunately but hopefully after the three week lockdown, numbers of infections and deaths will go down.

There is no way in my opinion we will be coming out of lockdown after three weeks. I expect it to be at least May before we come out of it. Restrictions could be relaxed slightly but cannot see it right now - especially how people continue to flout the rules. The country just has to treat this is as their norm for the next weeks/months. A few months inside to save lives isn’t too much to ask.

I Went for my parents shopping around 9:30 and that was okay but there were so many people on the streets on the way back. I had the window down and heard a woman ask a stranger for a cigarette. Madness. I think the exercise exception may have to be curtailed. Still too many people out and about

You’ll see the suicide rate shoot up if you ban people from going for a half hour walk. And you should add those to the Corona toll. You cannot at any point expect people to sit inside for 3 months whilst this blows over.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going for a walk alone. Not engaging with anyone and keeping a safe distance.

And you’re going to see many people out and about. Many doing the shopping for others. Key workers on their way to and from work.

I know it’s hard. I was just shocked at how many were out. I don’t mean stopped altogether, more restricted or planned if possible

I just don't see with the current numbers how France Spain and Germany can be held as doing anything correctly and the UK not. We'll see in weeks to come but the UK aren't 14 days behind the French. As everyone said the stupidity of Cummings to mention herd immunity was beyond belief however the very following day was when they started clearly addressing the situation.

Spain has definitley done it wrong.

France were also a little slow, as I mentioned, it takes two-three weeks from confinement to reach it's peak, so we should see the French peak soon, a few days or so, until then numbers will double every two or three days. Then that figure should start to reduce. We were told last night lockdown will last until 28th Apr, or at least it will be reviewed then.

You can exercise here on your own, within 1km of your house for a max of 1 hour. If you've got your form filled in that will be ok.

Only time will tell on Boris, but just asking people to do things won't work, proven by his down go to the pub message, he needed and needs to be stronger. The people on the radio were told their business counted as a key work, but they were shut down by the police. The banks have been told to loan businesses people and the gov will underwrite them, the banks are not doing that. Self employed people are getting nothing. Last week Matt Hancock was questioned on TV about the NHS PPE, he said most had it and those who didn't would have it by the weekend. But they haven't got it. And what about all people who work in care.

A 21-year-old with no pre-existing health conditions has died after contracting coronavirus in the UK.

if you have the money to buy them. And if they come back negatie, then what.

I guess if you come back negative then you’ll still be confined to lockdown. Also they only assume you won’t get it twice but that’s not a certainty - although getting it twice in quick succession is unlikely.

So does that mean I should call 111 and report my symptoms so I get a test kit?

I've been sat at home for a week with symptoms but the advice told me to stay home and only report things if they got worse which they didn't.

I assume they'll be free can't see how the government can charge for a test.

So does that mean I should call 111 and report my symptoms so I get a test kit?

I've been sat at home for a week with symptoms but the advice told me to stay home and only report things if they got worse which they didn't.

I assume they'll be free can't see how the government can charge for a test.
Have they got better?

Have they got better?

Still no sense of taste/smell and feeling quite tired.

Fever lasted about a day and the coughing never really developing into anything serious have the odd cough here and there which in normal circumstances you'd think nothing of.

Still no sense of taste/smell and feeling quite tired.

Fever lasted about a day and the coughing never really developing into anything serious have the odd cough here and there which in normal circumstances you'd think nothing of.
Well hopefully it clears up soon, I am fine now other than paranoia and probably over thinking things

You cannot blame the government for everything. People need to use their own common sense, even two weeks ago I was limiting my contact and thinking twice before even going to the shops. The problem is, people have this attitude of oh it won’t happen to me or I’m fit and healthy. Perhaps things should have been done earlier but we are not a country of toddlers - just use your common sense.
My government has literally been telling people they should go to work and use mass transit even if they feel sick because it's no worse than the seasonal flu (that kills tens of thousands annually), it will go away by itself when the weather warms up, and it's all a Democratic hoax to try and impeach the President again. I wish I was joking or being hyperbolic, but I'm not. And now Trump's business cronies are urging him to lift restrictions and allow people to return to work because it is better to let the workers/immigrants/minorities/Democrats die from Covid19 than it is to let the stock market crater (now I'm being hyperbolic).

Aren't the democrats holding up legislation to allow medical supplied to be delivered though?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Aren't the democrats holding up legislation to allow medical supplied to be delivered though?
No. They did a procedural move to stop 500 billion dollars from going into a slush fund with zero strings attached. It was not medical supplies but monetary relief. In 2009 when we bailed out the auto industry and the banks, there were no strings attached to the money, and that resulted in bonuses to executives, increasing executive pay, laying off workers, stock buy-backs, and mergers. In other words, they exploited the largesse and exploited the good will of the public. We also allowed over one million people to lose their homes during that crisis. So this time, they decided to put some rules in place - rules the Republicans desperately wanted to avoid.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back