Contract talks between Martial and United have stalled

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is this true?

I personally tend not to believe things like this. Isn't it more likely the the club put a few feelers out there to certain players around Xmas time like Martial and like De Gea, about contact extension talks. Then arrange to all sit down at a given date with agents and Woodward and get it sorted.

If you asked a player do you want to extend your contact that's got 2 years on it and they said no surely we would have heard about that before? It makes sense of a club to ask first because then they can judge is Martial going to stay or do we need to sell him before he runs his contact down and leaves for free.

I just doubt contact talks with the big guns happened at Xmas and it was more likely just a conversation about doing it at a later date. So nothing could have stalled.

It depends on a number of things

1) what did they ask for in terms of wages?
2) did they try to set a deadline to conclude negotiations?
3) do Utd feel that the player is actually unhappy?
4) is there any risk to Utd if it drags out?

My reading of this is his agent is trying to get it wrapped up quickly no doubt player and agent will be looking at a big pay day when he renews his contract which I think currently runs to 2020 so Utd will want to tie him down long term.

However, if his agent is looking for Pogba/Sanchez level wages then there is a problem because Martial hasn’t earned that kind of status yet.

I think he’s pretty happy at Utd and if Spurs are interested they won’t have the £100m required to buy him and probably can’t afford to pay the wages he wants, the agent will know getting a new deal from Utd is probably the best he can get for his client.

I wouldn't speak too quickly about him being happy at Utd. Maybe he was until Sanchez came and took his place. Be interesting to see how much game time he gets between now and end of the season in his favoured position. Let's not forget he's already been swapped from a CF to a LW/M by LVG.

I can see him wanting out if things stay as they are and I really couldn't blame him either.

He has got 18 months to go on his current contract with united having an option to extend it by another year. So no wonder the club isn’t offering a new deal. We will probably start contract talks in the summer.

I would not blame him one bit if he wanted reassurances, our best outfield player this season by a mile and is replaced, now asked to play out of position to accommodate a player who is not and has not done half as much as him this season, if I were in his position I would be fuming.

I think the team selection Saturday could be a massive thing for him regarding his contract, if he is on the bench he might look at it and think "you know what there will be plenty of takers for me"

I'm still not sure that he missed the Palace game because of what your saying. The 'he come to us saying he didn't feel quite right' excuse seemed well sketchy. I think he has a bee in his bonnet at the minute and rightly so.

I don't care how pissed off you are, if you're fit you make yourself available. If players are deciding themselves whether to show up for a match then they can leave.

As a professional footballer you are paid to do what the manager asks you to do and do it to the best of your ability that is your job, if you don't particularly like the role you are being given then by all means consider your options and ask to leave.

I think there is a bit of an ego with this kid but we helped create that monster by making him a £50m footballer as a teenager and this is a kid who's been hot property since a very young age when he was coming through at Lyon. He probably hasn't been given the star billing he maybe expected after his first season with the club. They changed his squad number last season apparently without consulting him and gave it to Zlatan and now this season despite being back to somewhere near his best we've signed Sanchez who's taken his position.

So I think he's probably within his rights to be considering his options because this is the key stage of his career where he needs to kick on to the next level.

In terms of his contract discussions with Utd it really depends what him and his agent are asking for as to how it will likely go we know the top earners at Utd are Pogba, Lukaku, DDG & Sanchez on somewhere around the £250-300k a week mark. Lingard is reported to be on £100k a week so I imagine he's at the bottom end of the scale in terms of salary so if he wants parity with the top earners then we probably have got a problem if he's happy being somewhere in the middle then it is probably a bit more simple.

I sometimes wonder if Martial is a player that the club are desperate to keep but the manager wouldn't have a problem moving on similar how I feel about Luke Shaw because I think there is friction with the manager and these players at times and there's no compromise with Mourinho it's his way or the door.

As with all this stuff there's a lot of noise but not a lot actual fact it's all sources this and sources that even my suggestion above is just based on a general vibe I get between player and manager.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back