Coronavirus in sport

I think the fans will be targetting them next once they get through the owners they'll be asking for the changes to the CL format due in a few years to be reviewed again.

From what I read the traffic lights only applied to returning back to the UK a lot of the countries on our green list still require quarantines when you enter them but Portugal had expected to change their current restrictions in the next few weeks but sounds like that might be getting delayed.

I assume "state of calamity" is a literal translation of a Portuguese phrase more likely means a state of emergency.

Will UEFA move the game again if the restrictions aren't lifted?

UEFA now reported to be moving the super cup from Belfast to Instanbul.

Seems stupid when at least 1 of the teams in it will be from England and currently UK is targeting zero restrictions by June/July

Talks still on going about the Euro's finals at Wembley.

They've agreed to give the semi final and finals a 60,000 capacity as test events so 2/3 full which will make them the biggest test event so far.

The last sticking point is this exemption for the UEFA officials/guests when it comes to quarantines I don't care what anyone says this simply cannot be allowed to happen when the people of this country are still living under restrictions.

The government are proposing restrictions on the 2,500 VIPs which would restrict their interactions with the general public almost creating a giant bubble. To me that's still not good enough we shouldn't be allowing anyone an exemption to attend a bloody football match that they aren't even playing in. If they need to be here get here 10 days before do your isolation and go to the game.

If UEFA want to act like that then let them take it elsewhere.

I hate UEFA. It's a massive shame to me that the super league was so badly devised.

The solution to UEFA is to reform UEFA properly same with FIFA putting the power into hands of club owners/presidents would not have been good for the game as a whole.

I can see it from the UEFA side the UK promised them restriction free finals which suited their contractual commitments now because things didn't go to plan in the UK in terms of removing restrictions we're moving the goalposts. UEFA are right to say no this is what we agreed you sort it out and if you can't we reserve the rights to change the venue to somewhere that does meet the requirements.

It's very easy to portray our problem as their problem because the reason this has gone tits up is because of decisions our government made.

Just move the games. Don't try and force the gov to break their own rules.

Either the game can be played, or it can't.

I agree the gov has a massive part in the blame game here.

Good that he's spoken out but still worrying how many athletes aren't getting vaccinated especially when you consider what it can do to your body if you do catch it.

In Aug/Sep 18% EFL players were fully vaccinated, EPL was rumoured to be 35%

Currently 49% EFL players are full vaccinated.

I wonder why footballers are more against the vaccine than society and other sports.

United have low uptake I've just been reading.

It's not just footballers a lot of top sportsman aren't doing it.

The Australian government have said anyone that isn't vaccinated can't play in the Australian Open in January. So far djokovic is out.

Yeah, he's been anti vax in the press for ages

they said in the report football was behind other sports

Liverpool and Leeds 100% doubled

Footballers come from a wide variety of backgrounds and for a very long time will have been warned about taking certain products that could land them in trouble with doping officials and potentially ruin their careers. These are lads who aren't allowed to take basic medicine when they have the a cold/flu as it'll result in failed drug tests.

It is worrying though that players aren't getting their jabs Klopp actually gave a fantastic response in his press conference the other day when asked about it.

Football I think could and possibly should be doing more to encourage players/fans to go and get their vaccinations.

Sounds like there's serious doubts over the Ashes going ahead as Australia's lockdown rules are so severe players potentially will be required to quarantine for the entire period they are there only leaving hotels to play matches as even crossing state lines in some cases will require isolation. The England players quite rightly are saying they don't want to spend months locked up in hotels for the sake of playing cricket if it needs to be played under those conditions then why are they going.

Ashes are going ahead.

I think you are implying footballers are stupid by saying they think they will get done for doping by taking a vaccine. I very much doubt that is the case behind any of them not taking it.

I imagine most of them think they are young and fit so why bother, that's where the education needs to come in.

No what I'm saying is they've lived a culture where you have to check everything you put in your body and your body is your livelihood so when they see the scaremonger stories about risks of blood clots or reactions to vaccines or long term issues they probably do approach with caution. I imagine the average footballer is not a very trusting person given all the stuff they put up with outside of football so they can often be hard to get through to.

They live in a bubble so once a few start sharing these scare stories they'll go around quick the clubs need to really build that trust and get the right people in to tell them this is safe and to get their jabs done quickly.

Not very many players are prepared to say in public if they've had the jab or not.

I think all the long term effects are from people unvaccinated, not vaccinated so it can't be that.

The doctor on the radio implied it was because they thought they were young and fit so not at risk. This is where they need educating, on the effects on everyone, not just themselves.

Well the long term effects are essentially unknown because the vaccine has only existed for 12-18 months but there's nothing in the research/testing to suggest there's any long term impacts to taking it.

The problem is vaccination has been allowed to become a political topic which is straight up isn't it's a health issue. As Klopp said in his press conference is it an infringement on my rights that I'm not allowed to drink and drive because not only could I hurt/kill myself but also others. No we all agree that's a perfectly sensible and rationale approach to take but yet when we discuss a vaccination we act like there's two sides to the argument when really there isn't.

Them being fit and young will hold a few of them back but that needs the clubs to get the right people in to talk to them listen to the fears and hopefully guide them to the correct information relating to the vaccination and it's impact on the body.

Longer term given covid is never going away you wonder if clubs will avoid signing players who don't have vaccinations.

You are taking a huge risk with your career exposing yourself to a virus that can cripple your lungs and for those who get it badly it's unlikely they will ever fully recover as the body attempts to repairs itself after the virus is gone.

Given how sick Dean Henderson was you'd hope that would convince our players to go and get the jab.

Crazy scenes in Portugal this weekend.

Belenenses reported to the league they had 17 covid cases amongst players and staff in the build up to their league with Benfica.

The league told them the game had to be played so they started the game with only 9 players including a goalkeeper who was playing in midfield. Benfica were 7-0 up by half time when Belenenses came out with only 7 players for the second half and the game was eventually abandoned when a player went down injured leaving them with only 6 players forcing the ref to abandon the game.

uniteds game with Young boys could be moved to a neutral ground. Because new Swiss rules would mean the team had to isolate on return.

Swiss FA asking about special dispensation for them.

Lucky for us the game doesn't matter as we finish top regardless but Young Boys could still take the Europa League spot with a win.

Can't imagine Utd will be to thrilled if the game was moved to a neutral venue given all our players would need to PCR test upon return to the UK under current restrictions. Not sure if the footballers will still have those exemption Visa's as this could create problems for all the away teams in the last round of european fixtures as more countries look to take precautions due to this new variant.

With the way this thing is spreading could cause a lot of problems for clubs around the busy christmas schedule.

Premier League clubs have been told to beef up their coronavirus protocals for players and staff in light of the latest government advice.

Clubs will also now be forced to carry out Covid checks with fans upon entry.

The way things are going I wouldn't rule out reductions in capacity or even stadium closures again in the next few weeks, I really hope it doesn't get to that stage.

Interesting case here for Kimmich who had been named as someone who hadn't taken up the vaccination actually getting lasting damage which has kept him out for at least 2 months.

I'm a bit surprised footballers haven't been quick to take vaccinations given the damage this can do to your lungs which are an essential part of your ability to perform as a professional.

Bayern also fined him when he was initially forced to quarantine as he had rejected his vaccination any player who's not vaccinated that has to self isolate isn't paid by the club.

Burnley vs Watford called off 2 hours before kick off how did it get that close?

I’d be amazed if we aren’t back behind closed doors after this weekends games.

Leicester vs Spurs is called off.

At this rate it's hard to see any of this weekends games going ahead.

No word on our game against Brighton but has to be in severe doubt surely.

Think there will be a fair few postponements in the coming weeks which will screw up the calendar entirely.

Yep, wouldn't be suprised atall if we have seen the last of a capacity Old Trafford for a while, which is very sad and seems like were just going back in time, but not much any of us can do.

Really not interested in behind closed doors game even as a person who watches on TV it's just not real football it will suck going back to that but it feels almost inevitable.

Maybe this second wave will change the minds of the players and staff who so far have turned down vaccinations.

Not that it matters but the first person to die from Omicron in the UK was apparently someone who was healthy but not vaccinated as he'd got himself wrapped up in that whole "plandemic" thing.

Nothing ideal about behind closed doors and it would be really tough to go back to that with piped crowd applause and all that malarky.
But I will take it over no football at all.
There is no appetite to go back to this so hopefully they can possibly come up with a reduced half capacity plan, or something.

So it's reported in MEN its cancelled as United only have 7 first team players available.
Also reported at least 19 players and staff members tested positive since the weekend. You would think they could have done better than that.
The Covid -19 :rolleyes:

Klopp not wanting a break, nothing to do with the rearranged fixtures probably being during the ACN :p

Well there's that plus the fact there's just no room in the calendar to fit the games in.

If we stop playing now we risk extending the season which then creates problems as next season needs to start earlier than normal due to the world cup being mid season. The players really do need a proper break this summer since it all restarted the top players have basically been going non stop.

Klopp probably wants to avoid the situation we had last season where we played 3 games in 5 days it's just not possible.

If the games stopped they'd have to give serious consideration to abandoning the league cup at the current stage and possibly the FA Cup too just to free up gaps but that has huge knock on effects.

One thing we might see come out of this is players being forced to get vaccinations Klopp to his credit is one of the few managers who's stuck his head above water

As if not having the football isn't bad enough I have had to spend my evening (at the insistence of another) watching two fairies prancing about a dance floor and now it's Paddy "prat" McGuiness!!
Its enough tae send you to the pub!

As if not having the football isn't bad enough I have had to spend my evening (at the insistence of another) watching two fairies prancing about a dance floor and now it's Paddy "prat" McGuiness!!
Its enough tae send you to the pub!

Got a problem with two fellas dancing together?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back