Coronavirus in sport

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Only a matter of time before European competitions suffer the same fate in my opinion.

The Euros pretty much are not happening. Would there be any point playing behind closed doors? No one is traveling. The Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.
Yeah I'd have to agree there. So much planning involved for a major tournament and no guarantee that this virus will be under control.

We’re going to be lucky if the league isn’t postponed or canceled. I love optimism but European competitions and music festivals are things from the time before.

Obviously the situation with cases is very serious so they need to take these measures to help ease the spread. In this country, the ratio of cases to people is minuscule right now but obviously it will get worse before it gets better. Eventually I think we will see games played behind closed doors here but I do think the season will ultimately be played out. Not very hopeful for Euro 2020 though.

I’d be surprised if anything goes ahead. A lot of large events have been cancelled through to September in industries bar sporting events.

My guess is Euro 2020 will be put back to next summer or cancelled with the world cup in November 2022 rather than June there's probably space to accommodate it. The issue with next summer is FIFA has a new club competition in China that launches next summer so you'll have conflicting federations fighting over players as you can't expect players to do both.

This would potentially allow all European leagues and competitions to shut down for a month to try and help get the virus under control but what it will do is create problems for clubs as they'll need to be paying players while games are postponed without the income coming in and with so many clubs living a hand to mouth existence especially down the pyramid it could cause major financial stress.

There's 2 weeks of European football coming up my guess is these games will go ahead but if things haven't calmed after this they'll have to take more serious actions.

The Euros pretty much are not happening. Would there be any point playing behind closed doors? No one is traveling. The Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I guess if they played behind closed doors, millions would still watch on TV, but it just wouldn’t be the same and obviously they’d lose out on so much revenue from ticket sales. I’ve been so detached from following the whole thing. My friend only told me yesterday that Glastonbury festival might get cancelled. Watching the euros on TV and Glastonbury were just about the only things I had planned for the summer. I guess it’s back to the drawing board then.

Austria bans events of over 500 people. Our game against LASK will therefore be behind closed doors

Think it’s inevitable for the premier league now. It’s a shame because the atmosphere really make the games.

I read an article yesterday that the FA will look to live stream the games that are not televised so can reach a wide audience. So essentially the 3pm Saturday games.

Think the Wolves game against Olympiakos is in doubt as the owner has tested positive for the virus.

Man City vs Arsenal postponed after some Arsenal players met with the Nottingham Forest owner.

Which is absolutely ridiculous. The self isolation period is 14 days. If they aren’t showing symptoms yet then they’re fine.

Yeah they should be fine but I guess because the game was less than 14 days ago they are being extra cautious.

It was 13 ago. Think this is over the top.

Especially when UEFA at Wolves request have refused to postpone tomorrow’s Wolves game.

We’re going to be lucky if the league isn’t postponed or canceled. I love optimism but European competitions and music festivals are things from the time before.
I think it's inevitable now. As cases increase the pressure will come for serious action to be taken.

It was 13 ago. Think this is over the top.

Especially when UEFA at Wolves request have refused to postpone tomorrow’s Wolves game.

That's the mad part that Wolves game should not be happening given the Olympiakos owner who's been mixing with players and staff has got the virus.

NBA season suspended after a player tests positive.

It’ll only take one player to test positive in the Premier League then I think it’s done for the season.

I’ve read that the premier league will announce today that all games will be played behind closed doors and that pubs will be banned from showing games.

I’ve read that the premier league will announce today that all games will be played behind closed doors and that pubs will be banned from showing games.

They've been waiting for the government to make the call apparently the alert level will change today and the PL will be forced to close the stadiums given the player reactions to this in other countries I think there's a reasonable chance all games will be suspended as the players are rightfully saying why should they put themselves at risk.

Not that it will be potentially dangerous to the players as they're all young and healthy but they have families that they won't want to risk exposing them to.

you've got to feel for Liverpool, waiting all those years and then winning the league in an empty stadium.

Just seen this ‘If the league is cancelled we could have the best banner ever. ‘Covid-19. Scousers-18’

Whatever happens, we would be out the CL again if they took current standings or cancelled it and went back to last years standings.

There will be uproar whatever they do, someone will miss out.

La Liga stopped for two weeks.

Madrid quarantined because a basketballer who uses their facilities has a positive result.

Whatever happens, we would be out the CL again if they took current standings or cancelled it and went back to last years standings.

There will be uproar whatever they do, someone will miss out.

We're 5th if City's ban is upheld we get in so all is not lost.

It's more the relegation/promotion thing that will be the problem for get the European stuff those clubs will be fine but imagine Leeds not getting promoted because they effectively void the league.

If football is closed for 2-4 weeks quite a few clubs in league one or league two won't survive because without the money coming in they can't afford to pay the bills.

If the Euro's is cancelled. We could in theory afford a 8 week break now. Taking you to the end of Mid May. 2 months to fit in 9 lots of games. Month off. New season to start mid August.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back