Coronavirus

And last week the new strain was more transmissible but less deadly, best avoiding the news now, I don't believe half of it.

I didn't see that last week.

But half the problem is people not believing what's going on. There's a reason us and America have the major problems and it's because too many people are just refusing to believe it.

I didn't see that last week.

But half the problem is people not believing what's going on. There's a reason us and America have the major problems and it's because too many people are just refusing to believe it.
If you gathered up every bit of information printed about Covid since March it would read like the ramblings of someone who is severely mentally ill. "masks are useless, wash your hands, no actually wear your mask or we'll fine you, stay at home unless it's Christmas, go back out but only drink if you're eating a substantial meal or Covid will get you" the most ridiculous things I've read are that you can catch it from cats and other peoples FARTS!!! My advice would be sit in the house, light the fire and ignore the news. Government is gonna keep this going until there's no economy left so get used to your surroundings, we'll have plenty of time at home when there is no work to go to.

Thing you have to realise with new strains is the key word is new until they’ve been studied over time any thing you read is a prediction based on scientific guesswork from how previous strains behaved.

One reason for it being more deadly is it puts more pressure on your hospitals more cases means more hospital cases means more deaths. That’s why we’ve had to lockdown again because we can’t allow this version to be active.

I know it’s not nice to see but I’m glad they’ve finally started putting ads on tv showing what Covid looks like on the front line it might seem like a scare tactic but some people need to see the reality and stop denying its existence.

Arnold Schwarzenegger summed it up yesterday listen to experts in the field not Facebook. If you have a heart attack you don’t login to Facebook you call the emergency services to help you.

If you gathered up every bit of information printed about Covid since March it would read like the ramblings of someone who is severely mentally ill. "masks are useless, wash your hands, no actually wear your mask or we'll fine you, stay at home unless it's Christmas, go back out but only drink if you're eating a substantial meal or Covid will get you" the most ridiculous things I've read are that you can catch it from cats and other peoples FARTS!!! My advice would be sit in the house, light the fire and ignore the news. Government is gonna keep this going until there's no economy left so get used to your surroundings, we'll have plenty of time at home when there is no work to go to.

The government dropped the ballot the start and didn’t take it seriously they thought it was a joke and it never got here so rather than get ready just in case they did the opposite. Some of the policies have been mad but they’ve spent to long trying to win PR wars rather than health wars. It’s ridiculous that we haven’t had strict border controls since March we are an island we should have been using that to our advantage from day one.

I’d suggest you stick to reading reliable news sources not random links online.

Why do you think the government want to trash the economy? Will the economy function if huge chunks of your work force are sick? Your infrastructures that allow the economy to function will collapse.

Arnold Schwarzenegger summed it up yesterday listen to experts in the field not Facebook. If you have a heart attack you don’t login to Facebook you call the emergency services to help you.

That was the first thing i've shared to facebook in almost two years. Ignore much of what the Government are saying if you'd like but don't ignore what the Scientist and Doctors are saying.

The government dropped the ballot the start and didn’t take it seriously they thought it was a joke and it never got here so rather than get ready just in case they did the opposite. Some of the policies have been mad but they’ve spent to long trying to win PR wars rather than health wars. It’s ridiculous that we haven’t had strict border controls since March we are an island we should have been using that to our advantage from day one.

I’d suggest you stick to reading reliable news sources not random links online.

Why do you think the government want to trash the economy? Will the economy function if huge chunks of your work force are sick? Your infrastructures that allow the economy to function will collapse.
Their "one size fits all" lockdown will / is crippling the economy, there has been no strategy from day 1, and people voted these Tory scumbags in in a landslide in Dec 2019 to, you reap what you sew I guess.

That was the first thing i've shared to facebook in almost two years. Ignore much of what the Government are saying if you'd like but don't ignore what the Scientist and Doctors are saying.
The scientists said not to worry about wearing a mask for months, sorry I don't trust them either. Their projected numbers are overstated fear mongering also.

The scientists said not to worry about wearing a mask for months, sorry I don't trust them either. Their projected numbers are overstated fear mongering also.

A mask is something that makes a small difference but it’s the small differences that add up to a big one and during a lockdown when we are all supposed to be staying at home early on masks would made no real difference.

No one has ever claimed a mask gives you 100% protection it just helps you if you are unable to maintain the 2m gap to someone. There’s a reason doctors/nurses wear them in hospital.

I think the reason masks weren’t introduced early on was we didn’t have enough if it was something people already had they would have told us to wear one from day one.

What has science got to gain from fear? They have to make guesses based on models that give best and worst case scenarios science is the pursuit of fact doesn’t mean they always agree with each other until something is proven beyond doubt.

Go back and listen to the scientists at the start. They said this virus was serious, they told us it would inevitably reach these shores, they told us to lockdown, they told us lockdowns would last months not weeks and that a vaccine would take a year. Generally the scientists have got it right but we have a government that won’t always listen to them as they try to consider the economic impact of these decisions.

A mask is something that makes a small difference but it’s the small differences that add up to a big one and during a lockdown when we are all supposed to be staying at home early on masks would made no real difference.

No one has ever claimed a mask gives you 100% protection it just helps you if you are unable to maintain the 2m gap to someone. There’s a reason doctors/nurses wear them in hospital.

I think the reason masks weren’t introduced early on was we didn’t have enough if it was something people already had they would have told us to wear one from day one.

What has science got to gain from fear? They have to make guesses based on models that give best and worst case scenarios science is the pursuit of fact doesn’t mean they always agree with each other until something is proven beyond doubt.

Go back and listen to the scientists at the start. They said this virus was serious, they told us it would inevitably reach these shores, they told us to lockdown, they told us lockdowns would last months not weeks and that a vaccine would take a year. Generally the scientists have got it right but we have a government that won’t always listen to them as they try to consider the economic impact of these decisions.
I disagree on all of that, we need to coexist with this virus, the elderly and most vulnerable shutdown, the young, reasonably healthy and economically active have to get back out there and get the country running again. And in parallel with that get the vaccination programme cranked up.

I disagree on all of that, we need to coexist with this virus, the elderly and most vulnerable shutdown, the young, reasonably healthy and economically active have to get back out there and get the country running again. And in parallel with that get the vaccination programme cranked up.

I think this plan worked to an extent until the new strain arrived it isn’t possible to protect the vulnerable and the numbers rocketed at a rate that would cause death rates to rocket and the economy to falter.

Vaccinations will speed up but supply is limited especially now other countries are vaccinating and there’s now doubt over the 12 week gap between jabs it may need to be reduced to 6 which means bringing forward second jabs.

Once we have enough people protected by the vaccine then we can try to coexist with it as it won’t be going away but with this version to many die if you don’t take the extreme measures it sucks but that’s the way it is.

Pretty annoying that as a country we're now having to ask famous people to put together a campaign to dispell the myths/fake news around the Vaccines.
Its more annoying that its presumed that people will listen to these half baked celebs lol. So if someone has genuine concerns about getting the jab, whether it will work, what are the side effects, could it affect you if you're planning to start a family etc, they should listen to a comedian, tv presenter or cricketer lol? Yeah I feel reassured now, their scientific credentials aren't to be doubted.

To be fair the idiots will listen to Mr. Joe Bloggs the site labourer whose done his research on YouTube over a medical professional or scientist so they probably will have their minds changed by a celebrity too.

To be fair the idiots will listen to Mr. Joe Bloggs the site labourer whose done his research on YouTube over a medical professional or scientist so they probably will have their minds changed by a celebrity too.
So people who have concerns about something they are injecting into their blood stream are idiots? Nice.

People that listen to Facebook experts over the medical experts then spread the nonsense they know nothing about on facebook are idiots.

If you have genuine concerns regarding getting the vaccination. Speak to your doctor instead of using Facebook for it.

People that listen to Facebook experts over the medical experts then spread the nonsense they know nothing about on facebook are idiots.

If you have genuine concerns regarding getting the vaccination. Speak to your doctor instead of using Facebook for it.
I'm not nor have ever been on Facebook, I do my own research. And when they advise pregnant women and children not to get the vaccination I think its healthy to keep a bit of scepticism about what exactly is being put into our bodies.

that's becasue it hasn't been tested on them, not because it's dangerous for others.

Also there is a reason you don't give children adult drugs in general, you use calpol not paracetamol for a reason.

I'm not nor have ever been on Facebook, I do my own research. And when they advise pregnant women and children not to get the vaccination I think its healthy to keep a bit of scepticism about what exactly is being put into our bodies.

As Mr. C above says. The reason they advise pregnant women and children not to get the vaccine is that it's not been tested on pregnant women or children.

Are you a pregnant woman or a child?

By all means. Be sceptical. What research have you done that suggests you shouldn't get the vaccine?

There are also many things pregnant women should avoid such as caffeine and alcohol. Do you avoid those at all times too you know just to be careful about what you're putting in your body?

Its more annoying that its presumed that people will listen to these half baked celebs lol. So if someone has genuine concerns about getting the jab, whether it will work, what are the side effects, could it affect you if you're planning to start a family etc, they should listen to a comedian, tv presenter or cricketer lol? Yeah I feel reassured now, their scientific credentials aren't to be doubted.

I guess the aim is if these people won't listen to the experts maybe they'll listen to a famous person who's respected in their community rather than some theory based on little to no evidence that's been passed around facebook or whatapp in an attempt to spread mis-information. If the Vaccine was potentially dangerous to us it would never get signed off for use and the vast majority of anti-vaccination theories have been widely discredited by further scientific research as a result of these concerns.

One of the myths they're having to get out of peoples heads is Bill Gates is puttin a micro-chip in your vaccine. I mean if you're stupid enough to believe that you probably shouldn't be allowed to leave your own house anyway you're the reason we have DO NOT DRINK written on bottles of bleach or CAUTION HOT on cups of coffee.

This culture of challenging experts is very dangerous.

Anyway back to Covid seems like we're finally shutting our borders but only to "high risk" covid countries. I myself cannot believe we aren't going for a blanket ban if you come into the UK now it's 10 days in a hotel which you pay for and until we are all vaccinated those rules stay in place.

that's becasue it hasn't been tested on them, not because it's dangerous for others.

Also there is a reason you don't give children adult drugs in general, you use calpol not paracetamol for a reason.
Kids get vaccinated multiple times throughout childhood, fail to see why they wouldn't get the Covid vaccination.

As Mr. C above says. The reason they advise pregnant women and children not to get the vaccine is that it's not been tested on pregnant women or children.

Are you a pregnant woman or a child?

By all means. Be sceptical. What research have you done that suggests you shouldn't get the vaccine?

There are also many things pregnant women should avoid such as caffeine and alcohol. Do you avoid those at all times too you know just to be careful about what you're putting in your body?
If it's safe there's no reason a pregnant woman shouldn't be advised to take the vaccine, the things you mention have potential to harm the baby as they're addictive substances (although caffeine in moderate amounts is fine).

How could they possibly know the effects of a vaccine on a pregnant woman if they haven't tested it? Hence why they aren't allowing it.

However they have tested it on non pregnant people and it's safe. Again I am making the assumption you aren't a pregnant woman.

I guess the aim is if these people won't listen to the experts maybe they'll listen to a famous person who's respected in their community rather than some theory based on little to no evidence that's been passed around facebook or whatapp in an attempt to spread mis-information. If the Vaccine was potentially dangerous to us it would never get signed off for use and the vast majority of anti-vaccination theories have been widely discredited by further scientific research as a result of these concerns.

One of the myths they're having to get out of peoples heads is Bill Gates is puttin a micro-chip in your vaccine. I mean if you're stupid enough to believe that you probably shouldn't be allowed to leave your own house anyway you're the reason we have DO NOT DRINK written on bottles of bleach or CAUTION HOT on cups of coffee.

This culture of challenging experts is very dangerous.

Anyway back to Covid seems like we're finally shutting our borders but only to "high risk" covid countries. I myself cannot believe we aren't going for a blanket ban if you come into the UK now it's 10 days in a hotel which you pay for and until we are all vaccinated those rules stay in place.
The Bill Gates conspiracy theory is beyond ridiculous, laughable.

How could they possibly know the effects of a vaccine on a pregnant woman if they haven't tested it? Hence why they aren't allowing it.

However they have tested it on non pregnant people and it's safe. Again I am making the assumption you aren't a pregnant woman.
Lol read back what you said and see how ridiculous it is, a pregnant woman is still a person, if it's safe, it's safe, and would be for a pregnant woman.

Pregnant women are also advised against taking the MMR and BCG vaccines until after given birth.

It normal for pregnant women to be advised against vaccines.

Certainly not the ridiculous one here. Anti vaxxers generally don't know what it is there scared of. If you or I saw the list of ingredients we wouldn't know many of them or how they react. That's why we have medical and scientific experts to advise us

The Vaccine needs to be tested in clinical trials I'm guessing there's not many women rushing to come forward for medical trials when they're carrying a child therefore if you haven't got the evidence to prove it's safe you can't give it to them. Are they even allowed to test these things on pregnant women?

I believe during pregnancy doctors are always reluctant to suggest you take any medication unless it is essential because of the risks involved that is perfectly normal.

Anyone planning to start a family now probably needs to accept that should they get pregnant they will have to wait until after pregnancy to get a vaccine but that is a risk you take.

Positive news about a potential 4th Vaccine coming out today it's not yet approved but it's shown it's effective against the strain of Covid currently in the UK.

First scare in our household, someone my wife works with has been having symptoms so is getting a test and my wife has been feeling a little unwell so is getting a test this evening to. Fingers crossed all okay!

Fingers crossed mate.

In general terms it's good to see the government actually nailing something and getting this Vaccine out quickly but it's alarming to hear about these new variants that could be resistant which will delay re-opening as boosters will be required.

Still baffles me that we have allowed people to travel in and out of the UK without strict quarantines in hotels since March last year. Our biggest defence against Covid is we're a small island surely we could have massively controlled the way people come in and out with only freight and hauliers crossing in and out without hotel quaranties.

First scare in our household, someone my wife works with has been having symptoms so is getting a test and my wife has been feeling a little unwell so is getting a test this evening to. Fingers crossed all okay!

It’s more scary than you think when something likes this happens. I hope everything will be okay

good luck SuperRash :(

I think the whole vaccine thing globally is a problem

As is being proven, no point Britain being first and then sticking two fingers at the EU, because of all the variants.

There should be a global program, get everyone done then chances of variants is reduced massively.

Think most of the bigger nations are looking to home first then preparing to be part of a larger worldwide effort as a lot of countries are going to need financial support to pay for vaccination programmes. I mean at some point surely they're all going to gang up on China and get them to start paying for vaccination programmes in other nations... good luck with that.

For everyone the world will have to become a smaller space in terms of travel for social reasons for a few years.

good luck SuperRash :(

I think the whole vaccine thing globally is a problem

As is being proven, no point Britain being first and then sticking two fingers at the EU, because of all the variants.

There should be a global program, get everyone done then chances of variants is reduced massively.

But yeah get all our vulnerable done and out the way first. Of course it makes complete sense. Especially when you consider we are one of the worst hit nations in the world.

Do you think it it was the other way around countries would be saying ahh we'll wait to vaccine our vulnerable you go ahead first UK. The only thing they've got correct so far is the vaccine. But that's probably to do with the fact the Army not the government have been in charge of the rollout.

Fingers crossed SuperRash. Hope all are okay.

Yeah I see on the news we've got about 20% of the adult population done in terms of the first dose but we've only got 1% who've had both so at some point the first number will stop going up as quickly while we get everyone the second dose they need.

The positives I guess are the cases are way down on where we were a month ago as are the number of people in hospital so the trend is following the same pattern. Also, seems like the Vaccine seems to show early signs that it reduces your ability to spread the virus but the data on that is still a bit sketchy from what I've heard as those being vaccinated are not really people who would be spreading the virus normally.

The way the new variants spread quicker probably snooker us in terms of re-opening closed businesses but hopefully they can start getting the kids back in school from next month. The schools now have testing kits so they should be able to be a lot more active in testing and tracing kids who may not even know they have it and catching them quicker and getting them to stay home.

Sounds like this time they're going for a national re-opening model accepting the tiered structures don't really work in terms of the control measures as travel restrictions between tiers don't work.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back