Coronavirus in sport

Okay. You said 'by june' numerous times and used 'end of may' as an important time phase other times. I'm the one who changes the goalpost though.

As I said fingers crossed your hopes of optimism are well founded. The death toll was in the 600 hundreds yesterday. It's far too early for any of this.
No I didn't. I said end of May for coming out of lock down and much of industry returning to work to reboot the economy. I said June for football recommencing.

If you are going to throw shit around you should be prepared to take some back sonny boy.
I did not say EVERYONE will be returning to work. Yes I think football will be back by June, time will tell. What does the JRS being backdated to the 1st of March actually mean? Anybody who's employment was under threat due to Covid 19 on 1st March please put their hands up. Who at that stage had been given notice of redundacy due to it?

This is ridiculous. There you go. Now for everyones sake lets drop it. It isn't of any importance. When football returns will be a happy day for everyone.

This is ridiculous. There you go. Now for everyones sake lets drop it. It isn't of any importance. When football returns will be a happy day for everyone.
You have just confirmed back to me that I said I think football will be back in June. Not within 29 days.
I don't know what your getting at but I agree you should drop it as you appear to be tying yourself up in knots in your attempts to manipulate what i have said into something else. Truly ridiculous.

Okay in June and by June are two very different things to me but obviously not you. If someone in the office told me something would be done by May and I was still waiting on it i'd be fairly annoyed with them. However as previously said I think it's highly unlikely in both instances though. But I look forward to a beer and a football match that isn't introduced by the Old Trafford stadium announcer. It was bugging me that I knew the voice of FIFA 20 and couldn't work out where from. The very same person!

I'm not in any knots or trying to manipulate anything you're saying. We just disagree on semantics. On Thursday we shall know a little more about our exit plan. However Boris on Monday didn't seem very cheery about anything beginning to open up much.

If a league football match is played by 30th June then football will have returned by June. It is as simple as that.

As I said we disagree on that.

Hungary eases lockdown and allows Citizens of the Czech Republic, Poland, the Republic of Korea, Germany, Austria and Slovakia to travel freely in to the country without restriction. First flights from Budapest to Berlin started today.

However it extends it's ban on events / gatherings of over 500 people until the end of August. The F1 race should have been on the 2nd of August. This marks another one off of the calendar.

Do you think the F1 season is a write off?
How short could they make the season?
It’s why I think uefa are panicking they surely know champions league matches could be off the table for a while

Lampard thinks neutral stadiums questions the integrity of the sport.
Brighton and West Ham have opposed the idea. In Brighton’s case this is fair enough as four of their home games are against the big sides. Whack these four games in a neutral venue and you would say all four would probably be losses. Whereas at home they would have a better chance. The integrity of the competition has to remain intact despite how much everyone wants the season restarted.

I actually think we’ll get some sort of season in F1. Back to back races on the same weekends. From memory 8 races is the cut off point for it to be classed as a season with a championship handed out but that’s doesn’t mean it has to be 8 different venues.

Liberty Media have just shuffled things around to get hold of some serious cash reserves to help save the smaller teams.

Brighton and West Ham have opposed the idea. In Brighton’s case this is fair enough as four of their home games are against the big sides. Whack these four games in a neutral venue and you would say all four would probably be losses. Whereas at home they would have a better chance. The integrity of the competition has to remain intact despite how much everyone wants the season restarted.

This is the thing PL isn’t going to make a decision itself it will come to a vote 20 teams all with fixed agendas and normally when they votes its 2/3 majority which means 14 teams need to approve the plan.

Bigger clubs obviously try to apply pressure to get their own way but it doesn’t always work as we saw with that stupid decision to shut transfer windows early which they’ve just revoked.

The integrity of the competition is already out the window behind closed doors a 2 month mid season break has changed the playing field for everyone. Anything they can come up with to finish games is not about integrity it’s about money these clubs need money to survive and fast bad cash flow kills businesses currently the PL clubs will be burning through cash reserves at warp speed. They might be selling it as integrity but really it’s survival the pressure to resume is 100% financial.

Currently they are looking at a potential refund of 20-25% on tv deals and ticket revenues if games aren’t played sponsorship possibly but they may be able to wriggle out of that one.

We might be able to finish the prem in say July/August but what about championship/league one/league two there’s no way those leagues are coming back at the same time and if the PL finishes but they don’t can we relegate/promote teams? I don’t believe any club was over the line in terms of promotion yet. I don’t really see how the football league even happens next season either without fans the finances in that league don’t work.

It was the players who eventually got leagues shutdown in Italy and other countries it’ll be them who decide when it’s safe to resume.

As I said we disagree on that.
Ok, well I will put it another way in an effort to help you understand it. If a football league game is played before July then it will have been played by June. Agreed?
I trust that puts it to bed.

Aguero says he players are scared about returning too early.
Maybe it will interfere with his social life like his fellow Argentinian

Lampard thinks neutral stadiums questions the integrity of the sport.
I don't think neutral stadiums is a good idea, nothing to do with integrity, I just don't think it is necessary. Apparently the basis is they think fans would flock to stadiums, surely not. Surely, folk can be sufficiently briefed and educated on what is required to allow the games to happen and get compliance. Yes I guess there would be a few idiots, we have them now without football.

Ok, well I will put it another way in an effort to help you understand it. If a football league game is played before July then it will have been played by June. Agreed?
I trust that puts it to bed.

No. Once a second in June has passed it isn’t by then. If I tell you I’ll do something by 7 tonight and come 19:00:01 I haven’t done it then it wasn’t done by 7. What you meant to say was by the end of June. Fair enough.

As I have now repeatedly said I still don’t think that will happen. Football is just the entertainment business has no merit in restarting too early and footballers and managers aren’t wanting to hastily rush back so we can watch them run around in a mask for 90 minutes.

I don't think neutral stadiums is a good idea, nothing to do with integrity, I just don't think it is necessary. Apparently the basis is they think fans would flock to stadiums, surely not. Surely, folk can be sufficiently briefed and educated on what is required to allow the games to happen and get compliance. Yes I guess there would be a few idiots, we have them now without football.

With all 10 stadiums being used in London apparently surely the one city they should be avoiding.

In France 4,000 people turned up to see the PSG game behind closed doors. It just isn’t viable to start anything until we’re out the other side.

No. Once a second in June has passed it isn’t by then. If I tell you I’ll do something by 7 tonight and come 19:00:01 I haven’t done it then it wasn’t done by 7. What you meant to say was by the end of June. Fair enough.

As I have now repeatedly said I still don’t think that will happen. Football is just the entertainment business has no merit in restarting too early and footballers and managers aren’t wanting to hastily rush back so we can watch them run around in a mask for 90 minutes.
No, this is clearly just your wrong interpretation of things, there is something muddled in how your mind processes information as you have clearly demonstrated again.
If you tell me you will do something by 7 and you haven't done it by 19.00.01 then the likelyhood is you will be in hiding due to me chasing you for a period of 12 hours for said task.
If you are going to talk with such punctuality then in the first instance you should determine which clock you are using.

If there are no fans why use stadiums at all why not play at training grounds keep fans well away football fans don’t behave rationally some will feel compelled to go to grounds to be outside even if they can’t go inside.

I guess the idea is reducing numbers required to put on a game 10 venues rather than 20 must bring some advantages as venues will need to be modified. You could use 1 venue for 2 games per weekend for example.

Footballers now are so used to playing in different places I don’t think neutral venues will be an issue for them might be easier for them than playing at home without fans would just feel weird.

No, this is clearly just your wrong interpretation of things, there is something muddled in how your mind processes information as you have clearly demonstrated again.
If you tell me you will do something by 7 and you haven't done it by 19.00.01 then the likelyhood is you will be in hiding due to me chasing you for a period of 12 hours for said task.
If you are going to talk with such punctuality then in the first instance you should determine which clock you are using.

I only used one clock. 19:00 is still seven o’clock when written or verbally spoken.

Anyway you’re incorrect if something is to be done by June it means before June begins not ends. I now give up on responding to you on this subject as it’s a waste of my time. Any further response will be ignored. You’re arguing for the sake of arguing instead of admitting you’re wrong and I can’t be bothered.

If there are no fans why use stadiums at all why not play at training grounds keep fans well away football fans don’t behave rationally some will feel compelled to go to grounds to be outside even if they can’t go inside.

I guess the idea is reducing numbers required to put on a game 10 venues rather than 20 must bring some advantages as venues will need to be modified. You could use 1 venue for 2 games per weekend for example.

Footballers now are so used to playing in different places I don’t think neutral venues will be an issue for them might be easier for them than playing at home without fans would just feel weird.

Wasn’t there originally talk of using St George’s Park? 20+ pitches and get games sorted there.

However my guess would be stadiums are better set up for the TV coverage.

I just don’t see any of it happening. If there was any possibility of starting any time soon then other leagues wouldn’t be cancelling their games. The UK is amongst the worst hit for us to go against the grain again would be moronic.

Watching these games it always surprises me how narrow England were. Also a midfielder 4 of Beckham Hargreaves Butt and Scholes. We really did just ignore the left of midfield that this team was sorely lacking.

Pochettino playing for Argentina is pretty cool. I never really think of him as someone that’s part of the generation I watched more just before hand.

The games and podcast the BBC have put on have been pretty good at offering a break from the more serious things happening around the world.

The next F1 e-prix is at 18:00 on the F1 YouTube channel.

Gone for George Russell at 16/1

The words of Steve Parish Crystal Parish chairman

"I've seen all the proposals for training and travel and, while there are challenges, those proposals offer a level of protection to players, staff and officials that I believe will render Premier League football one of the safest places in society to co-exist, much safer than a journey to the supermarket at present," said Parish.

Wasn’t there originally talk of using St George’s Park? 20+ pitches and get games sorted there.

However my guess would be stadiums are better set up for the TV coverage.

I just don’t see any of it happening. If there was any possibility of starting any time soon then other leagues wouldn’t be cancelling their games. The UK is amongst the worst hit for us to go against the grain again would be moronic.

Yeah that was one proposal with squads being quarantined at training grounds/hotels for 2 months non stop to finish the season basically creating a bubble around each squad no one goes in or out of the bubble etc.

Dunno they setup temporary stuff pretty quickly for cup games just need a few scaffolders haha!

Would feel rubbish watching them play on a training pitch there’s talk of sky testing tech that allows them to put cgi fans into the seats which would be even more mad.

The only thing I’d say is the PL is big business and a big part of the UK brand abroad so I think they’ll have a bit more political clout than the french league does but I tend to agree there’s no point finishing just for the sake of it needs to be done as close to normal conditions as possible.

Financially preparing for the worst probably is the best plan in terms of survival for clubs which is why I think a few PL teams were quick to jump on the furlough scheme this period for any business is all about harvesting cash you need to get as much money in your account as possible.

Going to be some tough talks with players with clubs losing 20%-40% of revenue from matchday players are going to have to take some big cuts and any hope of big spending in transfer markets this summer is surely over. Reality maybe setting in of no European football next season as well which means the bigger clubs having another chunk of revenue knocked off which means another tough talk with players. Good time for Alexis Sanchez to role back into town on £500k a week :oops:

No fans means no football below premier league and maybe the championship but no other league is financially viable without fans attending as they won't have any money to pay players. Even the championship would struggle and most of these clubs already make losses every year chasing the premiership dream.

I think the bigger worry is without the game for so long will the fans actually come back in the numbers they used to or will many realise there's better ways to spend a weekend your hardcore will probably be itching to get back but maybe football will lose the casual fans which some might say is a good thing.

Lets hope it's not quite that bad and fans are back in stadiums for half the season.

Perhaps we’ll see a return of lower league football before hand?

Was thinking about it last night and countries have gone different routes that put an end to different levels of football. For instance Hungary have banned gathering of over 500 people. But Ireland and France have banned gatherings of over 5,000 people. If the government went that route then Leagues 2 and below could play. If that number was later raised to 10k it could see league 1 return too.

If as part of the phased return we see gatherings slowly get larger we could see a phased return through the pyramid of football.

If it's 5,000 why not let 5,000 people into a PL ground for example? I think it's more likely to work top down rather than bottom up in terms of fans returning because the clubs at the top can probably afford the extra security costs that will come with new regulations.

It's the social distancing question I guess how do you deal with that curveball in terms of an event realistically until that restriction is relaxed or removed it's very hard to see any sort of football crowd being allowed to gather in the same way a music venue etc.

We might be allowed to go but all have to wear masks for example we just don't know imagine the queues at the toilets normally only 1 sink for about 100 urinals in a football toilet and you're lucky if there isn't something p*ssing in the sink too. Maybe they close the food and drink stands in the ground and extend half time to 30 minutes to give more people time to use the facilities for example.

Very hard for these clubs to plan anything until they hear what the government are going to allow them to do we've pretty much told nothing changes this week but they might share with us some of the plans on how we come out of lockdown which might give them something they can work with.

The only solution is to have all matches played on FIFA, with the real players controlling themselves. I'd rather have this (idiotic) solution than play behind closed doors or at neutral venues or any of the other cockamamie solutions. This one at least the players, staff, and fans are safe.

The potential restarting of the German season is seeing a few problems. Salomon Kalou was seen shaking hands with his Hertha Berlin team mates. 10 players from the top two divisions have tested positive. This is out of about 1,700 tests but still even a small number poses questions of the safety of everyone.

Think there was similar things when Bayern went back one of their players was seen jumping on his team mates back when he saw him.

We are all creatures of habit this will require almost total re-programming of even the most basic of instinct like greeting a friend with a handshake it's a total culture change to the way things are traditionally done and how quickly can we change those habits.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back